Southend

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Southend

Post by New Forester »

We don’t even deserve to make the play offs. After going three goals up we were awful. Just how many times did we give away possession with misplaced long balls? Southend outplayed us in the second half by simple passing movements. I’m no expert but I just cannot understand our playing style of playing long balls instead of simple passing out of defence and through midfield. Long balls have a place, as long as they are accurate. And accuracy was completely missing after 30 minutes.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Southend

Post by Sam_Brown »

What a bag of ****. Embarrassing that the first time we're on TV for ages and we play like that.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

How we have played all season... It's the Jacket Way.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I'm not a fan on knee-jerk reactions, but I can see Kenny being replaced in the summer if this continues. He's consolidated us as a League One team but his style will limit the future progression. A dignified handshake and thanks, but time to consider a better option.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

It would be nice to see some sort of emotion from him.

I blame him for today him and his unwillingness to change the shape.

When was the last time he did a non like for like change?
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

When was the last time he did a non like for like change
Surely bringing on Evans for Bogle was not "like for like" and was an attempt to win back the centre of midfield?
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

Please can someone put there arm around Hawkins shoulder and gently inform him that although we welcome his aerial flicks and efforts there is more to forward play than what he is doing . Here we are pushing for promotion to the Championship and we have a forward on the pitch who is clearly from Div 2 or lower. I just don’t get Jacket sometimes , our squad is looking very average at the moment. God help us against better sides to come.
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

We wouldn't have a hope in the Championship week in week out.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Bogal was playing off Hawkins - Evans played off Hawkins.

Until we made our final change and Evans went out wide.

The shape didn't change and it never does - we needed an extra body in midfield they had so much space and control of the middle of the park Stevie Wonder could have seen what was required.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1985 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:40 pm Bogal was playing off Hawkins - Evans played off Hawkins.

The shape didn't change and it never does - we needed an extra body in midfield they had so much space and control of the middle of the park Stevie Wonder could have seen what was required.
Worrying isn't it. But one of KJ's biggest drawbacks for me, he simply doesn't react quick enough. And when he does he usually reverts to hoofball.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

pompeygunner wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:00 pm
Pompey1985 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:40 pm Bogal was playing off Hawkins - Evans played off Hawkins.

Worrying isn't it. But one of KJ's biggest drawbacks for me, he simply doesn't react quick enough. And when he does he usually reverts to hoofball.
Reverts suggests there are occasions it hasn't been hoofball.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Interesting article in the Snooze today with comments from KJ about Bogle's fitness and his ongoing issue with cramp that forced him off. Whilst this doesn't excuse the collapse that took place after he was subbed, it does reinforce the fact that getting him fully fit for 90 mins could be the key factor in the rest of our season.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I was too angry to post after the game. I manage an U18s team in the Surrey League and my lads would have known how to hold on to the ball better than the Pompey players. If we lose or draw tomorrow night I could see it getting very toxic.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

SB - I know exactly how you feel...I felt the same. Couldn't bring myself to post or even read some dribble excusing the inexorable outcome of that game. I always read your posts (and always your BFTG reports) and now understand where your knowledge comes from re U18's. I played semi pro footy in my past to a good standard so know what is required from football pro's. When I played, team mates would always tell you when to 'hold it' or 'turn', 'man on' etc, etc, and we would practice such things at our training sessions. Do you think Pompey don't do that? Because so many times when watching the games they have the opportunity to bring the ball down, control and distribute...but no, they just boot it away mostly to the opposition who gleefully start yet another attack!! Hoofball! Surely, KJ et al must be sufficiently savvy to know what needs to be done...or is it that the players themselves are just not good enough/skilled to be able to do it? After about 4 games this season I put in writing that we would be lucky to end up mid table. Since then we have had several changes to the playing staff which, in theory, should improve performance. Unfortunately I don't believe it has and judging by the last 8 or so matches I stick by my forecast and do not think we will even make the playoffs. Sad but realistic. 8)