That's more like it!!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

That's more like it!!

Post by eltorrro »

10/10 for effort...NO HOOFBALL...better team selection...better formation...more determination. The only blemish was Bogle...not only for the missed pen but his ability to hold, supply and pass the ball. MoM for me was shared by Burgess and Naylor...tremendous games both. This needs to be the way they play every match and we might just nick a playoff place. 8)
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: That's more like it!!

Post by rumourmonger »

Totally agree about Burgess and Naylor and I would include Ben Close as well. Always managed to find a bit of time on the ball and was a calm head in an otherwise frantic midfield. Much , much better than Tuesday and something to build on. Note to Kenny . I don't care if Bogle is the only man volunteering to take a penalty , never let him near one again. That was poor.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

A game we would have won, but for a pathetic penalty. If you are going to place a penalty in the corner it needs to be hit hard just in case the keeper guesses the right way as happened. Its a poor penalty. I was worried immediately when Bogle took such a short run-up and then he compounded that with just a side-foot shot with no power that the keeper was able to reach with comfort. No excuse for such a poor penalty really.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Go along with you all, far better performance, no hoofball. Bloke who sits next to me said Bogle didn't shape up like he was going to score it.
Vince
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Yes a much better performance all round, we had a better pace & intensity about our play that's been missing. Really thought KJ got it spot on yesterday & the players responded, far more football far less hoofball.
Special mention for Burgess who put in a towering performance & deservedly took the MoM award. Ben Close was decent & got us on the ft foot, I feel a bit sorry for Naylor who time & again won the ball but then buggered up the pass. Brown showed a huge improvement & Walkes was VG. Shame about the pen but these things happen. But much more encouraging against a good Barnsley team.
PUP PPU
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Agree with most of the above sentiments. That was MUCH better. Left Fratton Park feeling much more optimistic. If we continue to play like that we will definitely be in the play offs and then, who knows?! Burgess has shown tremendous character to come back from the mauling he got a few weeks ago, and for the third game in a row he outperformed Clarke - never thought I would hear myself saying that! Naylor was also immense, especially in the second half, Walkes gets better and better each week, and Brown was marginally better. I also liked the look of Solomon-Otobar whose pace won the penalty, and Curtis looks much more comfortable on the right. A couple of grumbles: 1. I disagree with people about Close. Agreed, he looks comfortable on the ball, but when he doesn't have possession he is not great IMO. He pussies out of too many challenges for my liking, and that is why he will never be the player that Ben Thompson is. 2. I thought Omar Bogle was very poor on Saturday. Taking his penalty to one side (I also thought he would miss it and hate left footers taking penalties!) the rest of his play was poor at best, with his positioning suspect. And, the amount of times he drifted offside, especially in the second half was worrying. At one point most of the north stand lower were screaming at him to get onside - worrying. It's like he doesn't get it? He obviously has talent as he shows in short bursts but he is VERY lazy. I'm gutted about this as I though he could be the answer. I'd almost rather have Pitman instead of him, almost. Pitman, however, would have scored the penalty.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Interesting when we signed Bogle, fans from his other teams were saying how often he gets caught offside. Surely that is an easily collectable thing!
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

I still think you will go up .

Not as easily as it once looked , but I think you will do it .

Not that I want you to :!:
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Number 1 Jasper wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 pm I still think you will go up .

Not as easily as it once looked , but I think you will do it .

Not that I want you to :!:
Oh yes you do :wink:
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Hey Jasper...what's it like being a 'closet' Pompey supporter? I would imagine it's a bit like being a spy...having to watch what you say and particularly careful with the company you keep. Do you actually have a Pompey kit at home that you occasionally cross dress in? Does it feel nicer than wearing a stripey set? Fascinating...how do you hide it from your friends and will you ever 'come out'? 8)
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:55 am Hey Jasper...what's it like being a 'closet' Pompey supporter? I would imagine it's a bit like being a spy...having to watch what you say and particularly careful with the company you keep. Do you actually have a Pompey kit at home that you occasionally cross dress in? Does it feel nicer than wearing a stripey set? Fascinating...how do you hide it from your friends and will you ever 'come out'? 8)
:smt021
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"