Formula 1 - German GP

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Formula 1 - German GP

Post by Earl Grey »

At the British GP Sebastian Vettel won and I suspect all his fans were indulging in schadenfreude at the thought of the home boy, Lewis Hamilton, failing in front of his own public.
Just a fortnight later at the German GP we have the opposite where Hamilton fans were enjoying the discomfiture of Vettel's fans as the German home boy plunged his machine into a wall and allowed Lewis Hamilton to win.
Shame really that they couldn't have contrived to do it the other way around.....same points and Champs positions in the end but the home fans of each country would've had a better day out 'cos it ain't cheap going to F1 meets.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Re: Formula 1 - German GP

Post by Portchesterblue1 »

I have tried watching f1 again this year. The raving is getting better again it isn't just a procession to see who will finish behind the mercs, however I have found I just can't stomach it.
I make no bones about my dislike of the ingracious dwarf b8t it would seem I am alone, especially when it comes to the commentators my god they have their tongues so far up his backside it's obscene. Practically cheering when vettel crashed, and the governerning body are just as bad. Anyone else had pulled that manoeuvre of not going in the pits would be hit within penalties but he got a slap on the wrist, absolute joke
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:I have tried watching f1 again this year. The raving is getting better again it isn't just a procession to see who will finish behind the mercs, however I have found I just can't stomach it.
I make no bones about my dislike of the ingracious dwarf b8t it would seem I am alone, especially when it comes to the commentators my god they have their tongues so far up his backside it's obscene. Practically cheering when vettel crashed, and the governerning body are just as bad. Anyone else had pulled that manoeuvre of not going in the pits would be hit within penalties but he got a slap on the wrist, absolute joke
Agree about the penalties. When Vettel caused a problem recently putting Bottas at the back he gets a 5 second penalty.....meaningless to a car that laps almost all the field. Same thing with Raikkonen...puts Hamilton to the back with rank bad driving and gets a few seconds penalty. Now Hamilton breaks a rule and no penalty at all.

Thing is the F1 authorities don't want to spoil a close fight for the Championship by heavily punishing the top players.

And those 5 and 10 second penalties are dished out when they mean nothing. I strongly suspect Hamilton would've been handed a 5 second penalty this time had Bottas in second position been more than that behind but he was 4.5 seconds behind so that penalty would've actually done something so they found a way to avoid it.

Or was it because 'love conquers everything"? Hamilton has started to become a little whacky with his interviews. I hope he doesn't turn into another David Icke and start promoting himself as some kind of spiritual leader!
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

They can't play with the definition of rules based on whether it makes the championship better or tighter.
Th3 whole sport at the moment stinks, the only way to get it more exciting is to level the playing field, and the big boys will never do that because theyvare winning and want to stay that way.
Hamilton alreadyvthinks he is some kind of god like creature, he has a very very very big ok I ion of himself
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:They can't play with the definition of rules based on whether it makes the championship better or tighter.
Th3 whole sport at the moment stinks, the only way to get it more exciting is to level the playing field, and the big boys will never do that because theyvare winning and want to stay that way.
Hamilton alreadyvthinks he is some kind of god like creature, he has a very very very big ok I ion of himself
Is this build em up, knock em down? :D
Seriously he has a big opinion of himself because he's the best, his win to race ratio is astonishing & puts him right up there with Schumacher & Co. However Lewis as far as I know has not deliberately crashed into anyone to stop them winning like Sc humacher so really he has work to do there. :thumb
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote:
Portchesterblue1 wrote:They can't play with the definition of rules based on whether it makes the championship better or tighter.
Is this build em up, knock em down? :D
Seriously he has a big opinion of himself because he's the best, his win to race ratio is astonishing & puts him right up there with Schumacher & Co. However Lewis as far as I know has not deliberately crashed into anyone to stop them winning like Sc humacher so really he has work to do there. :thumb
Neither has Hamilton done a Nico Rosberg and deliberately steered off the track in qualifying to prevent Hamilton doing a 'hot' lap to secure pole position.....or driven in such a way as to scrape someone's rear tyre to puncture it in a race as Nico did once.

Yes, Lewis is a bit strange but I guess his principles are better than most drivers who are or have been contenders.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Lol I do believe he is a very good driver, but the best? I am not sure, of his world championships how many has he had to beat more than his teammate?
At silverstone he was bumped by kimi and ended up last after the first corner. Yet he still managed to finish on the podium and lap half the field, is that because he is so good or because his car is way better ??
I would like to like him but he cones across as an ingracious little ****. Everything is someone else's fault
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:Lol I do believe he is a very good driver, but the best? I am not sure, of his world championships how many has he had to beat more than his teammate?
At silverstone he was bumped by kimi and ended up last after the first corner. Yet he still managed to finish on the podium and lap half the field, is that because he is so good or because his car is way better ??
I would like to like him but he cones across as an ingracious little ****. Everything is someone else's fault
Just check his stats if you don't think he is. Its all there in black n white.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

I am sure the stats Sunday he has won more races and been on more poles yes bit a couple of years ago for a couple of seasons he had one car to beat, his team mate, who was told to let him win. They would both regularly lap the entire field, does that make him a great driver?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:I am sure the stats Sunday he has won more races and been on more poles yes bit a couple of years ago for a couple of seasons he had one car to beat, his team mate, who was told to let him win. They would both regularly lap the entire field, does that make him a great driver?
Goes with the territory, best drivers get the best cars. Surely if you've been watching F1 for any length of time you'd know that. The opinion I'm forming is you just dont like him & nothing he does will impress you-fair enough as you're entitled to your view. But I dont particularly like the British trait of build em up, knock em down. He's a world champion multiple times over, just won a race from 14th position on the grid after all.
I just cant see whats not to like tbh.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Yes you are right, good drivers get good cars, but to lap an entire field every race is not a fair fight, good driver or not.
You maybe right, from what I see if him as a person I just don't like him, when you compare him to kimi or Alonso he has no personality.
I get why people love him, but the commentary should at least somewhat subjective surely.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

<Pulls pin out of grenade> ... Is it because he is black? ... <Walks away>
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

I actually laughed out loud to that one, thank you brilliant lol
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Cough....... whisper it....Hamilton wins again....splutter.
:D
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Yes he did, and well done to him.