Travelling by coach to away matches.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Travelling by coach to away matches.

Post by New Forester »

While a regular at Fratton Park I have never travelled by coach to away matches. Tomorrow, the coaches leave at 7.30 for Barnsley. I understand that stops on the way are at the discretion of the driver. The travel company had no indication of the time the coaches arrive back at Fratton. The price is £28 for the Barnsley trip. A good deal!

I’m not going. I have to add a one hour drive to get to the coach. But I might in the future give it a go. Sunderland in April? Leaves at 4.30am. No problem for the guy who sat out all night to change his season ticket seat.

I’m wondering if anyone here goes on these coach trips and can give anecdotal verdicts on their experience? Might encourage others to give it a go. Or not!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Travelling by coach to away matches.

Post by New Forester »

Looks like I’ll have to take a hit for the team?

But to where?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Sunderland 27 April. Coaches leave at 5.30am. An hour later than I was told before.Return about 11pm. £34. Leave home at 4am. That should do it. Left a lot earlier to swop season ticket seat. Might just do it.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Ticket bought, coach seat booked. Hope I’m fit enough on the day!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Best of British to you, NF.

I'd far rather drive, and be in control of when and where I stopped.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

My days of driving for several hundred miles and many hours are well and truly over. One thing I have discovered is that it’s free parking for the day at the ground car park.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Mission accomplished!

Arrived from the New Forest at Fratton Park at 4.45am. Second car in followed immediately by others. Parking free at the ground car park. Three Luckett coaches arrive at 5.30 and off by 5.50. A one hour stop half way and arrival was spot on the 1pm arrival time set by police. Coach was fine, full and surprisingly peaceful there and back. Coaches left soon after 5.30 and back at Fratton Park by 12.15. Quiet journey back to the Forest.
It was an uneventful journey. Speed limit of 62mph made it quite relaxed.
Great value at £34. Train journey would have needed 5 changes there and 6 back and with old timers discount £118. And there was no way I'm up to driving around 700 miles in a day or wanting to stay overnight.

So my first away trip by coach was a great success. And most other away trips will seem like a breeze after that.

As to the match. I'll post elsewhere.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I debated how to make my journey to Sunderland. For me it is nearly a 1,000 round trip. My wife suggested I look at flying and I flew from Exeter to Newcastle on friday evening and stayed in a hotel near the Airport for two nights. There was no easy flight back so I took the train from Newcastle to Plymouth on sunday morning arriving in Plymouth just before 18.00 hours. I calculated that what it would have cost me in petrol was about the same as the air fare & train ticket, but a lot less stressful and 1,000 miles less on my car engine. (bought the train ticket on split ticketing site at about half the price)
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:09 pm I debated how to make my journey to Sunderland. For me it is nearly a 1,000 round trip. My wife suggested I look at flying and I flew from Exeter to Newcastle on friday evening and stayed in a hotel near the Airport for two nights. There was no easy flight back so I took the train from Newcastle to Plymouth on sunday morning arriving in Plymouth just before 18.00 hours. I calculated that what it would have cost me in petrol was about the same as the air fare & train ticket, but a lot less stressful and 1,000 miles less on my car engine. (bought the train ticket on split ticketing site at about half the price)
Ooh, that's a thought!

PL20, I have to take my darling daughter to a Uni open day in Manchester in a few weeks time, what's the split ticketing website, please?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:09 pm I debated how to make my journey to Sunderland. For me it is nearly a 1,000 round trip. My wife suggested I look at flying and I flew from Exeter to Newcastle on friday evening and stayed in a hotel near the Airport for two nights. There was no easy flight back so I took the train from Newcastle to Plymouth on sunday morning arriving in Plymouth just before 18.00 hours. I calculated that what it would have cost me in petrol was about the same as the air fare & train ticket, but a lot less stressful and 1,000 miles less on my car engine. (bought the train ticket on split ticketing site at about half the price)
Well done. Some thought my trip was ambitious. Good point about split ticketing. When going to Birmingham I get tickets to Banbury then from Banbury to Birmingham. And you stay on the same train. My ticket office guy suggested it. Said he was not supposed to. Crazy. For long trips it’s always worth checking options.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Locky_McLockface post_id=889453 time=1556537056 user_id=4]
[quote=BlueinPLtwenty post_id=889451 time=1556536156 user_id=76]
I debated how to make my journey to Sunderland. For me it is nearly a 1,000 round trip. My wife suggested I look at flying and I flew from Exeter to Newcastle on friday evening and stayed in a hotel near the Airport for two nights. There was no easy flight back so I took the train from Newcastle to Plymouth on sunday morning arriving in Plymouth just before 18.00 hours. I calculated that what it would have cost me in petrol was about the same as the air fare & train ticket, but a lot less stressful and 1,000 miles less on my car engine. (bought the train ticket on split ticketing site at about half the price)
[/quote]

Ooh, that's a thought!

PL20, I have to take my darling daughter to a Uni open day in Manchester in a few weeks time, what's the split ticketing website, please?
[/quote]

https://splitticketing.trainsplit.com/default.aspx
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:22 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:24 pm
Ooh, that's a thought!

https://splitticketing.trainsplit.com/default.aspx
Thanks for that, and for the PM
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

You are welcome Mate.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

After getting up at 3.30am for my Sunderland trip I'll be able to have a lie in for the next two Lucketts trips I've booked. Coach leaves Fratton Park at 8am for Shrewsbury and 6.30am for Blackpool.Great value at £27 and £33. And I don't work for Lucketts!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:25 am After getting up at 3.30am for my Sunderland trip I'll be able to have a lie in for the next two Lucketts trips I've booked. Coach leaves Fratton Park at 8am for Shrewsbury and 6.30am for Blackpool.Great value at £27 and £33. And I don't work for Lucketts!
Hopefully the trip to Blackpool this season will be easier than last years. It took us about 6 hours in the car but judging by other reports we did well to get there in that time! :shock: