Jayden Stockley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Jayden Stockley

Post by Pompey1985 »

I see we are being linked with him for 750k - I thought he looked alright with us last time before his injury.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/exeter- ... Kg-6romG-Q
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Jayden Stockley

Post by PakefieldBlue »

750k seems a lot but if he turns up and scores the goals that get us promoted then it'll an a shrewd investment. I love a transfer window (as long as we're buying not selling!).
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Unless he's suddenly developed a turn of speed personally I cant see it but what do I know. Jackett wants pace apparently, Stockley doesn't fit that bill.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

He was successful playing in Scotland after he left Bournemouth and then has consistently scored goals with Bournemouth. I believe he is averaging a goal every other game and that has always been the standard top strikers achieve. I remember a certain Mick Quinn who was averaging that in his career at a similar age (25) when he joined Pompey from Oldham and that purchase didn't turn out too badly. I wouldn't say he was known for his straight line speed but he was super quick in his football brain and sense of where the ball would go.

I was pleased to read the Exeter manager say that Stockley has developed very well over the last couple of seasons because although he had something when he was on loan at Pompey he was still raw.

I'm content with the idea of signing a striker who can play as a no.9 with close to a 0.5 goal per game career average at the age of 25. We are in too good a position in the league not to strengthen our weakness - which is a true goal threat in the final third.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

his record in the last two seasons (including this one) for Exeter is 35 goals in 68 games.

this article is somewhat tongue in cheek but it makes a point about his progression and success at Exeter - playing in an attacking three!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45864030
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I like the idea of Stockley mainly because we don't have to fundamentally change the way we play. I don't think £750k is unreasonable for the player either in today's market. Is he really any different to Eisa in as much as he had only proven himself in league two?

I'd like some pace up to through the middle but that would mean changing the way we play and I think half way through the season that would be detrimental to the side.

We have a lot of pace in the form of Curtis and Lowe.

I'd like to see it happen as Hawkins has little competition for the role he plays at present and he does need to find the net more often but more importantly he needs to work opposition keepers more as this could equally create more chances for others... He always puts it just wide!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

apparently Pompey are pouring cold water on the Jayden Stockley rumours saying that KJ has run the rule over him but there are other strikers ahead of him on KJ's list.

First thought is that didn't Pompey initially deny the Andy Cannon rumour and now he is joining on 1st Jan. Ryan Yates on loan from Forest is another rumour that has consistently been denied by Pompey but not gone away - and today the Mirror are reporting that Yates visited Pompey yesterday to tie up a season long loan with the option for Pompey to make it permanent in the summer. We'll see if Yates joins on 1st Jan too but given his age, potential, experience in league 1 last year with Scunthorpe and his connections to Wigley this seems to fit far too well to just be paper talk. So, basically Pompey seem to be quite active in the January market and a couple of attacking midfielders seem to be high on the list of targets. KJ also seems to be pouring cold water on rumours as an attempt to deter others from making a move to beat Pompey to the punch.

Second thought - is that Pompey seem willing to spend money in this window. £750k for Stockley is not pocket change and this is a good sign. If Pompey have better options that Stockley then that doesn't sound like bad news to me either. I would be happy with Stockley at 6'3" with some movement skills and heading ability to give Hawkins some competition for the no.8 shirt.

Perhaps it is worth remembering that the Chaplin deal should go through on 1st Jan too and that provides £500k to Pompey in transfer fees.

Third thought - is that if a striker is coming into the club to compete with Hawkins then I can only see this pushing Pittman closer to the exit too. Perhaps Pompey off load Pittman and sign two strikers in this window?
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pmPerhaps it is worth remembering that the Chaplin deal should go through on 1st Jan too and that provides £500k to Pompey in transfer fees.
Another amazing bit of business by Catlin, CC hasn't set Coventry on fire has he and wouldn't be worth that amount now.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Conor Chaplin has played 18 games scored 4 goals and has 3 assists.

by comparison Ronan Curtis has played 22 games and has 8 goals and 7 assists and Jamal Lowe has played 24 games and has 7 goals and 3 assists.

Since both Ronan and Jamal together cost less than half Conor's transfer fees you'd think that Pompey have done well to secure £500k
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Didn't catch all of what was being said on Radio Solent, but they seemed to be saying that Preston are now favourites to sign Stockley.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I've seen the report that Preston are interested and as a Championship club already you could see that being of interest to Stockley. However, I suspect that having played for Pompey and having family on the South Coast may be a serious pull for him too.

We'll see how this plays out but Pompey are saying that he is not their first choice target....but this could be smoke and mirrors. Seems unlikely that Exeter will be able to hold onto him in the January window regardless.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Interesting news from Exeter:

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/201 ... -stockley/

I'd imagine we must be one of those clubs.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I really like the thought of this signing.

Article in the news saying cannon joins tomorrow, kid from Forrest on loan shortly after and that we want our business done early.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:01 am Interesting news from Exeter:

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/201 ... -stockley/

I'd imagine we must be one of those clubs.
yes, interesting indeed. Got to congratulate Exeter on being up front with supporters so quickly. Sounds like at least three clubs have met the valuation.

Preston, MK Dons, Charlton and Pompey are all said to be interested so perhaps three of those clubs have all offered the rumoured £750k release clause. It will now be up to the player with a decision probable in the next week you'd think
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

not surprisingly: Jayden Stockley is not in the match day squad for the New Years Day game at Swindon.