Gillingham.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Gillingham.

Post by New Forester »

Well someone has to start.

I have felt this was coming. It’s not that we played badly. There were some decent spells. But it one of those days when we just didn’t click or get that lucky break. Gillingham got two. And that was it. But we still have a lead because Peterborough lost.
I fear that Sunderland and Barnsley are hitting their stride and may well fill the top two places. The play offs are a realistic target. But there’s still a long way to go.

Looking forward to the contributions from more learned colleagues.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: Gillingham.

Post by Portchester PFC »

I think quite simply, we were beaten by a better team on the day.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

We were not at our best today, but let's give Gillingham some credit. They played very well & defended how we have done all season. On a positive note, Pompey are still 3 points clear at the top of the league, we got no yellow cards and no injuries. Onwards and upwards. #PUP
PS Ben Thompson was a class above everyone else on the pitch. I like Ben Close, but BT is different gravy and needs to be starting.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

not just today , we've got 9 points from 3 away and 2 from 3 at home , all 3 homes against teams towards the bottom of the league and each time we've gone behind but managed to get back level , this time we didn't we had no answer for the packed defences and each game the others seemed keener for the ball
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Good substitutions at half time seemed to work very well and we were going to score if Jackett had left things as they were but after another substitution it went all wrong.....
Oh well.....plug on.....still top.....
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Is it me but these lesser teams coming to Fratton seem so up for it its untrue and given their results, like Gillingham and Shrewsbury in particular, its clear that they are playing well above themselves encouraged by a level of away support they probably rarely enjoy.
So I see it as a bit of problem giving that its almost 'their Cup Final' so to speak.
Add into the equation yesterday a quite brilliant individual effort from their big centre forward giving them a surprise lead to hang on to, and we were always in a difficult situation. Most teams nowadays in whatever league it is can put loads of people behind the ball and survive for at least 45 mins as Gillingham proved yesterday.
Curtis was largely bottled up by their defence, Lowe was given little room, and Pitman was a non-existent target man. Much of our crossing was poor, either too long or too short, whether from set pieces or from open play.
Ben Thompson looked capable of opening up their defence for the first 20 mins of the second half but then got pushed back too deep and lost his effectiveness.
This home form is a bit of a worry and yesterday had a bit of inevitability about it. Perhaps a lucky home win soon may trigger a resurgence at Fratton.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

You kind of feel that it's time to find out what Mason has got to offer to the team.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Could some of the problem also be the home support? I wasn't there, but all the posts I've seen on FB seem to say the boo boys were out in force. If the crowd get on their backs when things aren't going well, then that isn't good. Away support is generally less destructive in my experience. So maybe away from home, they can express themselves more and not feel too scared to make a mistake.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 pm Could some of the problem also be the home support? I wasn't there, but all the posts I've seen on FB seem to say the boo boys were out in force. If the crowd get on their backs when things aren't going well, then that isn't good. Away support is generally less destructive in my experience. So maybe away from home, they can express themselves more and not feel too scared to make a mistake.
Wasn't as bad as all that Rubicon (the booing). And no way was it a factor for our poor performance. We started off slowly & it set the tone. Gillingham deserve enormous credit for their desire & up & @ em approach. We never really got to grips with that, especially 1st half. @ least half the team were way below par & really when that happens you're well n truly up against it.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 pm Could some of the problem also be the home support? I wasn't there, but all the posts I've seen on FB seem to say the boo boys were out in force. If the crowd get on their backs when things aren't going well, then that isn't good. Away support is generally less destructive in my experience. So maybe away from home, they can express themselves more and not feel too scared to make a mistake.
That's not true Rubi. Where I'm sat (NSL) I didn't hear any booing at all aimed at the players. If there was any, it was aimed at the officials, who were, as we have come to expect, pretty crap. Some of their decisions were woeful, but that has nothing to do with the result!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

There was some booing at half-time, which I thought was directed at the players. Booing of the referee usually happens once all the players are off the pitch, and this was almost as soon as the half-time whistle went. However, there was also a good applause for the team at the end of the match, which was nice to see.

That is three of the last five games in which we have conceded the first goal. Given that the defence generally looks solid, this is a little worrying, but there doesn't seem to be any common cause: two excellent goals and one individual mistake. We really do need to be recording clean sheet more often.

Delivery into the penalty area was woeful all game, whether it be corners, free kicks or crosses from general play. Curtis must have had over six attempts, all but one of which sailed too long and the other hit the first defender, but the other players were no better. Good attacking positions have to be turned into goal chances.

I'd like to see Thompson given a chance in the Evans role where his skill and variations would provide something extra, but I am not sure Wimbledon away is the place to do it.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am
I'd like to see Thompson given a chance in the Evans role where his skill and variations would provide something extra, but I am not sure Wimbledon away is the place to do it.
As a matter of interest, why not at Wimbledon away? Assuming that you are talking about Ben, I thought he had more of an impact on the game than any other player when he came on for the second half, and he's nowhere near as lightweight as Ben Close.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am
As a matter of interest, why not at Wimbledon away? Assuming that you are talking about Ben, I thought he had more of an impact on the game than any other player when he came on for the second half, and he's nowhere near as lightweight as Ben Close.
Just that I think that Evans is a better defender, and the line up seems to have worked away from home. I suppose this speaks to my real point that I want Ben Thompson in a situation where he can be given his head, rather than in for Close or away from home where a bit more discipline might be required.