Chaplin departing?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

VFTH
Milan Mandaric

Chaplin departing?

Post by VFTH »

COVENTRY have targeted Conor Chaplin for a summer switch. The News understands the 21-year-old is earmarked to replace Marc McNulty when his move to Reading is finally completed.

Read more at: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8558500
Smile and those around you smile ..... Laugh and they think you have gone mad

http://www.smile4wessex.org
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Chaplin departing?

Post by Pompey1985 »

I'd rather McNulty than Chaplin.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I so wanted him to be a success but in reality he doesn't easily fit the attacking system so widely used by teams at the moment. If the move happens it makes sense for him and for the club - really need a good striking replacement though to compete with Pitman.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

PakefieldBlue wrote:I so wanted him to be a success but in reality he doesn't easily fit the attacking system so widely used by teams at the moment. If the move happens it makes sense for him and for the club - really need a good striking replacement though to compete with Pitman.
Although I agree that he doesn't easily fit into Jackett's favourite system, it'd be a mistake to lose someone for whom scoring is second nature. Players like that are rare.
We should keep him and use him....hell score goals and the system may change at some future time where he's a natural fit.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Who cares? The world cup is on :)
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I see Jackett won't let Chaplin go on the cheap as per his comments after about 3'45"...

[youtube][/youtube]
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

What price is a good price for Chaplin?
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

The News is saying we've turned down £250k plus add ons, so I reckon that they want £500k plus add ons with a sell on clause. That would be great business IMHO.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

PakefieldBlue wrote:The News is saying we've turned down £250k plus add ons, so I reckon that they want £500k plus add ons with a sell on clause. That would be great business IMHO.
I would tend to agree - can't help but think I'd rather have McNulty in my side than Chaplin.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Barnsley after Chaplin too apprently.

I'd have Eisa over Chaplin every day of the week he looks the real deal.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:Barnsley after Chaplin too apprently.

Agree, and in Kenny we trust.

Also, without wanting to be shot down in flames, is Chaplin really all that? I've seen loads of him live over the last few years and, yes, he's scored some crackers (including THAT header, and the equaliser away to Wigan) but he's also had some shockers.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I've been desparate for Chaplin to kick on but he just doesnt seem to. He spent a lot of time last season play acting and going down rather than staying on his feet.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Pompey1985 wrote:I've been desparate for Chaplin to kick on but he just doesnt seem to. He spent a lot of time last season play acting and going down rather than staying on his feet.
My feelings exactly. I remember posting sometime last season that I really hoped that the coaches wouldn't try too much to "improve" his general play and at the same time take the goals out of him.

Judging by pre season so far that hasn't happened, and from the limited highlights that I have seen he actually looks stronger to me. We must remember that he is still young and improving, and Pompey do have a bit of a track record of shipping out strikers who then blossom elsewhere.

When someone is scoring pretty well every time he plays in pre season it seems a bit premature to me to dump him.
andybart
Gary O'Neil

Post by andybart »

Pompey1985 wrote:I've been desparate for Chaplin to kick on but he just doesnt seem to. He spent a lot of time last season play acting and going down rather than staying on his feet.
To be fair Pitman is the worst for play acting by far, even yesterday Knightsie and Niall were laughing about him whilst commentating on the Stevenage game.
Last season Chaplins goals per minutes on the pitch were only second to Pitman, there is something there Obviously but whether it’s going to work here is another thing.. I’d rather he stayed but if he isn’t going to get playing time then I understand him going.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Barnsley after Chaplin too apprently.

Agree, and in Kenny we trust.

Also, without wanting to be shot down in flames, is Chaplin really all that? I've seen loads of him live over the last few years and, yes, he's scored some crackers (including THAT header, and the equaliser away to Wigan) but he's also had some shockers.
Probably the most divisive topic in Pompey footballing discussions.

On the one hand, you have the fact that neither Cook nor Jackett like him enough to play him week-in-week-out. On t'other hand, the argument goes that Chaplin needs to play alongside another striker, and this precludes him from the 4-2-3-1 formation favoured by both Cook and Jackett. I would like to see a Hawkins/Chaplin combination for 30 mins in a league game at some point, to test the validity of the pro-Chaplin argument.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour