That's Liquid Football - Pompey FA Cup piece

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

ThatsLiquidFootball
Collins Mbesuma

That's Liquid Football - Pompey FA Cup piece

Post by ThatsLiquidFootball »

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me dropping in. We're looking to write a piece ahead of the FA Cup 4th round focussing on Pompey, the club's change in fortunes and in particular their cup run this season for our website: https://thatsliquidfootball.com/

As with all of our pieces, we like to get the perspective of fans and I was hoping to harvest contributions from the good people on this board. Hope that's okay!

I've put together a few questions in order to canvas thoughts and opinions on Portsmouth's season/cup run/current state, and it'd be great if any of you would be able to provide a bit of insight.

1) It's been a difficult 11 years for Pompey fans, from winning the FA Cup to scrapping around in League Two, but it looks as though the club's fortunes have turned around in the last couple of seasons - what's been the secret behind Portsmouth's resurgence?

2) Currently sitting four points clear at the top of League One, Pompey are looking favourites for promotion this year - who've been the standout players for the club this season, and who can take credit for their dominance?

3) What has the lowest ebb been for fans in the last decade or so?

4) How do Pompey supporters view the FA Cup? Would they swap the win in 2008 to have remained in the top flight for the last 11 years?

5) What effect has the cup run had on the club this year? Is it a financial bonus? Or is there concern that it will distract from the promotion bid?

6) Portsmouth perhaps didn't get the credit they deserved for a fine win at Carrow Road in the last round due to other surprising results elsewhere - what was the key to that win?

7) Were fans disappointed at drawing QPR, and do they fancy their chances against Steve McClaren's team?

8) What does Portsmouth's medium-term future look like? Will they be returning to the Premier League within the next five years?

We'll be posting the piece on Sunday 20th, so it'd be great to get some responses in the next couple of days. Hope you don't mind the crowdsourcing, and thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply!

Cheers,
Marc
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Re: That's Liquid Football - Pompey FA Cup piece

Post by streetrifle »

what's been the secret behind Portsmouth's resurgence?

Great new owners in the Eisner family, top managers in Jackett and previously
2) Currently sitting four points clear at the top of League One, Pompey are looking favourites for promotion this year - who've been the standout players for the club this season, and who can take credit for their dominance?
Its all down to Jackett with his great experience and recruitment of good players suitable for promotion bid.

Going into administration and going to the High Court with salvation with an hour to spare.

4) How do Pompey supporters view the FA Cup? Would they swap the win in 2008 to have remained in the top flight for the last 11 years?

No, nothing can replace the F A Cup, its once in a lifetime for a club like ours, not having won it since 1939.For the majority of fans there that day it was the best day of their lives Pompey-wise.
5) What effect has the cup run had on the club this year? Is it a financial bonus? Or is there concern that it will distract from the promotion bid?
Great financial bonus, up to £250K apparently. Not worried that it will distract from league, Jackett is too professional for that.

6) Portsmouth perhaps didn't get the credit they deserved for a fine win at Carrow Road in the last round due to other surprising results elsewhere - what was the key to that win?

Jackett set up of the team, good players and great team spirit

7) Were fans disappointed at drawing QPR, and do they fancy their chances against Steve McClaren's team?

Not disappointed. Give us a good chance of progress, and we welcomed a home game.

What does Portsmouth's medium-term future look like? Will they be returning to the Premier League within the next five years?
Future looks great with the Eisner family in charge. Fans have great respect for them and their plans for redevelopment of the ground, building of the team, academy growth, fans representation. They are a dream come true for the fans after what preceded them.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

1) It's been a difficult 11 years for Pompey fans, from winning the FA Cup to scrapping around in League Two, but it looks as though the club's fortunes have turned around in the last couple of seasons - what's been the secret behind Portsmouth's resurgence?
A. It's a combination of factors, starting with the debts being cleared and the fans's ownership of the club stabilising the good ship Pompey. We then recruited a very good manager in Paul Cook who got us promoted from L2 within 2 seasons. The shareholders then agreed to sell their shares in the club to The Eisner Family who have been a revelation. As they took over, Paul Cook moved on to Wigan and we recruited Kenny Jackett who has also been fantastic for the club.

