Droning on....

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 66 times

Droning on....

Post by RubiconCSL »

Bit off topic, but I've just treated myself to a new toy for my upcoming b'day. I've bought a DJI Mavic Air Camera Drone. I probably just got carried away looking on youtube, but seems like a fun toy to have.

Has anyone else on here got a camera drone or experience of using them? Any top tips? Are there clubs where nerdy drone users meet up and compare 4k video footage and exchange hilarious anecdotes?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Droning on....

Post by JenniTalia »

Hmmmm why did I have a vision of old men in dirty macs meeting up in darkened rooms when reading that :lol:
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Top tip would be...stay away from airports. :D
Joking aside a new act or something has just been passed which means years in the nick for anyone stupid enough to fly a drone near or within a airport boundary.
Thing is I'm not sure why they haven't said "any RC aircraft" rather than drones. Some of the RC aircraft these days have jet turbines & are very large (17ft wingspan).
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Definitely staying away from airports and any MOD property! Also, as I think they are quite noisy, I'm going to do my best to stay away from crowds in general, as I know the sound of an enormous swarm of wasps would ****** me off!

I'm hoping to take it to Mexico in November, but again, I'm going to do a very extensive search on laws etc. in Mexico, as I don't want it disappearing as I arrive in customs.
Donald J Trump
Martin Kuhl

Post by Donald J Trump »

RubiconCSL wrote:Bit off topic, but I've just treated myself to a new toy for my upcoming b'day. I've bought a DJI Mavic Air Camera Drone. I probably just got carried away looking on youtube, but seems like a fun toy to have.

Has anyone else on here got a camera drone or experience of using them? Any top tips? Are there clubs where nerdy drone users meet up and compare 4k video footage and exchange hilarious anecdotes?
Yes. I have access to quite a few drony thingys as it happens.
Make America Great Again
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

RubiconCSL wrote:Definitely staying away from airports and any MOD property! Also, as I think they are quite noisy, I'm going to do my best to stay away from crowds in general, as I know the sound of an enormous swarm of wasps would ****** me off!

I'm hoping to take it to Mexico in November, but again, I'm going to do a very extensive search on laws etc. in Mexico, as I don't want it disappearing as I arrive in customs.
Where are you off to in Mexico? I'm on those all inclusive gigs every other year these days. Cancun in March probably our next visit.
Wouldn't much worry about yer drone. They don't care what you bring into Mexico....just what you leave with.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I have been tempted for some time but can’t find a decent reason to justify the expense, other than a new toy !

I was looking at the DJI Phanton 4, but then saw the GoPro Karma, which looks a lovely bit of kit, especially if you buy the Hero 6 combo !

Still struggling to justify the expense, although if I did I think the GoPro would be the choice as at least I can use the camera for diving and other sports 8)
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Plastic Pig - El Bandido
Robbie Pethick

Post by Plastic Pig - El Bandido »

I bought a DJI Phantom 3 last year to play about with to see if I would use it enough to justify getting the more expensive one, it is good fun and the main bit of advice I would give is to get plenty of practice in a safe area before you try anything fancy.

Also, be gentle with the controls and get get used to which way the drone is facing as that will affect which way it turns etc.

It's really good fun putting together footage to make videos to share.

And in good old Blue Peter style, here is one I made earlier (from last year)...

Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:Definitely staying away from airports and any MOD property! Also, as I think they are quite noisy, I'm going to do my best to stay away from crowds in general, as I know the sound of an enormous swarm of wasps would ****** me off!

Where are you off to in Mexico? I'm on those all inclusive gigs every other year these days. Cancun in March probably our next visit.
Wouldn't much worry about yer drone. They don't care what you bring into Mexico....just what you leave with.
:rofl Actually when arriving in Mexico its torturous to get out the airport due to luggage searches etc. One last check literally as you're exiting, thats what its like in Cancun anyway.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I've heard it's quite a kerfuffle at Mexican airports. The main thing I worry about is customs deciding to either a) confiscate it or b) charge me tax for bringing it in. I have heard that bring the receipt is very useful.

That worry aside, I'm hoping it will enable some great footage - video and photos.

We fly to Cancun 1st Nov. 2 days there, then fly to Mexico City, so we can go and see the pyramids at teotihuacan. The fly to Merida, for a bit more relaxed time (probably do a couple of tours to Uxmal and maybe Kabah. Then a night at Chichen Itza. Finally a while to relax in Playa Del Carmen.

Can't wait.
pompeygunner wrote:

:rofl Actually when arriving in Mexico its torturous to get out the airport due to luggage searches etc. One last check literally as you're exiting, thats what its like in Cancun anyway.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

On the cost side, the Mavic Air is way less expensive than the Phantom, so I went for that. Still got fantastic reviews and is newer technology.

I asked for the advice of my daughter's boyfriend, who is a photographer and also a film cameraman for a living. It turned out that he had been looking at getting the exact same drone and the very day I asked him about it, had been in Jessops looking at it. So it seemed like fate and we both bought one. With a bit of work, we managed to get the Air Plus Combo for £751 each from Curry's. It's on offer for £815. I then found a site where I could buy Curry's gift vouchers with an 8% discount. So I bought 8 @£200 each and paid the rest on a card, which may also mean the card has to cover the guarantee etc.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Nice. Where's that, Hilsea Lido?
Plastic Pig - El Bandido wrote:I bought a DJI Phantom 3 last year to play about with to see if I would use it enough to justify getting the more expensive one, it is good fun and the main bit of advice I would give is to get plenty of practice in a safe area before you try anything fancy.

Also, be gentle with the controls and get get used to which way the drone is facing as that will affect which way it turns etc.

And in good old Blue Peter style, here is one I made earlier (from last year)...

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

pompeygunner wrote:

Maybe that relates to where yer coming from though, In my case, every human on the plane from Cincinnati is on an all inclusive holiday gig and a non stop flight. Also, half the times I've been I've flown on to Cozumel....an Island off Cancun....which is a small plane seats maybe 20 and a small airport. Anyhoo...never had any delays or issues apart from the mystery airport tax they nail you for....about 20 USD last time.
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think that 20USD is the Gringo Tax. Just like everything else you pay for online before you go; if you use a Mexican credit card it costs less than if you use a Gringo credit card :)
pompeygunner wrote:

Maybe that relates to where yer coming from though, In my case, every human on the plane from Cincinnati is on an all inclusive holiday gig and a non stop flight. Also, half the times I've been I've flown on to Cozumel....an Island off Cancun....which is a small plane seats maybe 20 and a small airport. Anyhoo...never had any delays or issues apart from the mystery airport tax they nail you for....about 20 USD last time.
Plastic Pig - El Bandido
Robbie Pethick

Post by Plastic Pig - El Bandido »

RubiconCSL wrote:Nice. Where's that, Hilsea Lido?
Plastic Pig - El Bandido wrote:I bought a DJI Phantom 3 last year to play about with to see if I would use it enough to justify getting the more expensive one, it is good fun and the main bit of advice I would give is to get plenty of practice in a safe area before you try anything fancy.

Langstone Harbour when the tide is out, sorry it's not smellovision!

It's actually a place called Lake Monticello in Virginia, we are in the process of buying a house with some waterfront :)

Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.