Utrecht

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Utrecht

Post by Berkshire Blue »

1 - 1 Draw. Apparently two well struck goals, ours from Anton Walkes. MOM given to Ronan Curtis.

Only minus is that Jamal Lowe went off injured in the second half - hopefully nothing serious, but always a worry.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: Utrecht

Post by Portchester PFC »

Berkshire Blue wrote:1 - 1 Draw. Apparently two well struck goals, ours from Anton Walkes. MOM given to Ronan Curtis.

Only minus is that Jamal Lowe went off injured in the second half - hopefully nothing serious, but always a worry.
They were a well set up team, strong midfield and their goal was a peach, looked like the outside of the boot and nestled straight in the top corner.

Ours was not quite as impressive but a good goal none the less.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Interesting that we've gone 4-4-2 but the summer recruitment seems to have been for the 4-2-3-1 formation which has left us playing Hanstrup out of position at left midfield. Maybe KJ sees potential in him to be converted from a left back.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm fascinated by the fact that we've gone 4-4-2, especially after KJ saying that today's line up would be a good indication of our starting 11 next Saturday
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Also, surely 4-4-2 is the one system where Chaplin would shine if he's ever going to. So why change to it and look to sell him?

I'm sure KJ has it all in hand but it seems a little strange.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

perhaps 4-4-2 at home and 4-2-3-1 away.

I can only hope! This formula seemed to evade Paul Cook and you'd think that if Pompey had signed Mo Eisa that this would signal 2 up top: at home at least
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Jack_Tinn wrote:perhaps 4-4-2 at home and 4-2-3-1 away.

I can only hope! This formula seemed to evade Paul Cook and you'd think that if Pompey had signed Mo Eisa that this would signal 2 up top: at home at least
Think Eisa is more of a no.10. So would probably have played just behind Pitman. Ref. Cook well he didn't do too badly did he. In fact his recent CV is outstanding.
I think he knows what he's doing really, I doubted him @ times but the facts dont lie.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I think the whole formation thing is overplayed at times; especially below PL/Champions L/International type levels.

Essentially the two differences between the quoted formations come down to how far forward the wide MFs can push forward, i.e. 4-4-2 or 4-2-4, and how far back the "No.10" drops into MF, i.e. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. To some extent this depends of the players selected, but also on the opposition's approach; we saw in the WC how England's 3-1-4-2 became a (poor) 5-1-2-2 once Trippier and Young were forced backwards. In a 4-2-3-1, if the wide attackers get pushed back to defend, it is soon a 4-4-1-1, like it or not.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
I think the whole formation thing is overplayed at times; especially below PL/Champions L/International type levels.

Essentially the two differences between the quoted formations come down to how far forward the wide MFs can push forward, i.e. 4-4-2 or 4-2-4, and how far back the "No.10" drops into MF, i.e. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. To some extent this depends of the players selected, but also on the opposition's approach; we saw in the WC how England's 3-1-4-2 became a (poor) 5-1-2-2 once Trippier and Young were forced backwards. In a 4-2-3-1, if the wide attackers get pushed back to defend, it is soon a 4-4-1-1, like it or not.
It's surprising KJ hasn't tried to mimic Southgate's formation. Last term he was quite keen to try 3-at-the-back and we have the quality CB's to do that effectively (Jack, Burge & Clarke) but he only tried it a couple of times and seemed to prefer to not risk things.
I suppose one consideration is that if one of those three gets injured then we have to revert to something else or put Thompson/Naylor in the with the 3 which may or may not work.
However, it seems 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) is now Jackett's formation of choice given the players he has.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Listened to part of the radio commentary: Ronan Curtis was very lively. Looks like a good signing.

Hope that Lowe will recover from his ankle injury soon: we need his pace. He seems to have really grown since his arrival in 2016.

Did not really get a clear impression of some of our other signings - Brown, Naylor, etc.

But our overall performance against Utrecht has given me real hope for the coming season. PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Only minus is that Jamal Lowe went off injured in the second half - hopefully nothing serious, but always a worry.
Out for 2 to 3 weeks :(