Big Game tonight.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Big Game tonight.

Post by Pompey1985 »

2-1 Pompey.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: Big Game tonight.

Post by Portchester PFC »

It is indeed, we could also do with the Gills and the Shrews doing us a favour as well !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Not bothered about Rotherham massively as I think they have done enough. Shrewsbury is the one we need to win.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Both Charlton and Peterborough have to play Blackburn and Shrewsbury yet.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Pompey1985 wrote:Not bothered about Rotherham massively as I think they have done enough. Shrewsbury is the one we need to win.
Although it is unlikely we will, all the time we can mathematically catch them then i am interested, fingers crossed :thumb
Heaven's Light Our Guide
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I am sitting at work, preparing for a very long lunch as I watch I-Follow and hopefully a Pompey victory. Anything less will be disastrous for our chances, but I have this feeling that the team will want his after a solid performance against Plymouth. we control our destiny, but as said above... wouldn't mind extra help.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Wow....everything that could go wrong, went wrong.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Well perhaps we can now return to reality and be happy (as I'm sure most of us would have been last August) at the prospect of finishing 8th, 9th or even 10th this season. That in itself will be good progress.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Well perhaps we can now return to reality and be happy (as I'm sure most of us would have been last August) at the prospect of finishing 8th, 9th or even 10th this season. That in itself will be good progress.
I actually agree. I thought mid table would be a good season, then frustrated at watching some of the inconsistent performances through the Winter months and then, like last season, began to believe. Whereas last season was an awesome story, this is more like reality slapping one in the face.

That said, a win at home on Saturday and we'll all be up for the chance again..... we just want the team to be successful. the life of a Pompey fan is highs and lows by the week.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I thought that if we went into the final 5 games of the season with a chance of something to still play for then that'd be a good season. So many teams' season has already finished so at least we've still got some interest.

Last night just sounded like one of those nights, defensive lapses happen. A big factor I think has been the lack of goals from our attacking midfielders, it seems that generally if Pitman doesn't score then no-one else will.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Well perhaps we can now return to reality and be happy (as I'm sure most of us would have been last August) at the prospect of finishing 8th, 9th or even 10th this season. That in itself will be good progress.
My pre-season prediction on here was 9th.

Its been an interesting season where the weaknesses of the team have been noticeable at this level and Jackett has had to compensate to manage/disguise those flaws. For the most part, Jackett has been successful in maximising the return from this squad. They have been effective without being convincing. With the injury to Rose after he formed an effective partnership with Close, that loss was never replaced in January. An opportunity missed which given the nature of football don't often come around.

Yet there remains an outside chance of the play-offs if Pompey win their remaining three games as none of our rivals are that convincing either.

Still, I'm assuming that Jackett will be recruiting for League One (Division Three for the Kid) this summer. There are definite strengths to build upon and it has felt like Jackett is stamping his blueprint onto the team in recent weeks. Given his track record, I'm expecting a more athletic powerful side next season. We won't have the biggest budget in the league but can we have the most effective squad?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
My pre-season prediction on here was 9th.

Its been an interesting season where the weaknesses of the team have been noticeable at this level and Jackett has had to compensate to manage/disguise those flaws. For the most part, Jackett has been successful in maximising the return from this squad. They have been effective without being convincing. With the injury to Rose after he formed an effective partnership with Close, that loss was never replaced in January. An opportunity missed which given the nature of football don't often come around.

Yet there remains an outside chance of the play-offs if Pompey win their remaining three games as none of our rivals are that convincing either.

Still, I'm assuming that Jackett will be recruiting for League One (Division Three for the Kid) this summer. There are definite strengths to build upon and it has felt like Jackett is stamping his blueprint onto the team in recent weeks. Given his track record, I'm expecting a more athletic powerful side next season. We won't have the biggest budget in the league but can we have the most effective squad?
I agree - the loss of Rose seemed to be the downward turning point in our season - and it took too long to figure how to compensate. But we’re still there or thereabouts, I don’t expect anything from this season, and we can already call it a comparative success in terms of expectations. It’s just gratifying to know with limited budget and a rebuilding phase we’re able to knock on the door of the Championship. Even if we don’t make it through the door just yet.

Jackett has come in for some stick, but I like how he has gone for the jugular in games. Last night was a good example (albeit not in our favour) of throwing caution to the wind to get a result, instead of shutting up shop once the equaliser went in. That shows in the number of wins we’ve had this season, instead of draws.

I like how Pitman has really got stuck in as well in recent games. For a while I thought he was just going through the motions, but right now he looks so fired up. I don’t think there’s anyone in the team who wants that playoff spot more.

I can’t stand the phrase ‘must-win’ because its rarely true, but I guess this Saturday it pretty much is. 7 points from the last 9 will probably do it, but I’d argue the wins must be Charlton and Peterborough.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."