Langstone Campus

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Langstone Campus

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Milton End wrote:Many years ago, there was a plan to extend Eastern Road around the Langstone site and then across the harbour to the eastern end of the sea front by the Hayling ferry pontoon.

Now that extension, coupled with a spectacular new, all-year Langstone stadium, would be really interesting and imaginative. Maybe even reclaiming the mud flats for housing that link the Langstone Campus to the sea front near the Eastney sailing club?

Though the environmental impact would be considerable. And the investment would be massive!
I like this idea. Can't see it happening but it could be sensational.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Milton End wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:Transport links would need seriously upgrading.
Would they though ?

I currently get the train down to FP for games, OK, the walk from Fratton station is further to get to the bottom of Locksway road but not that long a walk and i suspect most people who train it would still do the same.

Buses wouldn't need to be changed.

Anyone driving into FP either comes down the motorway or Eastern Road, this wont change, most people i know who drive park on the Locksway Road side anyway :D . Wack a big car park and slip road onto Milton common and jobs a good'un :D
All good points and appreciate them.

I think for the council any scheme would have to demonstrate transport considerations and the additional effect on the local population. They would also want to exploit the situation to improve transport links and that bottleneck after Tangiers is an issue. The other consideration is that emergency services would need a clear run to and from the stadium so that would require quick access to the Eastern Road for ambulances etc.
Absolutely no doubt in my opinion that PCC would insist on a totally new road along the line of the current sea wall from the Eastern Road/Tangiers Road junction to the site. There would also need to be a major car parking facility.

Any such road would need to undertake a major environmental impact study because of its proximity to the shore line, wildlife, etc. But, given that Eastern Road already runs along the shore line, I don't think that this would be impossible.

The current walk from Fratton station to the stadium is 0.6 miles. The walk to any new stadium would add an extra mile - 1.6 miles total. That would be a bus journey for many people. [But at least there are three good pubs on the route - the Old House at Home, the Oyster House and the Thatched House.]

All this would add considerably to the costs and organisation related to the site. But it would be the only way to protect the local residential areas.

For me, a major attraction for moving to Locksway Road/Furze Lane would be a spectacular new stadium design on the waterfront looking out onto Langstone Harbour.

But would this really be better than a revamped, remodelled Fratton Park with 30k seating and easy access to the train station? I'm not so sure!

Don't forget our owners are in the entertainment business - I wonder if they think of the stadium as only part of the match day experience and are keen to look for an opportunity to develop a 'leisure complex' that would get use more than X number of Saturdays a year.
85, that is a great point and the location down there would fit the bill perfectly.

Also, i am sure there is sufficient space there for Pompey to relocate the training facilities so it is all there in one place, would be an excellent set up. I am starting to like the idea of this almost as much as the white elephant that was the Hard project :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Portchester PFC wrote:
85, that is a great point and the location down there would fit the bill perfectly.

Also, i am sure there is sufficient space there for Pompey to relocate the training facilities so it is all there in one place, would be an excellent set up. I am starting to like the idea of this almost as much as the white elephant that was the Hard project :D
Sort of thing the Yanks love isn't it. Portsmouth brands itself as the waterfront city - what better way to cement this by another water front development. Only thing going against it is that it isn't a brownfield site. With the right mix of 'sales', planning consideration and giving something back to the people of Portsmouth. Wouldn't be a short term project but its the sort of set up i believe a sustainable football club needs - which is if to be believed the aims of Tornante.

#LangstoneStadium
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Portchester PFC wrote:

Sort of thing the Yanks love isn't it. Portsmouth brands itself as the waterfront city - what better way to cement this by another water front development. Only thing going against it is that it isn't a brownfield site. With the right mix of 'sales', planning consideration and giving something back to the people of Portsmouth. Wouldn't be a short term project but its the sort of set up i believe a sustainable football club needs - which is if to be believed the aims of Tornante.

#LangstoneStadium
Completely agree, just had a quick measure up, area of FP is approximately 223,000 sq ft, Roko site is approximately 290,000 sq ft and the langstone site at a conservative estimate is approximately 1,432,000 sq ft, so plenty of room for a bigger ground, training facilities and a whole heap of entertainment and parking !!

I don't usually do hashtags as i am an old barsteward, but i think i will start supporting #LangstoneStadium :D
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

This is the closest to social media I get and that's my first hashtag.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I suppose if Langstone stadium were to come into existence, I would have the last laugh on my wife... I was refused Fratton as a boy's name, but ended up with Langston (had to cut the e off or yanks would call him Lang-stone).

I'll take the win and I'm sure my son would be chuffed.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

I think this is a horrible idea.

Firstly, (and selfishly), City of Portsmouth Hockey Club play all their games on that site, as do many other hockey, football, rugby clubs... I'm pretty sure I've seen lacrosse played there too. Not just university teams, but local community clubs too.

The current access to that corner of Portsmouth is appalling.

Any new road would have to be a widening of moorings way, not a dual carraige way up the shoreline. That is one of the last green areas on the island for walkers, cyclist, and dog walkers alike, and thats not even beginning to think about all the wildlife that refuges there.

Once you get a road to the Langstone campus, then what? A giant car park with only one entrance exit? That will be horrible to get into, and an absolute nightmare to get out of.