A number of players have been outstanding, including Matt Clarke and Jack Whatmough at centre back, MacGillivray in goal, Curtis and Lowe on the wings and Tom Naylor and Ben Thompson as defensive midfielders.

Almost going out of business

Personally, wouldn't swap that day for the world and I suspect most Pompey fans will feel the same way.

The cup run can only be a good thing. Winning is a mentality and a massive confidence boost, and a run in the cup has to be good for us financially. Personally not concerned about any distraction, I think it is a good thing.

The team performance from the players chosen and set up by our manager. Our defence were outstanding.

When you saw the last 6 names left in the draw - Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Crystal Palace, us and QPR - yes, some fans were understandably disappointed. But if we can beet Norwich away, we can beat QPR at home.

8) What does Portsmouth's medium-term future look like? Will they be returning to the Premier League within the next five years?

Our medium term future looks rosy with the Eisners in charge. There are plans to redevelop Fratton Park which will help massively, and we are building an excellent academy which bodes well for the future. Personally, I think the PL is a step too far at the moment, but I would be delighted to get into the Championship and establish ourselves in that league. PUP.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The period of fan ownership of the club. Although this only extended over four seasons, it brought stability to the club and established the principles by which the club still runs; basically that the club operates within its means, moves forward slowly and steadily and prioritises engagement with the communities in and around Portsmouth.

I would argue with the claim that Portsmouth are favourites for promotion; I think this is still Sunderland. However, Pompey are in a good position, and most fans would have taken this at the beginning of the season. The bedrock of this team are the two centre-backs, Jack Whatmough and Matt Clarke; both are too good for L1. We are strong defensively, and this always gives us a chance, as witnessed by our incredible (very un-Pompey-like) away form. In attack, Ronan Curtis and Jamal Lowe are key. Teams that have stopped those two, often by doubling up on them, have largely stopped Pompey playing. This is now very much Kenny Jackett’s team, playing in his style and he must take a large part of the credit for the on-pitch success.

That day when we sat in the High Court and the ownership of Fratton Park was decided in favour of the fans. The judge could easily have made the reverse decision, and was expected to do so by many people, and the club would have been finished. Having to wait for the decision was nerve-shredding.

The two cup runs (2008 and 2010) were amazing and highlights of my 50 years watching Pompey. Overall, I even enjoyed the day losing to Chelsea in the 2010 final. I certainly wouldn’t swap those for another 10 years scrambling around the bottom half of the PL, a competition of little interest to those outside the top six or the accountancy business.

This is difficult to answer until it is over. A couple of key injuries against QPR and it could look like a disaster. Generally it is good financially and for supporter interest, and winning games is always positive.

Hanley getting sent off for Norwich. Defending as a team all round, both in planning and execution. Playing against a team that allowed Pompey to run at them with pace; what we do best as an attack.

A bit disappointed. I thought it was time we got a top PL team. However, a home draw against a Championship side gives us at least an even chance of progressing and we should be positive.

What does Portsmouth's medium-term future look like? Will they be returning to the Premier League within the next five years?

Pompey are naturally a Championship level side. If not this season, I expect us to gain promotion over the next few years as we should be in the top six L1 teams in any season. The wages we are willing to pay will leave us in the bottom half of the Championship, but we should be able to settle there without being over-threatened by relegation. The long-term plans for the club should allow us to edge up the Championship and maybe even flirt with the play-offs on occasion. However, I cannot see Pompey returning to the PL (unless exceptional good fortune takes a hand) until we move on from a system where many Championship clubs are either boosted by huge parachute payments or incur massive debts in an attempt to gain promotion.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

1) The club was being used as a pawn in the personal feud between the Gaydamaks and Chainrai/Kushnir. The fact that we are no longer in either of their clutches is the reason for the resurgence. We had "an owner" in the Pompey Supporters Trust, and the Presidents (all bar 1 of whom were also Pompey fans, with deeper pockets than most) who stabilised the club, got it moving forward. We now have equally studious owners in Tornante, and I am confident that we fans made the right decision in selling to them.

