England v Tunisia

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: England v Tunisia

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Yes, EG. I thought the Colombian player was a bit unlucky. What his arm was doing stuck out like that I have no idea, but it didn't look deliberate to me, and you might expect a referee to give him the benefit of the doubt in the first few minutes of their first WC game. This is a problem with the present rules on penalty handballs & fouls and sending off; they expect the referee to know what is in the player's mind (very little in most cases) and gauge intent.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Yes, EG. I thought the Colombian player was a bit unlucky. What his arm was doing stuck out like that I have no idea, but it didn't look deliberate to me, and you might expect a referee to give him the benefit of the doubt in the first few minutes of their first WC game. This is a problem with the present rules on penalty handballs & fouls and sending off; they expect the referee to know what is in the player's mind (very little in most cases) and gauge intent.
It shouldn't matter whether the offence occurs in the 1st min or last. Its the refs job to officiate the game from the moment of the kick off to the last second of injury time.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

pompeygunner wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:Yes, EG. I thought the Colombian player was a bit unlucky. What his arm was doing stuck out like that I have no idea, but it didn't look deliberate to me, and you might expect a referee to give him the benefit of the doubt in the first few minutes of their first WC game. This is a problem with the present rules on penalty handballs & fouls and sending off; they expect the referee to know what is in the player's mind (very little in most cases) and gauge intent.
It shouldn't matter whether the offence occurs in the 1st min or last. Its the refs job to officiate the game from the moment of the kick off to the last second of injury time.
Very true, and I wish this principle was applied. However, we all know that referees let players get away with stuff in the first half, and then start booking players in the second half for relatively minor offences. There is clearly a tendency not to discipline too early. We get it from players who moan that it was their first foul of the game as they get booked for cutting someone in half, but expect to get away with an early foul. And especially pundits who complain that a referee has "spoiled a game" by sending a player off relatively early, even when that was obviously the right decision.

It is a feature of this WC that players are not getting booked for fouls that would be a certain booking in club football (at least in Europe). I suspect that FIFA have wised up to the fact that players were ending up suspended in previous tournaments, when they wanted the best players on the pitch, and have issued instructions to referees. It is always interesting after tournaments to hear from the referees as it emerges what guidelines they were given by FIFA/UEFA.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Let's just hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Escobar did.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Bluesbro' wrote:Let's just hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Escobar did.
I had the same thought. :-D
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

watched the game in Tangier.....quite an experience.....a
anyhoo……..nevermind that.....in Madrid watching Croatia 3-0 Argentina....bwahahahahahahaha
Shock of the tourney after Mexico 1-0 Jeermans….gnnnwahahahahaha
Div III. Call it what it is.