Competition for places

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Competition for places

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I should imagine that there will be quite a few players hoping for the chance to impress KJ this evening, especially with Andre Green back in contention.

It will be interesting to see the team and formation tonight - I rather hope that Louis Dennis will be given a chance, but with all the competition am not sure whether he will make the team.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Competition for places

Post by Selsey Bill »

Agree! When we signed them on loan, the two players I was most excited about were Ben Thompson and Andre Green. Thompson has already proved his worth massively, and I have a feeling Green could be equally as impressive, or even better. I also don't think we have seen the best of Wheeler yet - he needs more game time but is understandably being kept out by Curtis and Lowe. Dennis could be anything, though was highly regarded by Bromley fans, and then there is Mason. Potentially exciting times.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I was interested to watch Wheeler at Maidenhead on Saturday. He takes up a different starting position compared to Lowe; Wheeler drops deeper and looks to pick up the ball in space, whereas Lowe starts much further forward and is happy receiving the ball with his back to goal and more tightly marked. I don't know if this was the cause, but there were a number of occasions when Wheeler was in space, but the Pompey player with the ball didn't pass to him, but instead turned to the left; maybe because he looked up, but Wheeler wasn't where Lowe would have been. Things like this don't help a player coming on as a sub and trying to make an impact.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 am I was interested to watch Wheeler at Maidenhead on Saturday. He takes up a different starting position compared to Lowe; Wheeler drops deeper and looks to pick up the ball in space, whereas Lowe starts much further forward and is happy receiving the ball with his back to goal and more tightly marked. I don't know if this was the cause, but there were a number of occasions when Wheeler was in space, but the Pompey player with the ball didn't pass to him, but instead turned to the left; maybe because he looked up, but Wheeler wasn't where Lowe would have been. Things like this don't help a player coming on as a sub and trying to make an impact.
I'm sure he just needs time in the team to quite literally find his feet. It sticks out like a sore thumb that there isn't much of an on-pitch understanding between him and his fellow teammates ... yet!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

It's one of the things I find frustrating about Lowe (yes I know that sounds daft) but on occasions because he receives the ball with his back to goal he slows it down.

That said one of the things I football that makes me purr is a defense splitting pass into space and a playing bombing onto it.