Driving in France

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Franco Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Driving in France

Post by Franco Blue »

If anybody here is thinking about a driving holiday in France the following site might be useful when plotting your route.

https://radars.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/#/
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Driving in France

Post by RubiconCSL »

But it's in french? What were they thinking of?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Don't talk to me about the French radars. Got done by one on the autoroute just north of Monaco at Easter. I was doing 108kph, but the section of autoroute, just after the péage, was a 90kph section, and I hadn't spotted the sign.

I am aware, too, that the French have just reduced the speed limits of their erstwhile 90kph single carriageway roads to 80kph. However, I did read that they haven't yet changed all the signs over, but irrespective, they will still ticket you for doing over 80 - is that correct, Franco? It was written by another Brit expat, who contributes to a Facebook group I am on.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Franco Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Franco Blue »

Locky_McLockface wrote:Don't talk to me about the French radars. Got done by one on the autoroute just north of Monaco at Easter. I was doing 108kph, but the section of autoroute, just after the péage, was a 90kph section, and I hadn't spotted the sign.

I am aware, too, that the French have just reduced the speed limits of their erstwhile 90kph single carriageway roads to 80kph. However, I did read that they haven't yet changed all the signs over, but irrespective, they will still ticket you for doing over 80 - is that correct, Franco? It was written by another Brit expat, who contributes to a Facebook group I am on.
Yep, some places have refused to change the speed limit signs as it going to cost too much.
If in any doubt drive at no more than 80kph.
Also be aware that in Brittany a private company has been hired to check speeds using unmarked cars. Data collected can and will be followed up and a fine will be waiting for you when you return home if you have been caught.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Franco Blue wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:Don't talk to me about the French radars. Got done by one on the autoroute just north of Monaco at Easter. I was doing 108kph, but the section of autoroute, just after the péage, was a 90kph section, and I hadn't spotted the sign.

Yep, some places have refused to change the speed limit signs as it going to cost too much.
If in any doubt drive at no more than 80kph.
Also be aware that in Brittany a private company has been hired to check speeds using unmarked cars. Data collected can and will be followed up and a fine will be waiting for you when you return home if you have been caught.
Not off to Brittany this summer, passing through Nord-Pas de Calais, en route to Luxembourg, so hopefully it won't affect me too much. I know a few people who are going to Brittany, though, so will pass on that info.

Not that I have any intention of testing it legally, but I wonder how legal a fine would be if you were done for doing 88kph in a zone still signed-up as 90.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour