Southampton have sacked Hughes

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Southampton have sacked Hughes

Post by Selsey Bill »

Gutted. I thought he was doing a pretty good job, to be honest
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Southampton have sacked Hughes

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Take away the fact that it's Them Up The Road that's involved, and I would feel sorry for Hughes. He's on a hiding to nothing, he hasn't got the financial backing to do a much better job than he's doing.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Three wins in 22 games will do that for you. At least Hughes will have a £6 million pay-off to cushion the blow. Southampton are not one of the three worst teams in the PL, but they were drifting downwards without getting results and in real danger of ending up relegated, which is exactly the situation where a change of manager is justified. They now need some long-term vision and ideas, not just another of the usual suspects, but that's not so easy when in a relegation fight.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Maybe Hughes will go to another ****** team in red & white stripes... I hope it's not Exeter though - I quite like them.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

<dj.> wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 pm Maybe Hughes will go to another ****** team in red & white stripes... I hope it's not Exeter though - I quite like them.

Yep . Lovely team Exeter .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm Take away the fact that it's Them Up The Road that's involved, and I would feel sorry for Hughes. He's on a hiding to nothing, he hasn't got the financial backing to do a much better job than he's doing.

Of course I don't know , but have read that there is money available in Jan , just not for him.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Maybe they will go with the classic Sam Allardyce save me from the drop contract.
He's the best in the business.
Cant see where Hughes is going to go. He's been pretty poor everywhere except maybe his first stint at Blackburn
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Number 1 Jasper wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:19 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm Take away the fact that it's Them Up The Road that's involved, and I would feel sorry for Hughes. He's on a hiding to nothing, he hasn't got the financial backing to do a much better job than he's doing.

Of course I don't know , but have read that there is money available in Jan , just not for him.
The US Prem show this weekend was not short on comments about $450 mill in player sales and where's all that money.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 pm Maybe they will go with the classic Sam Allardyce save me from the drop contract.
He's the best in the business.
Cant see where Hughes is going to go. He's been pretty poor everywhere except maybe his first stint at Blackburn

WE HAVE held talks with the ex Leipzig ( sp) . Ball firmly in his court .
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:24 pm
Number 1 Jasper wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:19 pm

The US Prem show this weekend was not short on comments about $450 mill in player sales and where's all that money.
Sorry .

I meant but available for the next manager .
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:23 am Gutted. I thought he was doing a pretty good job, to be honest

:roll: :smt006
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

The team were not playing for Hughes, so this was inevitable. Sometimes teams get the losing mentality and they don't all get saved with a change half-way through.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Is Richie Barker available?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.