Good week-end, but we still need a win at Sunderland

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Good week-end, but we still need a win at Sunderland

Post by RubiconCSL »

That's my humble opinion, regardless of Sunderland only drawing. Barnsley's last two are very likely to bring them 6pts (Blackpool home and Wovers away, neither of whom have anything to play for). That puts them on 94. So a draw may well keep us above Sunderland, but we still need all 9pts to get past Barnsley I think.

Have we ever won 10 on the bounce?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Good week-end, but we still need a win at Sunderland

Post by Pompski! »

Hmmmm.... Might wait for one more win before cashing out. :thumb
Or more likely Luton losing tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
I am me, the universe and you.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well we do have the brilliant winning history of NE football on our side.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Remember the last time we needed to get something at Sunderland to win promotion? Lost 1-4, two players sent off, two penalties against and a very home-biased referee. Not a good precedent, and that was against a rubbish Sunderland team that finished fourth from bottom. We missed promotion to the PL on GD, and then blew the play-offs with Walsh suspended and more dodgy refereeing.

http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Match.aspx? ... S&LUID=114
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

However, maybe the dodgy referees monkey is off our backs? I read before the Coventry match, that the ref's son (Declan) plays for Coventry (U23 I think) and that Coventry had never lost a game he'd refereed before. Okay, he did his best with 6 mins extra time, but we still won :)

I really don't fancy Sunderland or even more so Charlton in the play offs. So we need to get it done with automatic promotion. I know play-offs mean another day at Wembley, but my nerves can't take it!
Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 am Remember the last time we needed to get something at Sunderland to win promotion? Lost 1-4, two players sent off, two penalties against and a very home-biased referee. Not a good precedent, and that was against a rubbish Sunderland team that finished fourth from bottom. We missed promotion to the PL on GD, and then blew the play-offs with Walsh suspended and more dodgy refereeing.

Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Thats Rich »

Would be interesting to look at it from Sunderland's point of view.

If Barnsley pick up 6 points as expected then even if the Mackems pick up all 9 then they cannot overtake them. Who would they rather play in the playoffs - Us, Barnsley or Charlton? They have lost to us once and drawn once (90mins). They have taken 4 points off both Barnsley and Charlton this season. It would make sense for them to rest some players against us..... however if Barnsley were to slip up however they would regret this.

They will play their strongest team but if they win or draw and Barnsley get their expected 6 points, they would seriously want to avoid us in the playoffs.
Why always me!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Luton should win tonight. Then they are away to Burton and home to Oxford. A loss and a draw would see us home as champions if we win three more. Fun, isn’t it. :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Well would you believe it? Wimbledon equalise in the 93rd minute. You just never know. :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

New Forester wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:52 pm Well would you believe it? Wimbledon equalise in the 93rd minute. You just never know. :thumb
A win at home to Oxford on the final day will still be enough for Luton to be promoted given their superior goal difference. However, they might now need something from Burton (A) if only to calm the jitters and guarantee the championship.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Odd night last night. Luton draw, Doncaster lose. And our neighbours score the fastest ever Premier League goal, just 7.69 seconds.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

A draw at Sunderland would not be the worst result in the world. It would probably hand Barnsley the second promotion spot, but would leave us in pole position for third place and close enough if Barnsley did drop points. It would also suggest Pompey to play Doncaster or Peterborough in the play-offs if it came to that, with Sunderland and Charlton left to battle it out. I would (almost) take that.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 am A draw at Sunderland would not be the worst result in the world. It would probably hand Barnsley the second promotion spot, but would leave us in pole position for third place and close enough if Barnsley did drop points. It would also suggest Pompey to play Doncaster or Peterborough in the play-offs if it came to that, with Sunderland and Charlton left to battle it out. I would (almost) take that.
Certainly a half-decent scenario. I can see Jackett playing Vaughan on Saturday. Their weak(ish) link does seem to be the centre-half pairing and Vaughan likes to put himself about. Obviously Hawkins did well at Wembley, but they are going to be desperate for the win so piling on a bit of pressure could be useful. Plus I imagine Vaughan will relish putting one past them after his barren season there.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

RubiconCSL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 pm However, maybe the dodgy referees monkey is off our backs? I read before the Coventry match, that the ref's son (Declan) plays for Coventry (U23 I think) and that Coventry had never lost a game he'd refereed before. Okay, he did his best with 6 mins extra time, but we still won :)

I really don't fancy Sunderland or even more so Charlton in the play offs. So we need to get it done with automatic promotion. I know play-offs mean another day at Wembley, but my nerves can't take it!
Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 am Remember the last time we needed to get something at Sunderland to win promotion? Lost 1-4, two players sent off, two penalties against and a very home-biased referee. Not a good precedent, and that was against a rubbish Sunderland team that finished fourth from bottom. We missed promotion to the PL on GD, and then blew the play-offs with Walsh suspended and more dodgy refereeing.

I see we have premier League official Craig Pawson for Saturday's game and then our Checkatrade Final referee Dean Whitestone for the Peterborough game on Tuesday.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

RubiconCSL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 pm However, maybe the dodgy referees monkey is off our backs? I read before the Coventry match, that the ref's son (Declan) plays for Coventry (U23 I think) and that Coventry had never lost a game he'd refereed before. Okay, he did his best with 6 mins extra time, but we still won :)
That was later admitted to be complete skcollob
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Just a brief message to wish a safe and successful journey to all those travelling up to the game at Sunderland.

I will be in Glasgow, but hopefully able to hear the radio commentary. PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante