Complete this sentence

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Complete this sentence

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The wheels on the bus...

A) go round and round

B) are a bit flat

C) are wobbling

D) are falling off
Last edited by No Shot Sherlock on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Complete this sentence

Post by richisbradders »

The wheels were wobbling since gillingham, but they were classed as bad days at the office
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

c) are wobbling

The next two weeks are significant for our season, signing a striker and steadying our form are crucial both top priorities otherwise we could be dragged into the play-off lottery.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:07 pm c) are wobbling

The next two weeks are significant for our season, signing a striker and steadying our form are crucial both top priorities otherwise we could be dragged into the play-off lottery.
Yeah, but I bet almost all of us would have taken a play-off place before the season started. Maybe the Eisners thought the same?
Last edited by No Shot Sherlock on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

[/quote] Yeah, but I best almost all of us would have taken a play-off place before the season started. Maybe the Eisners thought the same?
[/quote]

True, but when you've had a 7 point lead at the top, the play-offs will feel like second best.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

From where we were before Christmas, anything other than automatics means we have let ourselves down.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I have long suggested that the owners don't necessarily want us to be promoted....so KJ may be listening to his employers who pay him, not the fans who pay the Eisners.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Why would the owners not want us to be promoted?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 pm I have long suggested that the owners don't necessarily want us to be promoted....so KJ may be listening to his employers who pay him, not the fans who pay the Eisners.
Whilst I can see it might be remotely possible Johnny Owner of any particular club might not want the extra responsibility that comes with promotion, I cant envision any scenario where an owner would say that to a manager...……..and to suggest any manager in the civilized world would throw games to avoid promotion is ridiculous.
See you at the next Flat Earth Meeting
Div III. Call it what it is.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

According to Jordan Cross's article in The Snooze the other day , Newcastle had a budget of £80m to get promoted from the Championship . Norwich finished about 8th and had a budget of £55m , Villa finished 13th and had a budget of £61m . The lowest budget anyone has got promoted with is £21m and that was Huddersfield a couple of years ago. Our budget was approx £3.2m last season . Just stop and think for a minute how much we are going to increase our budget if we go up . There is a school of thought that the Eisners may be saying to Kenny "Whooa - hold on there . Have you any idea how much extra we are going to have to spend if we go up ?? " By getting us to the top of the league on such a meagre outlay , we could be setting ourselves up for a fall. Go up and we could go straight back down without massive investment that the Eisners may not be prepared to outlay. It's just a school of thought but COULD be possible. This all might be happening a little too fast for our owners . I don't think for one minute that the Eisners wouldn't take promotion if it was there but you have to think how much more are we going to have to pay out for players to keep up with other people just to survive in the division above.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Slow and steady, incremental and (importantly) sustainable growth is clearly still the plan, and who are we to argue. As Rumourmonger suggests, it's hard to see how we could compete in the Championship next season without ripping up that plan (and risking the long-term objective). Of course, there may not be a better chance of gaining promotion, but do we really want to be cannon fodder next season? As I said previously, this transfer window will say a lot about the owners' intentions, but IF they do decide to go with what we've already got then I can live with that, and the consequences. More importantly, imho, is what they're doing with respect to improving the infrastructure, particularly the stadium. If we are to compete at the next level on a sustainable basis, we have to increase the stadium revenue streams, and I don't just mean on match days.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:31 pm
uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 pm I have long suggested that the owners don't necessarily want us to be promoted....so KJ may be listening to his employers who pay him, not the fans who pay the Eisners.
Whilst I can see it might be remotely possible Johnny Owner of any particular club might not want the extra responsibility that comes with promotion, I cant envision any scenario where an owner would say that to a manager...……..and to suggest any manager in the civilized world would throw games to avoid promotion is ridiculous.
No one expected us to get promoted this year, it was another year of growth. Just look back at the pre season comments. The owners have a shrewd business plan so we grow financially responsibly. With little to no investment in January, the owners can say all the right things, stay within budget and if we come third and have a solid go at it, then all will be forgiven.

Promotion would advance the business plan if we want to survive as has been noted on several threads. Maybe, rather than than say don't get promoted...they could be saying, don't try your hardest.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Isn’t it a case of being the best we can be within the resources available? We have no right to expect anyone to make losses as owners of the club. We couldn’t have done that if we were still the owners.

I’ll be happy wherever we end up.

I will love watching Pompey where ever they are.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:27 am
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:31 pm
No one expected us to get promoted this year, it was another year of growth. Just look back at the pre season comments. The owners have a shrewd business plan so we grow financially responsibly. With little to no investment in January, the owners can say all the right things, stay within budget and if we come third and have a solid go at it, then all will be forgiven.

Promotion would advance the business plan if we want to survive as has been noted on several threads. Maybe, rather than than say don't get promoted...they could be saying, don't try your hardest.
1. Plenty of people thought we could at least challenge the play off spots...there aint a whole lot of difference between div III and 4
2.. If you get promoted, don't put much in the team, then get relegated you make more profit than not getting promoted
3. Jackett and his team have done a really poor job of not trying too hard
4. How exactly do you tell your players to not try too hard?
5. Again...unthinkable that any football manager from any serious football nation would not resign upon getting any sort of instruction like that. Cant think of any such instance coming to light other than the very occasional lower / foreign league player involved in gambling corruption

Its all nonsense

Also....Bristol City, Hull, Swansea, QPR, Sheffield Wed & Utd, Preston, Milwall, Rotherham, ...all Div II teams....why cant we compete with them in that league?
Div III. Call it what it is.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Again the transfer window isnt over, but as has been mentioned if we’re trying to go for promotion shouldn’t we be also trying to start to build a squad that can/has played at that level?

So far we have Pitman who by next season will be past his prime and Naylor who got relegated with Burton (although I highly rate Naylor)