2) The players getting the headlines have been Lowe, Curtis and Clarke, but our position is based upon solid performances by all 11 players on the pitch. It would be easier to single out who have been the disappointments.

3) I think the low ebb for me was the 20-odd winless game streak under Guy Whittingham.

4) I think that unless you can guarantee decent budgets year after year, relegation was pretty much guaranteed at some point. Look at Aston Villa - I've never known them out of the top flight since I started following football in the 70s. Therefore, no I would not have swapped 2008 for years of losing more than we win.

5) The cup run has been 4 games thus far. I don't think it's a massive distraction, no.

6) The key moment was Grant Hanley being sent off, let's be honest. Norwich did well for 75 minute with 10 men, and it's only our resolute defending and one moment of brilliance that won the day.

7) I'm fairly certain the club were disappointed, they quite fancied a big pay-day. I don't mind either way to be honest. QPR is, I think, a winnable game, they had an awful start to the season, although Schteeeve McLaren has turned it around well. No team likes coming to a rocking Fratton Park, and we'll just get one of the big boys in the next round!

8 ) Medium term. Hmmm. In some respects, I'd like us to get back to the Prem, because I want to see my team playing at the highest level possible. On the other hand, I don't want to see us overspend in order to get there, and I don't really want to pay the inflated ticket prices in the Prem either. Mid-table Champs is fine for me for the time being. However, I do think the owners want us to get there, but in a sustainable way, so it'll be interesting to see what they put in place, in terms of additional income streams, to help with financing a push to the summit.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

1) The excellent ground work done by the trust for me has the been the key turning point, the move away from owners who have little or no care/thoughts for the club was a massive move for Pompey. The next phase was the new owners taking over from the trust, from the outset they have approached the management and running of the club completely differently from past owners. They have been open and honest with their plans for the club, although the slowly slowly approach might not be to everyone's liking i believe this will see a very bright future for the club and has also been key in the progress the club has made recently.

2) For me Curtis has made a big difference and also Lowe seems to have come on leaps and bounds, Clarke and Whatmough have also provided a great deal of stability at the back. Not sure whether it is natural progression from the players or the inputs from the manager and his assistant, probably a combination of the both, confidence breeds results as well and we seem to have loads of that at the moment. I am not sure what input Joe Gallen has but the way he conducts his interviews that i have seen he talks so much sense, this must be having an influence on the players.

3) The prospect that the club could have ceased to exist without a doubt for me.

4) No way would i have swapped that feeling of being at Wembley with my Father, Brother and friends to watch Pompey lift the cup for staying in the Premier League. Unfortunately the Premier League and the obscene money involved is poison for the game, sadly i can't see it changing or improving though.

5) In football in the UK there is no better competition than the FA Cup, how can winning the oldest association football trophy in the world be a bad thing ? A good run in the cup again breeds confidence in the players and the fans. Yes, the financial benefits to a club like Pompey are great, but there is no better feeling that watching your team in that competition, or even better, winning it !

6) A gutsy performance and never giving up.

7) Nope, if you want to win the cup you have to beat everyone put in front of you. I believe if we can recover well from the Blackpool result and get that confidence back we will beat QPR, especially with the home advantage, if we get a positive start we are hard to beat at home.

8 Extremely positive, the owners from day one advised that they were in for the long haul and progress would be slow but steady, they gave all the reasons for this. Me personally i don't think a return to the Premier League in the next five years, unless we have achieved most of the new owners objectives such as decent academy and new ground have been met. A return to the Premier League with the current ground is a recipe for disaster, we can not sustain the player wages with the capacity of FP, it never worked before and it wont work again. I would rather have a few years in the Championship until we are ready for a return to the top flight.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
ThatsLiquidFootball
Collins Mbesuma

Post by ThatsLiquidFootball »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help in curating this piece. It's now live on the site, with quotes from those who replied!

https://thatsliquidfootball.com/2019/01 ... ound-five/

Hope the piece gives a fair representation of the club's trials and tribulations, and also reflects the positivity around Pompey at the moment!

All the best for the rest of the season!

Cheers,
Marc