Big Few Weeks.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Big Few Weeks.

Post by Pompey1985 »

Is it an exaggeration to suggest that between now and Christmas is season defining?

Starting on Tuesday night - we have a home game against Walsall and Barnsley are away at Sunderland. I believe we are then Barnsley's next league game at Oakwell. So what would we prefer? Assuming we win (I know) andrawnor a Sunderland win to open up a gap between the chasing pack.

If we can also win our re-arranged game we can have a nice gap before going into the Oakwell fixture.

Would we be prepared to sacrifice a glamour tie in the FA Cup for league points?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Big Few Weeks.

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1985 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:34 pm Is it an exaggeration to suggest that between now and Christmas is season defining?

Would we be prepared to sacrifice a glamour tie in the FA Cup for league points?
Couple of very interesting questions: my view is 'No' to the first and 'Yes' to the second.

We're still only part-way through the season. But the next few matches, including those over the Christmas/New Year will define our season (unless there is a complete disaster late in the season.)

Given the extra payoff from promotion to the Championship, I would be prepared to prioritize the League.

But we have a very good squad of players, some of whom still need game time. We could still perform quite well in the FA Cup without a couple of lead players - Lowe for example - who need to be at their best for the League.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

We all know speculation about sport is pointless but impossible to avoid. Isn’t it just great to be discussing promotion prospects rather than relegation fears?
What about Charlton’s visit? Remember last years second half when they defended their 1-0 lead by play acting and time wasting?
A cup run would be good. If we get past Rochdale let’s have a Premiership club at home. Southampton?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Tend to agree, but I think it goes a long way to helping us achieve our objective - promotion.

Tomorrow is a big night for us.