Formula 1 - German GP

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Formula 1 - German GP

Post by Earl Grey »

Hamilton had his unwilling wing-man Bottas holding up the rest of the pack to ensure he had an easy time of it with a massive 17 seconds lead at the finish.

I think Mercedes need to pull some serious tricks out of the bag to keep the 24 point margin between Hamilton and his arch enemy. The Ferrari looks a better car at the moment but things have contrived to help them in the last couple of races. However, Mercedes have had their bad luck too this season but I really think the prancing pony is now the superior car. Mercedes need some very effective upgrades because at the moment it's Ferrari mistakes that are helping Hamilton increase his chances of getting his hand on a fifth championship.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

So he DOESN'T have the best car then... Hmmm
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Post by Portchesterblue1 »

Well I bow to your superior knowledge, and will keep my opinions firmly to myself from now on
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I'm no F1 expert, but from what I can see, when the driving conditions are at their most trying, LH seems to be head and shoulders over the others, whether he has the best car at the time or not. He also appears to be able to get far more out of the exact same tyres the other teams use (so no tyre advantage, because he has a better make). He gets many more laps out of the same tyres, which looks to have made all the difference in the previous two races.

So yes, he has got one of the best cars and, therefore, should do better than most. But, it would appear that Vettel has the best car this season and LH (so far) is ahead. Vettel also had by far the best car when he won his 4 titles. Schumacher had the best car when he was winning. I think the two go together. Add to that, that Schumacher and Vettel demand to be the first driver at their teams, leaving very little for the second driver. If what we are told by Mercedes is true, then that is not the case with Hamilton and Bottas.

The best drivers also help to make the cars they drive better. I'm sure the Mercedes is a better car from the input of LH during testing. Ferrari moved on hugely when Schumacher was there.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Not really my cup of tequilla but its a team sport innit? You get yer driver / pit crew / car / tires / teammate / tacticians etc etc.
Besides, you've got to be a bit of an arrogant fekhead to drive around at 220 mph I should think. I mean, you cheat Mr Death every race.
That's not so easy when you get a bit sensible as your 20's draw to a close and you've built a nice stash for yourself.
Div III. Call it what it is.