Bury - BFTG

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Bury - BFTG

Post by Pompey Penguin »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of point in writing much, and I don't expect this thread to survive long, but I was at the game for my sins and ticked Bury off my grounds list.

This was the worst game I have seen all season. Two awful teams, both of which appeared to have given up on the season. Looked like 0-0 from the start, and it was appropriate that the only goal came from a horrible error by McGee which just about summed up the game. For most of the match, Bury made what headway there was and created a couple of promising positions and goalmouth scrambles. All Pompey's efforts came in the last ten minutes, a couple of good saves from their goalie, a weak attempt from Kennedy and some good defending to stop a cross reaching Pitman, but these were when Bury were in "hang-on" mode as you would expect from a side in their position.

Good points. Burgess looked better, and played a few of the long passes of which he is capable but has not done often enough this year. Hawkins battled and held the ball up well, but didn't do enough off that (he also missed a great chance first half, but was offside anyway). Pitman annoyed the referee.

Bad points. Couldn't retain possession. Couldn't tackle. Thompson beaten too easily (especially first half), but may still not be fully fit. Left side was absent; this week it was Ronan who did nothing. No idea how we were going to score. In other words, a typical Pompey display in 2017-18, just worse than normal.

1500+ Pompey fans made the journey; good for them.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Bury - BFTG

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Thanks PP. I can hardly bring myself to watch the highlights/lowlights, but I suppose it has to be done.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Hi Pompey Penguin, thank you very much for taking the time to write this. I know exactly what it takes to do so, especially after an away loss, many miles away. I have to say the way we have ended this season worries me, irrespective of how well we have done getting to where we are. I really hope I am wrong, but I'm not personally convinced Kenny Jackett is the man to lead our march towards the Championship.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

A great day out marred by 90 minutes of turgid garbage, but lots of beer consumed and 5 good friends had a laugh all day. Left Bournemouth on the 0759 train and returned to the South Coast 0015 Sunday (a wee bit the worse for wear :wink: )
Vince
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Fratton End Exile wrote:A great day out marred by 90 minutes of turgid garbage, but lots of beer consumed and 5 good friends had a laugh all day. Left Bournemouth on the 0759 train and returned to the South Coast 0015 Sunday (a wee bit the worse for wear :wink: )
Exactly how I envisage this weekend will be for me 6.5 hours on a train each way..