Southend

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Southend

Post by Berkshire Blue »

It looks as if it will be pretty windy at FP tomorrow. I always get the feeling that we play better in calm conditions, but hopefully I will be proved wrong on this occasion.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Southend

Post by New Forester »

It was windy. And wet at the start.

Another sparkling first half followed by solid defence in the second half and some great counter attacking. Pompey really are starting to look the real deal. Curtis deserved his MOM. Totally committed in attack and defence. But there were fine displays from several players.

It was good to see Selsey Bill at half time!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Efficient rather than spectacular 2-0 win. We're now 6 points clear with a game in hand over Luton....although Sunderland have a game in hand over us.
Hope Ben Thompson doesn't have to go back to Millwall in January. He's such a busy and competitive influence on the team.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 pm It was windy. And wet at the start.

Another sparkling first half followed by solid defence in the second half and some great counter attacking. Pompey really are starting to look the real deal. Curtis deserved his MOM. Totally committed in attack and defence. But there were fine displays from several players.

It was good to see Selsey Bill at half time!
Good to see you too matey! Do you ever stop smiling!?
Anyway, totally agree with your comments. First 5 /10 minutes aside, we were bl**dy brilliant in the first half. Curtis in particular was outrageously good - his crosses, man! Another unsung hero for me today was the less lauded Thompson. Though he was excellent.But as NF said, there were several fine displays today. Jack and Matt in defence were immense, and Ollie Hawkins was a revelation. We look like a proper team now, but as I've said before the next two weeks will say so much. Oh, and the other results :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Shame the Blundrland game was called as they were likely to drop points at -1-1 in the 75th minute.
Hopefully they at least all got wore out for nothing.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

... agree, but they will also have to schlep all the way back over to Accers on a Tuesday night nest year
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

All we really have to worry about if the apple cart is to be upset, is injuries. If we are unlucky with injuries to key players then we might have a problem although clearly Jackett has built the squad and back up players in readiness. I would be worried if we had to break up the Whatmough and Clarke for instance, with Burgess not providing the same assurance. Also it would be dodgy if we lost either full back as I don't rate either Walkes or Haunstrup as being wholly adequate replacements.
The Man CIty defeat at Chelsea shows that nobody is unbeatable. Luton look strong and Sunderland and Barnsley will be well in contention so our results against the latter two in the next few weeks will be significant. Draws might be enough if we still hold a lead at the top.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

streetrifle wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:49 pm All we really have to worry about if the apple cart is to be upset, is injuries. If we are unlucky with injuries to key players then we might have a problem although clearly Jackett has built the squad and back up players in readiness. I would be worried if we had to break up the Whatmough and Clarke for instance, with Burgess not providing the same assurance. Also it would be dodgy if we lost either full back as I don't rate either Walkes or Haunstrup as being wholly adequate replacements.
Bit harsh on Brandon Haunstrup IMO, a better athlete than Brown & whenever I've seen him he's been decent, in fact I struggle to recall him having a poor game. Jackett obviously likes him becuase iirc gave him a contract extension. His time will definitely come.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:19 pm We look like a proper team now...
I think this has been the important factor over the current run, and especially since the start of the season. All of the parts of the team look like they have played together before. Matt & Jack (and the back six in general), both pairs of FBs & wide attackers and the middle three all know what each other are doing and support each other effectively. On top of that Hawkins provides the fulcrum for the attack, with everyone confident that he will hold the ball and feed their movement. Belief in each other goes a long way.