BFTG - Rochdale

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

BFTG - Rochdale

Post by Locky_McLockface »

It seemed to me to be an oddly flat atmosphere at the park on Saturday, certainly compared to the last game that I attended. However, given that the last game I attended was at Wembley, perhaps that's understandable.

Rochdale had had a decent run of results of late, their only defeat being at the hands of Sunderland, and that was in injury time, so I was expecting them to offer more of a threat than they did. All they seemed to be able to do was foul, by my reckoning they racked up double figures by around 15-20 minutes. In fairness, they passed the ball about well, albeit without really troubling us much.

After a spell of good pressure, we took the lead on around 20 mins. Jamal Lowe collected the ball on the right, dummied a cross, drove towards the goal-line and his cross was met at the near post by Oli Hawkins, his glancing header easily beating their goalkeeper.

After that we seemed to sit back a little, and allowed 'dale on to us. You always seem to get one heart-in-mouth moment with Christian Burgess, and it happened during this period, his backpass to MacGillivray not having nearly enough power, and it nearly let their striker in to equalise. It also seemed to cause Mac a bit of an injury , as he needed treatment a few minutes after, but thankfully he was able to continue.

Pompey again applied pressure and on the stroke of half-time, Thompson broke into the box, and was upended. Pitman easily despatched the penalty. Rather bizarrely, the 4th official indicated 4 minutes of added time, and the whistle blew what seemed to all around us as about 2 minutes later.

Rochdale pulled one back early in the second half. None of our players seemed bothered enough to track back, all the defenders we had were drawn over the left hand side of the box, the ball broke to the centre, where two attackers were waiting.

That seemed to wake us up, and it wasn't long before the 2 goal cushion was restored, and it was fairly similar to the first, a ball crossed by Lowe from the right was met by Evans (on for Curtis).

I can't quite remember the exact sequence of events, but at around this part of the game, Hawkins found himself clear in the box, at an angle, but not a tight angle, and only the keeper to beat. He scuffed his shot, with his favoured right foot, when any decent contact would have seen him score. I can quite see why he frustrates many fans.

The fourth was probably the best of the goals, played through to a centrally-located Lowe, in far too much room, who rounded the on-rushing keeper and popped the ball into the onion bag.

We really should have had a 5th, too, as Lee Brown had what appeared to be a simple header, just get it on target, and it was in. Sadly, he failed to accomplish the first of those tasks, heading wide.

All in all, though, an excellent display, and with other results going our way, we have the momentum and the opportunity to claim automatic promotion this season.

MacGillivray - 8. Not left with much chance for their goal, but snuffed out the chance from Burgess's dodgy backpass well.
Thompson - 8. One of his better displays both offensively and defensively.
Burgess - 8. But for the mis-hit backpass, nothing else was an issue.
Clarke - 9. No more than we've come to expect from Clarke, won everything at the back, and several of his marauding runs forward too.
Brown - 7. Should have scored, but didn't. Solid enough at the back.
Close - 8. Needs a little more confidence to shoot, I feel, but nipped several Rochdale attacks before the developed.
Naylor - 8. Likewise, but doesn't need asking to shoot.
Curtis - 7. A little quiet from him, probs why he was the first to be subbed, but still showed talent in abundance.
Lowe - 9. The sponsor's MoM and who would argue. A goal and 2 assists.
Pitman - 9. I was impressed by Pitman, and comparing his performance to that against Luton, in the first game, it was Chalk and Cheese. He tracked back and defended. He marshalled his troops. He cared. A pleasure to watch.
Hawkins - 8. Took his goal well, he held the ball up well, brought the others into the game. I just wish he could shoot.....

Evans - 7 Contributed well.
Bogle - 6 Replaced Hawkins, had one decent effort, but we didn't play to his strengths
Morris - 5 Little more than a cameo.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: BFTG - Rochdale

Post by Selsey Bill »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 pm Pitman - 9. I was impressed by Pitman, and comparing his performance to that against Luton, in the first game, it was Chalk and Cheese. He tracked back and defended. He marshalled his troops. He cared. A pleasure to watch.
I wasn't Pitman's biggest fan at the start of the season, and quite happy to see him dropped. Since he has come back into the side (late on against Charlton away) he has been like a man possessed. In fact, I would go as far as to say he has made the difference and got us back on track.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Sorry I just dont get Bogle.
He is lazy, selfish and arrogant. Yet to see him really add anything to the squad.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

blue architect wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 am Sorry I just dont get Bogle.
He is lazy, selfish and arrogant. Yet to see him really add anything to the squad.
Interesting point.

I'm undecided on Bogle. Clearly, he has talent, you don't score as many as he did for Grimsby without a modicum of talent. Since leaving there, though, he's struggled. Does he believe his own hype too much, or are teams not playing to his strengths?

I see his strength as being the type of player to use speed to run onto a through ball - a stronger version of Conor Chaplin, if you like.

At Wembley, and on Saturday, we passed him the ball like we would to Hawkins - and I don't think that's what he needs. I think our midfielders and defenders need to adapt the way they pass the ball when he's on the pitch.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Interesting indeed with Bogle. I know someone who is a Grimsby fan who LOVED him. Something is not quite right with him, whether it is confidence or fitness I have no idea, but he obviously has ability - just re-watch the second half against Luton away you will see that he terrorised their defence. It's in there somewhere, just needs unlocking! Oh, and he's always off-bl**dy-side.