This season has a 2008 Cup run feel about it

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

This season has a 2008 Cup run feel about it

Post by uspompeyfan »

During our cup run, if we are honest, we found ourselves in the quarter finals without really making headlines. A bunch of scrappy wins with late drama. That isn't being negative, but a 10 year look back at what what we all lived.... winning without playing well.

This season, as I alluded in the Gillingham thread, we have won games without playing well, scrapping to get points we would ha normally have lost. In August, I can't believe anyone would have predicted our position entering 2019.

So, I put it to you, could we see ourselves promoted in April / may and still thinking this can't be happening (much as we did when we drew West Brom in the Semi Finals in 2008?) I was disappointed in the Gillingham game, but still feel strange looking at the table and saying to myself, what are we doing up there with the squad cost and the way we have played in some games.

Am I alone, or did I have a drink too many last night?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: This season has a 2008 Cup run feel about it

Post by New Forester »

No. You are quite right. It’s true that for long spells in matches we haven’t played well but won. But isn’t that true about many successful teams? The fact is you only need a few moments of brilliance in a game to win it. Or a bit of luck. As the season has gone on we have looked consistently more dangerous than most of our opponents. We are at least as good as any of the top teams in our league. But we will slip up from time to time. I’m not putting any money on us to get promoted but I’m not backing anyone else either.
Let’s just enjoy the ride.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb