December Games - 9 points

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

December Games - 9 points

Post by Jack_Tinn »

So we enter December still top of the league - and four points clear - who would've thought i!

this month though there are a few games that I think will test Pompey; the opponents mostly but the games coming thick and fast won't help.

First Up:

Southend at Home tomorrow. The weather isn't great and nor is Southend's form. Four losses in the last five games but they managed to win the last game. The manager is talking up their ability to come to FP and attack but I suspect that the opposite may be closer to the truth. This seems to me a game when having a big strong CF like Hawkins can make all the difference. I think Pompey start the season with a 2-0 win. Target 3pts

Charlton at Home on Tuesday night is a real test in my book. Charlton are a top 6 team - only a win of the game in hand to be top 3 - and their form is good. I was worried to read that last week against Rochdale the team was looking a little leggy and this game might be a good time to bring in some fresh legs. Perhaps Green for Lowe and perhaps rotate Thompson and Close. I would not be surprised with a 1-1 draw but I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlton win this game. I'd settle for a point now and this will be the first test of Pompey's promotion credentials during December. Target 1pt

Barnsley (a) on Sat 15th is a tough tough game. Barnsley and Sunderland are hard on the heals of Pompey and despite Pompey's unbelievable away form I would take a draw now. If Pompey are not on their A game they will get handed their first away loss of the season. Given that Pompey will be playing their third game in a week and Barnsley only their two I can see this might be a bridge too far - I am predicting a 2-1 win for Barnsley. Target 0 pt (anything is a bonus from this game)

Sunderland (h) on Saturday 22nd gives Pompey a terrific home game just before Xmas. Pompey helpfully have a week to recharge their batteries and Sunderland are travelling the length of the country. I am surprised this is not a game on the TV! I think this will be a tight game with very few chances and the type of game where one moment of quality can win it all for one team. This is a game for a player like Curtis to stamp their quality. I'm predicting a 1-1 game. Target 1pt

Gillingham (a) Boxing Day (Wednesday). Pompey had better not get carried away on Xmas Day because there is a game on Boxing Day that is a prime opportunity to get a win. Gillingham are hovering around the relegation zone and have a leaky defence. It seems to me to be a bit of a banana skin but with Pompey's away form (and following three tough games on the bounce) KJ needs to have them out of the traps early and playing ruthless football. Gillingham need to be put to the sword and 3 pts need to be taken. Target 3pts

The last game of the year is away at Fleetwood. A tougher game away than Gillingham and Fleetwood have a stingy defence. Its a game much like Coventry away where the first game may be decisive. Pompey may be wise to freshen up the team again and Fleetwood's smaller squad may be a factor. I'm predicting a draw - another 1-1 type game but the more important thing here might be for Pompey to go to the game with the clear intent to keep a clean sheet and then look to hit Fleetwood on the break. Target 1pt

Monthly Target - 9pts. I think this will be a tough month. I am aiming for Pompey to get to 9pts from 18 and I think this is achievable and is not setting too hard a target. With a four point head start on 2nd and 6pts on 3rd this should mean that Pompey finish 2018 at least in the automatic promotion places.

I have a feeling that Andre Green may be an important player this month. If he comes off the bench or gives Lowe/Curtis a breather I can see that he may add something different into the team during this challenging period.

Pompey have the momentum, quality and squad depth to come through December but there are some tough games to come. If Pompey can keep their head and cash in fully vs Gillingham and Southend then this helps set them up perfectly for the tougher games vs Charlton, Barnsley, Sunderland and Fleetwood.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Re: December Games - 9 points

Post by Berkshire Blue »

What an excellent post. I would be very happy with 9 points from this run of games - anything more would be a big bonus.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Thanks JT - a well argued and interesting post.

Given our good away record and the depth of our squad, I think that you may be too pessimistic about the Barnsley game. I suggest a 1-1 draw is more likely.

Sunderland's results have been good recently: unbeaten in 16 games (?). And we're at home against them where our results have been more patchy. I can see us losing this game 0-2...but I hope that I'm wrong!

But this still delivers your 9 points from the December games.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey 2- Southend 0 : well that turned out as predicted.

Sunderland's game at Stanley was called off because of weather after 76 mins !! and at 1-1

Both Barnsley and Charlton lost (@Wycombe and @Blackpool respectively)

Luton now up to 2nd after a 1-0 win at home to Fleetwood but six pts behind Pompey with Pompey's game in hand (home Charlton) to come .

Sunderland are now 3rd - one point behind Luton but with two games in hand now over Luton (1 over Pompey).

Really good start to the month. 3pts and a win at home to aid confidence there. Helpful when most of the games this month are at FP

Next Game: Charlton at home

Oh and Cardiff managed a 1-0 win at home today.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

I'd settle for one point from Barnsley and Sunderland, but I can't help thinking that they will not be looking forward to playing Pompey. As long as we win the matches we should win, we'll be alright. All teams lose some matches during a season, I fancy us to beat Charlton and Gillingham - anything else is a bonus.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:17 pm
Charlton at Home on Tuesday night is a real test in my book. Charlton are a top 6 team - only a win of the game in hand to be top 3 - and their form is good. I was worried to read that last week against Rochdale the team was looking a little leggy and this game might be a good time to bring in some fresh legs. Perhaps Green for Lowe and perhaps rotate Thompson and Close. I would not be surprised with a 1-1 draw but I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlton win this game. I'd settle for a point now and this will be the first test of Pompey's promotion credentials during December. Target 1pt
Not far wrong there
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

half way through the games in December and Pompey are on target with 4pts from 9 so far. I'd have taken a point away at Barnsley before and during the game. Excellent result given the qualify of the opposition, being away from home and the weather!

