Nicky Jennings

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Nicky Jennings

Post by New Forester »

My wife and I begin our day with coffee and croissants in Caffe Nero in Lymington. As we arrived today a woman reversed a big Land Rover into a tight space outside the shop in one quick move. As she came alongside as I was about to order by the counter I said to her "that was a good piece of parking" I told her I had a 4x4 and was hopeless at reversing into tight spaces. " I have a particular problem when I go to watch Football. For my sins I'm a Pompey supporter" (not something to be readily admitted round here)

" Really" she said. "My dad used to play for Portsmouth. Nicky Jennings."

And we chatted on .......

And just now I turned this up:

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-7419238

It's a small world.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Nicky Jennings

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I remember Nicky Jennings well - an excellent winger.

Talking of small wingers from way back, do you remember Reggie Cutler?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I remember Reggie Cutler, I have been trying to forget him for nearly 60 years & you`ve reminded me, he was rubbish.

As for Nicky Jennings, he was 10 times better than Cutler R.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 pm I remember Reggie Cutler, I have been trying to forget him for nearly 60 years & you`ve reminded me, he was rubbish.

As for Nicky Jennings, he was 10 times better than Cutler R.
Oops - may have hit a raw nerve there! I totally agree with you about Nicky Jennings being a better player, but I was thinking more in terms of size rather than necessarily quality. IIRC Reggie was skilful but pretty wary about being deposited into the crowd by fullbacks, and as Nicky said in the interview, the treatment handed out to wingers in those days could be brutal to say the least.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

I really rated Nicky Jennings and IMHO he was miles better than Marinello, who replaced him.
PUP
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

OldSpice wrote:I really rated Nicky Jennings and IMHO he was miles better than Marinello, who replaced him.
Got a feeling that by the end of 73/74 Marinello was on the bench & tricky Nicky was back in the 1st 11
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Jennings returned as no 11 on Feb 20 1974 against Sheffield Wednesday (8699 attendance!) Then no 7 against Oxford on Feb 23. Marinello didn't play in either game. Then they played together on 2 and 5 March, Jennings last 2 matches. Marinello then played on regularly for the rest of the season.

I'd like to say my memory served me well.But I did remember I have my Pompey history books always close at hand.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

A goal every four games is a good return from a wide player. Especially in an era when wingers were expected to stay wide far more than they are today, and playing in some pretty mediocre Pompey teams. Jennings also scored in my first ever match at FP, so he was one of my early favourites as a kid.