Article about Pompey's links with the University

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

just blue
Milan Mandaric

Article about Pompey's links with the University

Post by just blue »

From the BBC. Some interesting Michael Eisner comments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44226655
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Article about Pompey's links with the University

Post by Milton End »

Michael Eisner - an owner who actually supports young people and the local community in Portsmouth.

I'm trying to recall the last time: Deacon? Terry V? Milan? Gaydamak? The Sheik(s)? Portpin? The Lithuanian bankers?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I suppose it's possible he thinks the American model is one that might work here where potential players get to go to college/uni based simply on the strength of their playing talent. At least that's what I think happens there...not any real idea how it works to be honest because I don't have any interest in American sport.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Earl Grey wrote:I suppose it's possible he thinks the American model is one that might work here where potential players get to go to college/uni based simply on the strength of their playing talent. At least that's what I think happens there...not any real idea how it works to be honest because I don't have any interest in American sport.
There's a token acknowledgment of basic academic achievement, but yes that's basically how it works.
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

Earl Grey wrote:I suppose it's possible he thinks the American model is one that might work here where potential players get to go to college/uni based simply on the strength of their playing talent. At least that's what I think happens there...not any real idea how it works to be honest because I don't have any interest in American sport.
I think it's more than that. He wants his club to help improve the numbers of young people from Portsmouth going to university. The vice-chancellor of the uni, Graham Galbraith, says that white working-class boys are the group least likely to go to university and these are "the backbone of the club's support".

Every youngster kicking a ball in a Pompey shirt is going to be wearing the name of the university and they want to connect with families "who don't see education as important, people who think education is not needed".

The football club has an authenticity and credibility for Pompey fans and Prof Galbraith wants young people to see the university as part of the team they support.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

league one blues wrote:
I think it's more than that. He wants his club to help improve the numbers of young people from Portsmouth going to university. The vice-chancellor of the uni, Graham Galbraith, says that white working-class boys are the group least likely to go to university and these are "the backbone of the club's support".

Every youngster kicking a ball in a Pompey shirt is going to be wearing the name of the university and they want to connect with families "who don't see education as important, people who think education is not needed".

The football club has an authenticity and credibility for Pompey fans and Prof Galbraith wants young people to see the university as part of the team they support.
I'm sure you're right there but Eisner doesn't strike me as doing anything that's purely without some kind of kickback to help the club. True altruism is something that is rare.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

Earl Grey wrote:
league one blues wrote:

I'm sure you're right there but Eisner doesn't strike me as doing anything that's purely without some kind of kickback to help the club. True altruism is something that is rare.
Yes you're right. The article says: The club has its own self-interests in the link with the university. Mr Eisner says there will be a "synergy" with the university's sports science department, which could help with the team's training.

Weybridge made this point under the thread New Sponsors:

I think this is a brilliant decision, and is way more than just a cash sponsor. Possibly the best since Eisner’s takeover.

The Sports Science programme is arguably the best in the country, and offers a wealth of untapped resources. If the club offers scholarships, as in the US - this could be a way of attracting overseas talent normally out of reach. Both on and off the pitch.