Complete this sentence

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Complete this sentence

Post by Earl Grey »

richisbradders wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 pm Again the transfer window isnt over, but as has been mentioned if we’re trying to go for promotion shouldn’t we be also trying to start to build a squad that can/has played at that level?

So far we have Pitman who by next season will be past his prime and Naylor who got relegated with Burton (although I highly rate Naylor)
Pitman's only 30 so just because he looks 37 doesn't mean he's past it.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

c) are wobbling

Of course, everyone at the club wants to see us promoted and to suggest otherwise is just plain bonkers!
PUP
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

OldSpice wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:08 pm c) are wobbling

Of course, everyone at the club wants to see us promoted and to suggest otherwise is just plain bonkers!
Cheers OS, and I'm not actually suggesting otherwise.

However, welcoming it if it happens, and going all out to ensure it are two different things. Going all out for it (ie adding quality to the squad in this window) would suggest the owners believe we are, or can be, ready to compete at the next level (or at least hold our own). If so then that's great, but my point is that we seem to be ahead of the curve on the field but not off of it, and that promotion could exacerbate that situation. Personally, I'd settle for a couple more seasons in League One if it allowed infrastructure improvements (or at least concrete plans for them) to progress such that we can hope to compete in the Championship on a sustainable basis, long term, rather than risk/delay that goal for the sake of a one-season wonder.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 pm

However, welcoming it if it happens, and going all out to ensure it are two different things. Going all out for it (ie adding quality to the squad in this window) would suggest the owners believe we are, or can be, ready to compete at the next level (or at least hold our own). If so then that's great, but my point is that we seem to be ahead of the curve on the field but not off of it, and that promotion could exacerbate that situation. Personally, I'd settle for a couple more seasons in League One if it allowed infrastructure improvements (or at least concrete plans for them) to progress such that we can hope to compete in the Championship on a sustainable basis, long term, rather than risk/delay that goal for the sake of a one-season wonder.
You worry far too much :)
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Calm down everybody - we're safe ;-)
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

How well we do is always going to be about how deep the owners pockets are, that can be proven at Man City (and Chelsea before that). Without the Sheikh's money, they would not be as good as they are - simples. But even they, with their untold wealth, had a rocky period before Christmas, but turned it round by beating their biggest competitors this season. So maybe it is just that. Maybe every team has such a period - did Wigan, I can't remember?

We've also had to deal with losing players. If we have a lot of loan players, that's always the risk. But if we have to live within a strict budget (and I'm all for that from past experience), then that's the risk. At least this season, that has given us a damned good start. Unless it's just my tired grey cells, I seem to remember we always do better in the second half of the season. Okay, that's not probably possible this season after such a good start. But it does mean we should, anecdotally at least, have a good second half. Add that to where we are now and we should still do well. Plus, the transfer widow is still open. Maybe they can pull another Ben Thompson out of the hat.

Let's see where we are at the end of January. Luton will have played an extra game to us (due to our cup game) AND we will have played them away.

I agree that we really do need to get a good striker. But in level three football, they can't be easy to find, otherwise they would be playing at a higher level. Unless of course you have deep pockets to tempt one away from a rival, or to come down from the championship.

Let's face it, it wouldn't be Pompey if we didn't make things difficult.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Absolutely nothing wrong with a mid-season kick up the Harris.

We didn’t get to the top of table by luck, but we haven’t looked world beaters either. A wobble is inevitable.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The wheels on the bus are certainly wobbling, and it's fair to say that January has been pretty poor, by our lofty standards this season.

Do Tornante want us to go up? Yes. Of course they do. Is it ideal for them? No, I'd say it wasn't, they don't want to have to invest masses of money, they've been pretty clear about that, right from the get-go. I think they would want to have the stadium able to offer multiple revenue streams, in order to use those funds to invest in the team.

Will they make us competitive in the Champs? Depends upon your definition of competitive. Challenging for a play-off place? No. Mid-table is more likely, I would suspect, but if we get relegated straight back down, well that's not the end of the world.

Tornante have obviously hit problems with their plans for the stadium. They said that they would be releasing details of the stadium plan in August, and we're still waiting. I think, on that front, we're going to need to be patient.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Well imo Lowe, Curtis, Clarke & McGillvray would make the step up easily. Anyhow we need to get there first.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 pm

I have to say I wish I had the eloquence to put it as well as NSS. We have seldom met on common ground in recent years, but I think on this one, we share the same opinion.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Thought I’d continue the gloom. And Luton and Barnsley almost out of sight.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Wheels? What wheels?
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Kenny's now saying he wants 8 or 9 wins from the last 10 games, we've got 8 points from the last 10 relegation form not promotion
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Life is full of ups and downs - if we win well tonight all will seem much more cheery!

Being a glass half full person is more fun!