Sunderland at home before travelling to Gillingham and then up to Fleetwood. I am targeting 5pts from those three games and Gillingham away is going to be a key game
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey hit the mid point of the season with an impressive 51 points - and having lost only two games, both at home.

Pompey also have managed 7 points in December from a possible 12 with the win vs Sunderland and the draw at Barnsley in the last two games particularly impressive.

Pompey finish the month off at Gillingham - who are one of the teams that beat Pompey in the first half of the season so there is definitely something for KJ's men to prove on Boxing Day. Gillingham are hovering above the relegation places and lost 0 - 2 at Charlton in their game on Saturday. I am sticking to my prediction that Pompey turn them over for another away win.

Fleetwood away is a tough game - but Pompey did receive some good news for this game at the weekend when Manager Joey Barton was sent off during the game and more importantly perhaps Ched Evans was also shown a straight red (having already been booked too) and now both will miss the Pompey game. I still think this will be a tough away game but not having Evans in the team or Barton on the sidelines has to aid Pompey's ability to get something from this game.

If Pompey could get four pts from these two fixtures that would give them 13 from 18 for the month which would be an excellent return given the tough run of games and the weather.

Wishing all Pompey fans near and far a very Merry Christmas
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Its half time at Gillingham on Boxing Day and we are 1-0 down, having dominated the game and spurned loads of chances. Despite our great position in the league you really have to say that, with the Sunderland game being a rare exception, we do not score the amount of goals that our great approach work demands. As I listen to the game writing this Hawkins has just missed a great chance to equalise and Pitman has immediately come on as a sub. All this begs the question - do we need a new goalscorer to come in this month during the transfer window? Will the absence of a regular goalscorer spoil our promotion chances??
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:18 pm Its half time at Gillingham on Boxing Day and we are 1-0 down, having dominated the game and spurned loads of chances. Despite our great position in the league you really have to say that, with the Sunderland game being a rare exception, we do not score the amount of goals that our great approach work demands. As I listen to the game writing this Hawkins has just missed a great chance to equalise and Pitman has immediately come on as a sub. All this begs the question - do we need a new goalscorer to come in this month during the transfer window? Will the absence of a regular goalscorer spoil our promotion chances??
I suspect that Kenny agrees with you. He substituted all three experienced and match-hardened wingers/strikers early in the second half of this match.

Unfortunately in this game, he was then unlucky in the injury to Nathan Thomson which reduced the side to ten men. And this was within a few minutes of introducing three players who, according to Guy Whittingham on the radio, had only limited, recent playing experience.

While I don't think that we should read too much into one away defeat after an unlucky injury, it is clear that we have some problems with scoring goals. I understand that Wheeler did OK but that Green was anonymous. Brett also does not seem to be able to deliver after being so reliable last year. But finding another decent goal scorer in the January transfer window won't be easy.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

December 2018 comes to an end with Pompey hauling away 10pts from a possible 18. I had set a target of 9pts for Pompey and the win at Fleetwood made all the difference in the end getting their noses over the line.

I think it has been a bit of an up and down month for Pompey. Solid wins at the start and end vs Southend (h) and Fleetwood (a), excellent draw at Barnsley and a home win vs Sunderland just before Xmas mixed in with two defeats vs Charlton and Gillingham (KJ's Kryptonite?).

at 3pm on 29th December Pompey had only a one point lead at the top of the table and there would be a three way fight for the automatic promotion places if Sunderland win their games in hand. All starting to tighten up and Pompey were starting to look a little vulnerable. At 5pm on 29th Pompey had won and increased their goal difference by plus 3 and Sunderland and Luton had been held to draws (by Shrewsbury at home and Wallsall away respectively) and Pompey finished 2018 top of the league with a three point lead.

December was a month with a tricky set of fixtures and Pompey have come through it slightly ahead of my target. 2019 is about to arrive, the transfer windows opens in 48 hours, at least one signing will arrive on the first day and I suspect that the owners will invest to get Pompey into the Championship from this great position. January should be an exciting time with new signings, a challenging FA Cup game against higher quality opposition and a run of games that Pompey can really get their teeth into. But that is for another post.

Wishing all Pompey fans and members of this Board a very peaceful and happy New Year.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks Jack. I am really enjoying these threads.

I was worried about December as a combination of many games, tough opposition and bad weather would challenge our fitness and squad depth, but Pompey have kept going. Ten points is a very good return, and their lead has been reduced by just one point. Now for January and the need to not throw away all that hard work against "lesser" teams. A cup game at Norwich (I'd rest some players) before the big game at Luton at the end of the month.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

thank you PP.

I agree, 10pts was a very good return, it could have been even better but hopefully Pompey have learnt from the Charlton and Gillingham games and will take on board those lessons for the rest of the season.

January is a key key month. Pompey have a run of games that can really cement their promotion push. I have just posted my thoughts/target for January but it is the time to be ruthless.

I am also excited about the transfer window and the opportunity it affords Pompey.