Checkatrade Final attendance

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Checkatrade Final attendance

Post by uspompeyfan »

What is the record attendance for the final of this cup? Just wondering that if the two top supported clubs in the lower divisions buy out their full allotment of tickets, could there be a new record? For some reason I have a figure of 69K in my head from somewhere in the distant past.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Checkatrade Final attendance

Post by Claygate »

It’s circa 80k, when Wolves won it some years ago.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The record attendance for the final is 80,841, for the 1988 Final match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Burnley at the old Wembley.

The record attendance at the new Wembley stadium (from 2008) is 74,434 for the 2017 final between Coventry City and Oxford United.

(From Wikipedia).
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I can genuinely see that record being broken this season.

Can you imagine the deathly hush if MK Dons were playing Morecambe....
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:26 pm I can genuinely see that record being broken this season.

But the upside is you wouldn't have to queue for drinks or the toilets...
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:26 pm I can genuinely see that record being broken this season.

But the upside is you wouldn't have to queue for drinks or the toilets...
That has to be the most "Glass Half Full" post I have ever seen.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

When do tickets go on general sale for non-season ticket holders? Says todays sales are for season ticket holders & checktrade purchase history peeps.
I am me, the universe and you.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Next Monday (18th) but judging by the reports on Social Media of how the system is crashing under the weight of calls, I suspect they'll all be gone before it gets to general sale. I'm all for prioritizing, but allowing everyone to buy up to 6 tickets seems a little strange.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

They did similar for the 2010 cup final IIRC, season ticket holders were able to buy multiple tickets per season ticket, and so a mate of a season ticket holder was given priority over those that had actually attended a game during the season.

The 2008 final was allocated beautifully. Basically you were guranteed a ticket if you had...
- A season ticket
- Were a 'member'
- Been to three or more games
- Travelled away to one of the early cup rounds
(..Basically anyone that had any right to claim one got a ticket)

On top of that, any remaining fan that had attended 1-3 games that season, had about a 50% chance of getting a ticket, after that a few went on general sale.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I'm wishing now that I had brought a ticket for Bury even though I couldn't go. Next time I'll think ahead!
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I must admit the six tickets rule is a bit of a joke but then on the flip side i am able to take my son and wife who are not season ticket holders. When i went to both the semi's and finals in 2008 and 2010 i was not able to do that. I am able to do it this time because i bought two tickets for two games in a competition that nobody was interested in until we got to Wembley :D

I guess from the clubs perspective, they have had very poor attendances at the earlier games, people openly slating the competition and i would imagine they were concerned that the final attendance might be low. So why not let those persons that supported the team during the tournament have half a dozen tickets, if that means that the seats are all sold then happy days. It gives season ticket holders like myself the ability to take family members who i cant take to home games due to limited seats then that's not such a bad thing.

I logged on at 0800hrs this morning, got the tickets i wanted in about 5 minutes after being in a virtual queue.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Portchester PFC wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 pm So why not let those persons that supported the team during the tournament have half a dozen tickets, if that means that the seats are all sold then happy days. It gives season ticket holders like myself the ability to take family members who i cant take to home games due to limited seats then that's not such a bad thing.
I don't begrudge you that at all, and it is only right that people such as yourself who have been to earlier games and are season ticket holders should get first priority. Someone on Social Media earlier was boasting that he had got 38 tickets - if that is true and not just a wind up, then something is wrong!
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm
Portchester PFC wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 pm So why not let those persons that supported the team during the tournament have half a dozen tickets, if that means that the seats are all sold then happy days. It gives season ticket holders like myself the ability to take family members who i cant take to home games due to limited seats then that's not such a bad thing.
I don't begrudge you that at all, and it is only right that people such as yourself who have been to earlier games and are season ticket holders should get first priority. Someone on Social Media earlier was boasting that he had got 38 tickets - if that is true and not just a wind up, then something is wrong!
Couldn’t agree more about someone having that many tickets, they must have had different peoples log in details if they bought them online as you had to log in to the Pompey system to get them and you could only get your six.

I only got what I needed, if they are selling that amount over the phone then there is something wrong.
Heaven's Light Our Guide