Pompey v Charlton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Pompey v Charlton

Post by Pompey1985 »

pompeygunner wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:I think that comes from the manager though - there is no passion in his voice or animation about him.

Equally we can't have an identity when the like up and formation changes each week and multiple times through the game. These are league one footballers and I think it would be better of we nailed one system rather than tried to be clever and play fluid formations - they just aren't capable of.
I think over the 50yrs of supporting I've seen every type of manager possible, from the ranters to those who are quiet. Some of those who were like lunatics on the touchline, Cotterill for example, it didn't do the team much good. Its not about being loud or being quiet. Its about results & then the style of play. Not who can shout loudest on the touchline ( & make themselves look a right berk too boot).

It's about the results agreed - but we have had some terrible results (as all teams do) but Jackett just stands there. I don't see anyone givng players a rollocking - just stood there. It's no wonder the performances then don't improve. It's almost like he is approving of what he is seeing.

I was at Bradford for example and we were bad - yet KJ just stood there watching without any sort of emotion. It comes across as though he doesn't care
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

This sounds an awful lot like supporters who love players who run around a lot. Of course, they are "giving it their all", but they soon get dragged out of position and are passed around.

I don't want a manager who stands screaming on the touchline; I want someone who actually addresses the problem. One of Jackett's strengths this season, and how he differs from Cook, is that he is quick to change formation or make substitutions if things are going wrong. That's not to say that I don't think Jackett has his faults, and overall the jury is probably still out. However, I do think "passion" is one of the most over-rated qualities in sport, and should be left to the fans; better to be professional, calm and collected, especially when things are going badly.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Several posts have mentioned that the players didn't seem bothered, but although this may be true in a very few cases, I feel that actually the opposite was true. Our play, especially in the first half on Saturday, and also from time to time during the season exhibited to me at least classic signs of players being overcome by the occasion and full of nerves. The inability to make even simple passes, unwillingness to try tougher passes to our wide players and basic positional errors demonstrate this to me at least. Sometimes on Saturday it was hard to believe that some of our team even knew each other!

Earlier in the season I have put this down to a young team, but on Saturday it seemed to be afflicting some of our more senior players as well. Some players will revel in playing in front of 19000 odd fans who have high expectations, but it can work the other way too. I am a KJ fan but it is part of the management team's job to put the players on the pitch in the right frame of mind. Do we really have a strong leader on the pitch?