Record numbers descend on Wembley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

just blue
Milan Mandaric

Record numbers descend on Wembley

Post by just blue »

Portsmouth beat Sunderland on penalties to win the Checkatrade Trophy following a compelling 2-2 draw in front of a competition-record crowd of 85,021 at Wembley.

The match-up of two former Premier League clubs was a dream scenario for the sometimes maligned competition's organisers, as just more than 85,000 headed through the Wembley turnstiles.

This crowd easily surpassed the previous competition record of 80,841 when Wolves beat Burnley in 1988, and also set a record for the competition at the new Wembley Stadium, surpassing the 74,434 who watched Coventry beat Oxford in 2017.

Only Barcelona's 2-0 win against city neighbours Espanyol in the Spanish top flight on Saturday drew a larger crowd across Europe this weekend, with 92,795 in attendance at the Nou Camp.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47709134
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Re: Record numbers descend on Wembley

Post by ... and chips »

"Only Barcelona's 2-0 win against city neighbours Espanyol in the Spanish top flight on Saturday drew a larger crowd across Europe this weekend, with 92,795 in attendance at the Nou Camp."
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

And Rubi Jnr was at the Nou Camp and hence me not making Wembley, as I didn't want to be a Johnny no mates! Still, lots of Brownie points earned, as I took the Mrs out for Mother's Day instead. Yep, didn't even get to watch it on the box!
... and chips wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:28 am "Only Barcelona's 2-0 win against city neighbours Espanyol in the Spanish top flight on Saturday drew a larger crowd across Europe this weekend, with 92,795 in attendance at the Nou Camp."
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

RubiconCSL wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:58 am And Rubi Jnr was at the Nou Camp and hence me not making Wembley, as I didn't want to be a Johnny no mates! Still, lots of Brownie points earned, as I took the Mrs out for Mother's Day instead. Yep, didn't even get to watch it on the box!
... and chips wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:28 am "Only Barcelona's 2-0 win against city neighbours Espanyol in the Spanish top flight on Saturday drew a larger crowd across Europe this weekend, with 92,795 in attendance at the Nou Camp."
There were 40,000 of us - you must have known someone.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

:lol: I keep myself to myself - that and living a hundred miles away :)
Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:23 pm
RubiconCSL wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:58 am And Rubi Jnr was at the Nou Camp and hence me not making Wembley, as I didn't want to be a Johnny no mates! Still, lots of Brownie points earned, as I took the Mrs out for Mother's Day instead. Yep, didn't even get to watch it on the box!
There were 40,000 of us - you must have known someone.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

I went by myself an there were 40,000 from a city I've lived in and around for 57 years, didn't see a single person I knew!! Still had a great day wouldn't have missed it for the world
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Purbrook Chimes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 am
I went by myself an there were 40,000 from a city I've lived in and around for 57 years, didn't see a single person I knew!! Still had a great day wouldn't have missed it for the world
I saw two of my boy's football team, and their dads, and the woman who owns the shop next door to mine.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour