Langstone Campus

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Langstone Campus

Post by Pompey1985 »

I see the UoP is closing the halls there.

I wonder if this opens the door for say... A football ground?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Langstone Campus

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Transport links would need seriously upgrading.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Lost in Transportation wrote:Transport links would need seriously upgrading.
Agreed but so does pretty much anywhere on the island.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:
Agreed but so does pretty much anywhere on the island.
True. Looking at it, you could create a road at the Tangiers Road/Eastern Road junction to take traffic on the outside of Frog Lake, Duck Lake and Swan Lake. There's room for significant parking.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

That side of the island is the least developed. There is a hell of a lot of 'developable' land. I dare say lots of it is protected in the local plan / ldf but where there is a will there is a way.

I dare say all the university will do is sell it for housing otherwise.

Thinking a little more I'm sure you could get a training complex and stadium on that side of the island and give the university the training ground.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Would they though ?

I currently get the train down to FP for games, OK, the walk from Fratton station is further to get to the bottom of Locksway road but not that long a walk and i suspect most people who train it would still do the same.

Buses wouldn't need to be changed.

Anyone driving into FP either comes down the motorway or Eastern Road, this wont change, most people i know who drive park on the Locksway Road side anyway :D . Wack a big car park and slip road onto Milton common and jobs a good'un :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

It would be no further from our usual parking spot to the ground than fratton park is. We arrive from the motortway.

Shuttle buses from the station could be a touch.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

And the Hayling ferry may finally be a profitable proposition again.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

If the rumours of the U of P being our new shirt sponsor are correct - could there have been a deal along the lines of us having first refusal on their Langstone Site in exchange for a good shirt sponsorship deal?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Portchester PFC wrote:
Would they though ?

I currently get the train down to FP for games, OK, the walk from Fratton station is further to get to the bottom of Locksway road but not that long a walk and i suspect most people who train it would still do the same.

Anyone driving into FP either comes down the motorway or Eastern Road, this wont change, most people i know who drive park on the Locksway Road side anyway :D . Wack a big car park and slip road onto Milton common and jobs a good'un :D
All good points and appreciate them.

I think for the council any scheme would have to demonstrate transport considerations and the additional effect on the local population. They would also want to exploit the situation to improve transport links and that bottleneck after Tangiers is an issue. The other consideration is that emergency services would need a clear run to and from the stadium so that would require quick access to the Eastern Road for ambulances etc.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:
Would they though ?

I think for the council any scheme would have to demonstrate transport considerations and the additional effect on the local population. They would also want to exploit the situation to improve transport links and that bottleneck after Tangiers is an issue. The other consideration is that emergency services would need a clear run to and from the stadium so that would require quick access to the Eastern Road for ambulances etc.
Absolutely no doubt in my opinion that PCC would insist on a totally new road along the line of the current sea wall from the Eastern Road/Tangiers Road junction to the site. There would also need to be a major car parking facility.

Any such road would need to undertake a major environmental impact study because of its proximity to the shore line, wildlife, etc. But, given that Eastern Road already runs along the shore line, I don't think that this would be impossible.

The current walk from Fratton station to the stadium is 0.6 miles. The walk to any new stadium would add an extra mile - 1.6 miles total. That would be a bus journey for many people. [But at least there are three good pubs on the route - the Old House at Home, the Oyster House and the Thatched House.]

All this would add considerably to the costs and organisation related to the site. But it would be the only way to protect the local residential areas.

For me, a major attraction for moving to Locksway Road/Furze Lane would be a spectacular new stadium design on the waterfront looking out onto Langstone Harbour.

But would this really be better than a revamped, remodelled Fratton Park with 30k seating and easy access to the train station? I'm not so sure!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Milton End wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:
Would they though ?

Absolutely no doubt in my opinion that PCC would insist on a totally new road along the line of the current sea wall from the Eastern Road/Tangiers Road junction to the site. There would also need to be a major car parking facility.

Any such road would need to undertake a major environmental impact study because of its proximity to the shore line, wildlife, etc. But, given that Eastern Road already runs along the shore line, I don't think that this would be impossible.

The current walk from Fratton station to the stadium is 0.6 miles. The walk to any new stadium would add an extra mile - 1.6 miles total. That would be a bus journey for many people. [But at least there are three good pubs on the route - the Old House at Home, the Oyster House and the Thatched House.]

All this would add considerably to the costs and organisation related to the site. But it would be the only way to protect the local residential areas.

For me, a major attraction for moving to Locksway Road/Furze Lane would be a spectacular new stadium design on the waterfront looking out onto Langstone Harbour.

But would this really be better than a revamped, remodelled Fratton Park with 30k seating and easy access to the train station? I'm not so sure!

Don't forget our owners are in the entertainment business - I wonder if they think of the stadium as only part of the match day experience and are keen to look for an opportunity to develop a 'leisure complex' that would get use more than X number of Saturdays a year.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

"Don't forget our owners are in the entertainment business - I wonder if they think of the stadium as only part of the match day experience and are keen to look for an opportunity to develop a 'leisure complex' that would get use more than X number of Saturdays a year."

Accept this point entirely.

But wouldn't it also be possible to have all-year activities with a revamped Fratton Park? And with much better rail links than Langstone?

Many years ago, there was a plan to extend Eastern Road around the Langstone site and then across the harbour to the eastern end of the sea front by the Hayling ferry pontoon.

Now that extension, coupled with a spectacular new, all-year Langstone stadium, would be really interesting and imaginative. Maybe even reclaiming the mud flats for housing that link the Langstone Campus to the sea front near the Eastney sailing club?

Though the environmental impact would be considerable. And the investment would be massive!

Revamped Fratton is still my favoured option. But I accept that the middle of the Fratton/Milton housing area is not ideal for the next fifty years.

Maybe the earlier Horsea Island location is still a possibility?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

The most accessable stadium proposal was the hard.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:The most accessable stadium proposal was the hard.
Yes and that got clobbered by vested interests.