There just isn't the network of side roads around to absorb the car parking. Even if you also consider alternative access from Locksway road direction, the side roads off there are all small and won't offer much help with parking.
Portsmouth may be a small island, but Langstone campus is about as far away from a train station as any point on the island. Yes, it's walkable but most people won't go that far, certainly not in the rain.

I like the ambition, but I hate the execution.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

This Time Next Year wrote:I think this is a horrible idea.

Any new road would have to be a widening of moorings way, not a dual carraige way up the shoreline. That is one of the last green areas on the island for walkers, cyclist, and dog walkers alike, and thats not even beginning to think about all the wildlife that refuges there.

With respect, this is simply not correct.

Any new road would run from the Tangiers Road junction directly to the Langstone site along the route of the current sea wall. It was originally mooted years ago because of the current poor access on that side of Portsmouth to the sea front.

There would be absolutely no direct impact on Moorings Way, Warren Avenue and all the other roads that join this.

With regard to the current uni playing fields, they are valuable housing zoned land that is highly likely to be sold. All the sports pitches are under major threat - regardless of whether a Langstone PFC stadium is developed. Your only hope is to identify bird species that cannot feed elsewhere.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Is it not just the student accommodation on the Langstone campus that is closing, rather than the whole site?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Claygate wrote:Is it not just the student accommodation on the Langstone campus that is closing, rather than the whole site?
Strictly speaking, you are absolutely correct.

My understanding is that it is only the current student housing that is being closed. It will be sold for redevelopment either as housing or, possibly, as a new site for a PFC stadium.

But the whole area has been under threat for years. For example, the NHS has now sold most, if not all, of the St James' Hospital site for housing redevelopment after a major planning battle with the local residents (which they lost.)

The uni has said that they want to keep the pitches running alongside Furze Lane. But my guess is that they have a long term alternative much closer to the redeveloped campus in Portsmouth city centre: HMS Temeraire has unused pitches for at least part of the week. There are other areas in the north of the city.

The uni needs funds for its other campus investment in the city centre, e.g. its new sports centre and the Victoria baths site. A lucrative offer to the uni for the Furze Lane fields would be difficult to resist. Planning permission for more housing would be easily obtained.

You can guess the rest................
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

This Time Next Year wrote:Any new road would have to be a widening of moorings way
As I stated earlier, any new stadium development elsewhere in the city boundaries would have to have fast links for emergency services. A widening of Moorings Way just wouldn't fulfill that criteria for this hypothetical site.
This Time Next Year wrote:Once you get a road to the Langstone campus, then what? A giant car park with only one entrance exit? That will be horrible to get into, and an absolute nightmare to get out of.
Have you tried driving up the Eastern Road after a match? Its pretty much the same experience. :)
This Time Next Year wrote:There just isn't the network of side roads around to absorb the car parking. Even if you also consider alternative access from Locksway road direction, the side roads off there are all small and won't offer much help with parking.
This is why there would need to be a significant offer of parking on the site.
This Time Next Year wrote:Portsmouth may be a small island, but Langstone campus is about as far away from a train station as any point on the island. Yes, it's walkable but most people won't go that far, certainly not in the rain.
Having shuttle buses, park and ride etc would help with that. Plenty of away grounds are a distance further from train stations than what Fratton to Furze would be.
This Time Next Year wrote:Firstly, (and selfishly), City of Portsmouth Hockey Club play all their games on that site, as do many other hockey, football, rugby clubs... I'm pretty sure I've seen lacrosse played there too. Not just university teams, but local community clubs too.
This I have a lot of sympathy for.

There's a lot of issues with any move anywhere. It is just nice to have some idle speculation on #Langstonestadium
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

Post by This Time Next Year »

My apologies, I mispoke...

Technically it wouldn't HAVE to be a widening of Moorings way, I just meant that personally that is the only viable solution I can see.

Technically speaking, I of course accept that we could have a bridge from Hayling, a junction on the M27 leading to a tunnel under Farlington marshes and langstone harbour, a fleet of flying hover cars, a spanking new monorail, or indeed, a nice wide road cutting through one of the last natural green spaces on the island.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

[quote="Lost in Transportation
This Time Next Year wrote:Once you get a road to the Langstone campus, then what? A giant car park with only one entrance exit? That will be horrible to get into, and an absolute nightmare to get out of.
Have you tried driving up the Eastern Road after a match? Its pretty much the same experience. :)
[/quote]

Ever been to Oxford Utd? That is also one exit. I sat in my car for an hour before it was even worth turning the engine on. Hence, the wise don't use the car park, and it's a real mess.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

This sounds an enticing idea, but I still think that the potential site that ticks the most boxes is Farlington - apart from the fabled wildfowl of course!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote:Ever been to Oxford Utd? That is also one exit. I sat in my car for an hour before it was even worth turning the engine on. Hence, the wise don't use the car park, and it's a real mess.
Sounds like the Eastern Road... :wink:

You would need to have priority signalling to get people onto the Eastern Road. But as Milton End discussed, the road from Tangiers junction doesn't have to stop at the stadium. Also you could have exits onto Locksway and Moorings also. That could give three dispersal points rather than one.