New centre-back?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

New centre-back?

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Interesting to see in The News today that we're being linked with a Rotherham centre-back who is on loan at Accrington.

With Burgess on the bench and players such as Naylor, N Thompson, Walkes and Hawkins able to fill in there, does this suggest that Kenny is planning for Clarke to not be with us after January?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: New centre-back?

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I would certainly be planning for losing Clarke in the summer if we don't get promoted, and as you suggest maybe sooner if we get an offer we can't refuse. However, it could equally suggest that Burgess is not happy playing part-time and wants to move in January.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:29 am I would certainly be planning for losing Clarke in the summer if we don't get promoted, and as you suggest maybe sooner if we get an offer we can't refuse. However, it could equally suggest that Burgess is not happy playing part-time and wants to move in January.
Yes, it's obvious that KJ prefers Whatmough/Clarke if both are available.

Burgess is 27 and needs regular football. Hence, understandably, he may want a move in such circumstances. But KJ may still judge that he needs a back-up - hence lining up a possible replacement either from elsewhere in Div 1 or even Ireland?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

One of my sons has a line of connection through to Clarke and there is a good chance we might lose him in January :shock:
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:41 pm One of my sons has a line of connection through to Clarke and there is a good chance we might lose him in January :shock:
I'm quite surprised we've held onto him for as long as we have to be honest - but a big transfer fee would offset the disappointment. That might fund a big, powerful, fast, great in the air, goal-machine!
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

How much money would it take for it to be worth us selling him, especially as if he goes we will be less likely to get promoted?

Answers on a postcard please - I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay enough to recompense us properly.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:41 pm One of my sons has a line of connection through to Clarke and there is a good chance we might lose him in January :shock:
I'm quite surprised we've held onto him for as long as we have to be honest - but a big transfer fee would offset the disappointment. That might fund a big, powerful, fast, great in the air, goal-machine!
Likewise, I'm truly amazed we didn't lose him in the summer.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm How much money would it take for it to be worth us selling him, especially as if he goes we will be less likely to get promoted?

Answers on a postcard please - I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay enough to recompense us properly.
Difficult to answer isn't it. How much a club is prepared to pay & we prepared to accept. If we are looking good for promotion in 2 mths the only way I can see him going is to a PL club. And that would have to be big bucks imo. 4-5m imo. That money could then be reinvested into a replacement plus the big mobile CF Jackett craves.
Would seem pointless selling to a Championship club when we have a decent chance of being there next season. Selling in Jan would have to involve all our ducks being lined up so too speak. Because if they weren't & he was sold & we didn't get promoted the backlash would be huge.
Interesting times in Jan forsure.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I'd like to think he would give it till the summer if we are on track for promotion - unless of course it's a move he can't refuse e.g. top few of championship or premier league.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the top few of the championship look at him to be honest he is good enough.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I know it was 'only' Maidenhead, but watching him live again yesterday just reconfirmed that Matt Clarke is different gravy. The guy is pure class and going places. Interestingly, Joe Gomez (who is better than Clarke) cost Liverpool £3.5m from Charlton Athletic. On that basis, we'll do to get any more than that!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Interesting that both Clarke and Burgess (and Curtis for that matter) played yesterday, so would be cup-tied if transferred. This was not necessary, especially the late Burgess substitution, so maybe suggests that there isn't definite interest.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 pm I know it was 'only' Maidenhead, but watching him live again yesterday just reconfirmed that Matt Clarke is different gravy. The guy is pure class and going places. Interestingly, Joe Gomez (who is better than Clarke) cost Liverpool £3.5m from Charlton Athletic. On that basis, we'll do to get any more than that!
The only I would say SB is what was the state of Gomez's contract @ the time he was sold? Matt signed a new one iirc last Jan. That being the case I reckon if we deal with a PL we can get @ least what Gomez went for if not more.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:45 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 pm I know it was 'only' Maidenhead, but watching him live again yesterday just reconfirmed that Matt Clarke is different gravy. The guy is pure class and going places. Interestingly, Joe Gomez (who is better than Clarke) cost Liverpool £3.5m from Charlton Athletic. On that basis, we'll do to get any more than that!
The only I would say SB is what was the state of Gomez's contract @ the time he was sold? Matt signed a new one iirc last Jan. That being the case I reckon if we deal with a PL we can get @ least what Gomez went for if not more.
and we did turn down offers for him in the summer..

We have no need to sell and I would be very surprised if he went in January.
PUP