Lee Brown Signs on Two Year Deal From Bristol Rovers

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Lee Brown Signs on Two Year Deal From Bristol Rovers

Post by JenniTalia »

From the OS

Pompey have signed left-back Lee Brown on a two-year deal.

The 27-year-old will officially become a Blues player on July 1 when his contract with Bristol Rovers expires.

Blues boss Kenny Jackett said: “Lee brings an awful lot of experience to our side and yet he probably still has his best years in front of him.

"We’re really pleased to bring someone of his character to the club and I believe he’ll really add to our group."
Kenny Jackett

“I felt we gave away too many goals last season and he can certainly help with that, but he’s also a full-back that likes to attack and create goals.

“We’re really pleased to bring someone of his character to the club and I believe he’ll really add to our group.”

Brown started his career at QPR and had a couple of loan spells with non-league clubs before joining Rovers in the summer of 2011.

He made 319 appearances for the Pirates – scoring 22 goals – and was part of the side that secured back-to-back promotions into League One.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/201 ... or-pompey/
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Lee Brown Signs on Two Year Deal From Bristol Rovers

Post by Earl Grey »

Shame for Haunstrup. Not sure why Kenny doesn't trust him so I guess he'll go out on loan.
So what happens with Donohue now. Lee Brown will get LB and I can't see Donohue holding down a place elsewhere so I guess he's just back up for Brown.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pleased with this signing.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Earl Grey wrote:Shame for Haunstrup. Not sure why Kenny doesn't trust him so I guess he'll go out on loan.
So what happens with Donohue now. Lee Brown will get LB and I can't see Donohue holding down a place elsewhere so I guess he's just back up for Brown.
This is why I don't quite understand this signing. Whilst Brown is clearly an upgrade on Haunstrap/Donohue, it was hardly a position where we were desperate for players as both the incumbents did a decent enough job last season. As you say EG, it could be loan time for Haunstrup, but it could be that Donohue is on his way out; he was OK at LB last season, but didn't play much (at all?) at left MF and clearly couldn't play centre MF. At 25 in August, Donohue would presumably be looking for more than a back-up role, and may be happy to go if his contract is moveable.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:Shame for Haunstrup. Not sure why Kenny doesn't trust him so I guess he'll go out on loan.
This is why I don't quite understand this signing. Whilst Brown is clearly an upgrade on Haunstrap/Donohue, it was hardly a position where we were desperate for players as both the incumbents did a decent enough job last season. As you say EG, it could be loan time for Haunstrup, but it could be that Donohue is on his way out; he was OK at LB last season, but didn't play much (at all?) at left MF and clearly couldn't play centre MF. At 25 in August, Donohue would presumably be looking for more than a back-up role, and may be happy to go if his contract is moveable.
Getting your back 4 / 5 right is crucial if you want to aim for promotion. As you say, Brown is an upgrade - QED :wink:
andybart
Gary O'Neil

Post by andybart »

Somehow doesn’t fit in with the developing our youth mantra we were sold on... as I think Haunstrup ready to Play first team minutes and be ok.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

andybart wrote:Somehow doesn’t fit in with the developing our youth mantra we were sold on... as I think Haunstrup ready to Play first team minutes and be ok.
Don't disagree, but I do think Jackett is 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' to a degree. He will be judged on this season - needs play offs worst case scenario - and as Alan Hansen once said "You wont win anything with kids"

PS If the club had an award for most improved player, I would have voted for Haunstrup last season. I'm sure he'll get his chance.