Ronan Curtis

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Ronan Curtis

Post by Berkshire Blue »

OS reports that he has signed a pre contract and will be joining us when the international transfer window opens.

22 years old and seems to fit the profile of young players that we are looking to sign.

The best of luck to him, and hopefully the first of seven or so signings this summer.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Ronan Curtis

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Berkshire Blue wrote:22 years old and seems to fit the profile of young players that we are looking to sign.
The strategy certainly seems to be to sign players that Pompey can develop, either to play for us or transfer on at a profit.

Interested to know people thoughts as to whether this signing will lead to a move from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 (or something else) as our normal formation. I don't see Curtis as a "no.10" or left of the three, and Pitman, Hawkins, Chaplin and Curtis are one too many for one striking position. Even if Chaplin leaves, there could be a lack of game time for the others.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Why do we always think Chaplin will move, when, every window, no one shows interest. Do we over rate our players and their potential?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I'm always nervous when we sign someone from a league that's nowhere near the standard of the English league.
Still, hope Curtis turns out to be ok.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Seems like I was wrong on Curtis and that he is seen as a left-sided in a three player.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8507724
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

uspompeyfan wrote:Why do we always think Chaplin will move, when, every window, no one shows interest. Do we over rate our players and their potential?
I think that you are right and that all sports fans overrate their own young players. However bad a season is going, they give us something to dream on for the future.

In Chaplin's case, the potential is there, but he has spent the last two seasons under managers who want to play with a lone striker. As a result, he hasn't got the playing time he needs. Similarly to Brett Pitman, Chaplin often looks like he isn't doing anything unless he is scoring. He really needs to play in a 4-4-2 or similar where he can play around a striker who does the ball holding work. I think there has been interest from other clubs over previous summers, but Pompey have not been keen to sell and Chaplin hasn't pushed for a move. This year, I think we have reached the point where, to be fair to the player, Jackett has to decide if Chaplin has a role at Pompey or if he needs to play in L2 at a team with a more suitable approach, whether sold/released or out on a year-long loan.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

So, according to reports Ronan Curtis has cost us about £100k which, if all things printed about him are true, seems a real snip to me especially when I read that Derry have 'off loaded' John Cofie who they bought from Manu for £1m????

We wait with anticipation for the unveiling of our latest recruit! 8)
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

eltorrro wrote:I read that Derry have 'off loaded' John Cofie who they bought from Manu for £1m????
Not quite, Man United paid a fee that could have risen to £1m for Cofie when he was 14.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.