How good was that!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: How good was that!

Post by FatBlueAde »

That was a bl**dy fantastic day out, second game for my lad and if you ever wanted to sell either Pompey or football to someone that was definitely the game to go to. As others have said the game had everything in terms of highs and lows, and we left Wembley barely able to speak and totally unable to stop grinning, the moment that Hawkins penalty went in and that moment of sheer spontaneous, pure joy (and no little relief) will live with him (and me) forever! A great day and shows what a great club (fans, team the lot) we have, I was damn lucky to get hold of a couple of tickets through the good graces of one of the other posters on here and shall be forever grateful that he went the extra mile to help a fellow fan.

Just as an aside I did chat with a few Sunderland fans after the match, those I spoke to were pretty damn gracious and felt we just deserved the win, they are also bricking it about the up upcoming games, making the point that whilst the games in hand should be a great thing.......at this time of the season (and particularly after a game like that) just gave them a mass of congested games for a knackered squad and if they end up in the playoffs they don't hold out for their chances.......repeat game at then end of the season anyone?

Cheers all and PUP
Living in exile thinking Blue
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:13 pm
PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 pm Plus I wonder if we feel more connected to the players now than we did back then? It feels more like real football now.
That's a good point. Linvoy aside, none of the Premier League players engaged with the community over and above what they were told to do by the PR people. Can you imagine Sol Campbell or Germ De Flu going out to coach a local lads team? Maybe Jamo might have been inclined to do so, maybe Herman?

It feels like the current squad "get" Portsmouth.
Also, we have a CEO who totally "gets" Portsmouth. Everytime I hear him interviewed my respect for him grows. The Eisners need to ensure he isn't poached by anyone. This is his post-Checkatrade Final interview:

Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 pm Also anyone know what the clapping was for near the start of the second half?
That was for Bradley Lowery.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Was a great day out, the noise we generated was awesome. don't care what trophy it is, when you get to Wembley winning is all that matters and we won :D :D
That roar when Jamal scored will never be forgotten.

Back again in May :?: :?:
Vince
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Still buzzing three days later. I am so proud to be part of the Blue Army. We are immense.
On the way up Talk Sport was all about Blunderland being a big club, previously poorly managed, unfortunate times, brilliant support, deserve more .... etc. On Sky Sports in the pub again it was all about them, not unfashionable Portsmouth.
Well two fingers up to the lot of ya!

I took and old friend of mine and his six year old with my family. It was the little lads first trip to Wembley and one he will remember. I must get him a season ticket as the last time he saw Portsmouth was when we won the League on the final day.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompeymack wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:50 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 pm Also anyone know what the clapping was for near the start of the second half?
The clapping for Bradley Lowery was at the start of the first half - 6 mins in cos he was 6 years old, IIRC.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:43 pm
The clapping for Bradley Lowery was at the start of the first half - 6 mins in cos he was 6 years old, IIRC.
Pompey Pirate? He was mentioned in the lead-up to the game.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:43 pm
Pompey Pirate? He was mentioned in the lead-up to the game.
Seems a good shout.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 am
richisbradders wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 am
Weybridge wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:05 pm Anyone know what sort of windfall we get from our triumph?

I doubt prize money amounts to much, but Wembley sellout has to generate a few quid.
I think we got £100k in prize money and supposedly the gate receipts went to the EFL?
The rules are less than totally clear, and I have read them a few times to try and make sense of them.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competiti ... gulations/

They talk about the division of net proceeds (after expenses) being 45% per club up to the quarter-finals. There's then a bit about reduction of share for invited (the PL U21s) clubs to 0% in group stages through to 30% in the final. However, nothing I could see on the share for L1/2 clubs in the semi-finals or final. It would seem unfair (and unlikely) that a PL U21 side would get 30% of the Wembley gate, but nothing for a L1/2 side, so I would hope it is at least 30%, but could be anything or nothing, it is after all the FL.

I hope someone knows more, or can work out the rules better than I could.
A piece in the Snooze today says we'll get £100,000 in prize money, plus 30% of gate receipts.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 pm...plus 30% of gate receipts.
No idea what the tickets cost, but with a conservative estimate of a £20 average ticket price, is a not too shabby £500k :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I love this story. One very happy family, and good work (again) from Mark Catlin to get it signed, etc.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8876824
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Great story. Thanks for posting.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb