Burton away could be interesting

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Burton away could be interesting

Post by RubiconCSL »

They've just drawn away at Sunderland (thanks for that), beat Barnsley 3-1 in the previous game and prior to that put 5 in against Accrington. So they are in form. Plus, it unfortunately looks like the game is live on Sky.

On the plus side, 4 home and only 2 away to go - although two toughies away: Burton and Sunderland.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Burton away could be interesting

Post by Weybridge »

Another win for Charlton too, they're going like a train.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Yes, Charlton are biting at our heels. However, we are the only team to have won all of the last four games. All those above us have dropped points - so let's hope that continues.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I think Burton are one of the best teams we have seen at Fratton Park this season - let's not forget they nearly beat us back on a Tuesday night in October. Also, a lot of Pompey fans seem to be talking like the 3 points are already in the bag on Saturday. Dangerous as Rochdale will be no pushovers. They are fighting for their League 1 lives and their last 7 league games form includes W3, D3, L1 , losing only to Sunderland, and that was only just in injury time! We need to be at our best on Saturday, and for both halves! No such thing as an easy game on the run in.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

RubiconCSL wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:20 pm Yes, Charlton are biting at our heels. However, we are the only team to have won all of the last four games. All those above us have dropped points - so let's hope that continues.
Whatever happens, we must avoid Charlton in the playoff semis.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Looking at Charlton though, although they've won 4 out of their last 5, the teams they've beaten aren't that impressive: -

Code: Select all

Wycombe        0-1 Charlton - lost all of their last 5 games
Plymouth       0-2 Charlton - 3 draws, 2 losses
Charlton       1-0 Bradford - lost all 5
Bristol Rovers 0-0 Charlton - 3 draws, 2 losses
Charlton       2-1 Burton   - (only decent team) 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

And Charlton entertain Luton on Saturday, so that will show if they are as good as their recent results suggest.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

RubiconCSL wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:31 pm And Charlton entertain Luton on Saturday, so that will show if they are as good as their recent results suggest.
They beat us easily enough both home and away :shock:
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Assuming that we don't win all our remaining games, which is what I think it will take to get into second place, it will be play-off time.

I agree with SB that we would want to avoid Charlton; we just don't seem to match up against them very well and they have beaten us pretty easily twice. Sunderland are the opposite in that although they might be better than Pompey, we match up well and have done well against them (first half at Wembley excepted).

I would like to play Peterborough, but it is more likely that Doncaster will be the last play-off team. Our games against them have been similar to those against Barnsley; hardly any chances let alone goals (four draws, two 0-0, two 1-1). However, I would fancy our chances against either team on dry pitches in May as I think we will create the better chances over two legs.

I suppose all that means that if we can't finish second, the aim would be to finish third to play Doncaster and leave the remaining teams to sort out the other semi-final.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think if we can pull off an unlikely win at Sunderland, we'll pinch 2nd. Draw or lose there and it's the playoffs. I can then see it being very close between three teams for third, with Doncaster making up the numbers.

Sadly, my gut says Sunderland will pip us by maybe a single point to take 2nd. They will be more than happy with a draw at home to us in the circumstances, which will make winning there even more difficult. So assuming we draw at Sunderland (but hoping for a win), then....

Code: Select all

Luton       98
Sunderland  92
Pompey      91
Barnsley    90
Charlton    89
Doncaster   (whatever)
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am Assuming that we don't win all our remaining games, which is what I think it will take to get into second place, it will be play-off time.

I agree with SB that we would want to avoid Charlton; we just don't seem to match up against them very well and they have beaten us pretty easily twice. Sunderland are the opposite in that although they might be better than Pompey, we match up well and have done well against them (first half at Wembley excepted).

I would like to play Peterborough, but it is more likely that Doncaster will be the last play-off team. Our games against them have been similar to those against Barnsley; hardly any chances let alone goals (four draws, two 0-0, two 1-1). However, I would fancy our chances against either team on dry pitches in May as I think we will create the better chances over two legs.

I suppose all that means that if we can't finish second, the aim would be to finish third to play Doncaster and leave the remaining teams to sort out the other semi-final.
I quite fancy playing Peterborough in the play-offs, simply because Abax (as in title sponsors of The Abax Stadium) are suppliers of mine, and I should be able to blag entry to their corporate box!
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour