Baseball comes to Londinium

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Baseball comes to Londinium

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well how about that eh....the famed rivalry between the NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox will play 2 games at London Stadium. At least that location will now get some sporting use. Anyhoo, let me take a minute to explain the game to ya'll.

Go to the hardware store and purchase some ceiling paint. Go home, paint the bedroom ceiling, lie down on bed and watch it dry.
Presto! the full baseball experience.

OR

Buy a ticket and go to game. You want to be behind home plate for the best viewing....Strike 1
Take your seat, order some peanuts and a cold beer.....Strike 2
After 27 strike outs, you can go home....Strike 3....yer out!
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Baseball comes to Londinium

Post by RubiconCSL »

I really can't believe it's that exciting! Grown men, wearing trousers even the bee gees would be embarrassed about, playing rounders right? I'm sure the tickets will be cheap though!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by JenniTalia »

If you build it they will come!! :D
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

RubiconCSL wrote:I really can't believe it's that exciting! Grown men, wearing trousers even the bee gees would be embarrassed about, playing rounders right? I'm sure the tickets will be cheap though!
Well, to be fair to baseball, tickets are very cheap here at least for the Cincinnati Reds. I can rack a home game in the upper level for as low as $12. Inside behind glass in the air conditioning with waitresses bringing martinis....about $75. But with 61 home games you cant be too pricy. The most fascinating thing about baseball is you have no idea how long the game will last as there are no ties.
It could be a 2 hr pitchers game with minimal crotch rubbing and spiting...but you might be there for 5 hrs with extra innings.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Went to a minor league baseball game once on a holiday in Florida. Think we got to about the 4th or 5th innings, (felt like it took about two hours to get that far). Then a tropical storm came in and the game was delayed for an unknown amount of time... We went and hid from the rain in the car, drove back to the apartment, and moved on with our lives. Don't think I'll ever rush back to watch another game.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Thats Rich »

Saw a couple of games at Fenway in 2016 including Red Sox v Yankees with a walk off win for the Sox.

Baseball is like marmite. I happen to love it and am definately trying to get tickets.
Why always me!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Always felt baseball was likely to be more engaging than American Football (which strikes me as a tad annoying because it's a bit like rugby but so stop start for a game that should flow).
Baseball is a bit like cricket and so progresses in much the same way. I guess the ball deviates differently under cloud cover, wind, pitcher's grip etc so there's some interest there.
But I doubt I'll ever watch either although Field of Dreams referenced above by JT was a good movie.
Basically sports like American Football and Basketball aren't well designed because only freaks get to play them to any standard whereas Baseball is a sport where you can at least imagine yourself having a chance of getting good at.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

Watched a minor league game in The States, oooh... 20 years ago.

Did the whole thing. It's more boring than listening to William Hague reciting the batting averages from Wisden Cricketers' Almanac. The seventh innings stretch stirs the crowd from it's torpor as they grudgingly rise (well, some of them...) to mumble the words before slumping back down - and that my friends, was the most interesting bit of the evening....

...apart from the saving grace!

Some geezer walks around with a tray full of cold beers which could be purchased for a moderate price and freely consumed on the premises! After a few of those one just drifted off into a hazy half dream and forgot everything.

Seeing as how I can do that in my garden and thus not waste money on a ticket, that'd be my preferred option.

Baseball is a sloth on tranquilisers.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Been to see the Red Sox twice at Fenway Park, after the first experience i should have learnt my lesson but didn't. One of the most boring spectacles i have ever seen, would rather stick pins in my eyes than go and watch another game. Worst part was they would only serve you two beers at a time and insisted on asking for ID every time !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I hit a game or 2 every other year and for me and many others its more like a social occasion with the game being secondary live entertainment in the background. The thing is with 81 home games and a 162 game season, no single game really has any drama or importance attached to it until perhaps you get to the end of the season with a shot at the play offs. The total opposite of the NFL where with 17 games, every one is critical.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:...The total opposite of the NFL where with 17 games, every one is critical.
16... Unless you're counting the traditional wild card round loss for the Bengals too?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

This Time Next Year wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:...The total opposite of the NFL where with 17 games, every one is critical.
16... Unless you're counting the traditional wild card round loss for the Bengals too?
Yes, of course...16 games. I'd accidently added the one game Cleveland had won in 2 seasons
andybart
Gary O'Neil

Post by andybart »

Took me probably 10 years to get into Baseball enough to enjoy it and like it a lot now, got more and more used to it through sports radio and I guess the Fact the Blue Jays became decent helped...and it helps having only one team in the country now with the amount of coverage they get.Getting into NHL and CFL were pretty instant and I still prefer either of them to baseball but I think baseball is as enjoyable to cricket you get the same slow and boring games and other ones are full of good plays and nuances.