Pompey vs Sunderland (decider ?)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Pompey vs Sunderland (decider ?)

Post by RubiconCSL »

Well, on current form, Luton could still mess up. If either of them draw their last game (not very likely I'll admit) and we can win the last two..... You never know. We could even be champions :)
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:03 pm Well, on current form, Luton could still mess up. If either of them draw their last game (not very likely I'll admit) and we can win the last two..... You never know. We could even be champions :)
Yep, its going to be a close run thing.

I might be wrong here, but I saw Ben Close got booked. Is that his fifth?
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I've already said that a draw at Sunderland wouldn't be the worst result. Given the balance of play, I will take that as a point gained, and certainly a result we would have taken at the start of the season when it would have been viewed as our most difficult fixture.

The important thing now is to win our last two games. Accrington are in form, but mid-table and Peterborough almost out of the play-off hunt. It would be awful if Barnsley or Luton messed up, but we failed to take advantage.

Otherwise, here's to seeing Sunderland at Wembley (again).
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:25 pm
Otherwise, here's to seeing Sunderland at Wembley (again).
It's rare that the top two placed teams make it to the final, I suspect that Charlton will get to Wembley and (hopefully) either Luton or Barnsley.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

It would certainly be ironic if we won the League 1 Title the same way we won Lge 2......
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

What a day! Not that I helped much but we Pompey fans clearly out performed our rivals. At 41,000 the attendance was only exceeded by the Spurs match yesterday.
There was little to choose between the two teams. Some great saves kept us in the match but we deserved the point. Nathan Thompson was my MOTM. Heard one Sunderland fan afterwards: "Their bl**dy no. 10 broke his leg 6 times during the match" Bit harsh. But we get the point.
What now? We can but dream. But I hope we avoid losing a penalty shoot out to Sunderland in a play off final. That would finish me off. And I want a more pleasant finale.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks NF. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your long day out. What is the SoL like to visit? I have never been, although did go to Roker Park many years ago.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

IMG_1171.jpg
Modern stadium. Decent facilities. Reasonable price for my two course lunch. Chicken balti and cheese and onion pastie. Delicious.
The Sunderland crowd was surprisingly quiet. Acoustics? Seemed to make enough noise for the first goal. Away area well covered so few problems in bad weather?
If driving, difficult getaway after the match. Our coach driver took a wrong turning. That didn't help.
If you believed what you read on their forums there is potential war between our supporters.But before and after the match outside the ground there were no problems I could see.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:58 pm Draw….. probably lost the chance for automatic promotion now, but secure in third place and an easier play-off game.

Point earned based on the balance of play, but a case of what could have been......
I think it’s a case what what could have been; Southend away, the missed penalty against Barnsley, oxford away with that dodgy team selection etc.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

richisbradders wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm
uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:58 pm Draw….. probably lost the chance for automatic promotion now, but secure in third place and an easier play-off game.

Point earned based on the balance of play, but a case of what could have been......
I think it’s a case what what could have been; Southend away, the missed penalty against Barnsley, oxford away with that dodgy team selection etc.
Some of us were accused of being ultra negative when we were concerned about the rush of silly dropped points against lower teams early in the New Year... QED I guess, but we were right as it is just a couple of points that may see us still in League 1 next season when were were definaley one of the two best teams in the league overall.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm
richisbradders wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Some of us were accused of being ultra negative when we were concerned about the rush of silly dropped points against lower teams early in the New Year... QED I guess, but we were right as it is just a couple of points that may see us still in League 1 next season when were were definaley one of the two best teams in the league overall.
Just did some digging around.

In League One, only once have three teams racked up 90+ points (Sheffield Utd finished 3rd in 2012 with 90, and lost to Huddersfield in the playoffs). In fact it’s incredibly rare for even two teams to pick up 90+ points. So if we fail to go up, it’ll likely be with the highest points total ever to do so. I don’t think anyone can really moan about dropped points in the grand scheme of things. Its just one of those years. Even Sunderland must still be eyeing a 90+ total.

For perspective - In 2007 Southend won the League with just 82 points, Colchester in 2nd had 79...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Well, that was the furthest I've ever traveled to watch Pompey. A round trip of just under 600 miles, four and half hours there and the same back. Actually a very easy journey with little traffic, though the rain up north on the way back was not pleasant. Parking really easy within a 10 minute walk of the ground. Got there early so had wander around town and a bite to eat. If you believe everything you read on social media you'd think there were running battles between both sets of fans, but we saw no problems whatsoever, and all the locals were very friendly and chatty. We got into the ground early as we had to move seats as we were in one of the front rows overseeing the home family section. That move didn't seem to make any difference as a Pompey fan through a flare into their supporters when we equalised. I'm glad to report that the imbecile got arrested soon after. Also saw another Pompey fan being dragged out of the home support when we equalised, but getting a couple of punches in the face by a home fan as he was taken out by the police. They did, however, re-house him up with us to a hero's welcome!

With regards to the game, the first 10 mins we were poor and they deservedly took the lead. Most of the rest of the first half we were the better team, and it wouldn't have been unjust of we had gone in 2-1 up. I thought the Curtis goal was fine, more a case of their keeper fluffing his lines than a foul on him. In the second half, they were better than us though we had a couple of breakaway chances but took wrong options. Big Mac was outstanding - making 4 outstanding saves. Thompson continued his great form of late, and yet again was very good, and I thought Naylor was excellent. I thought we looked leggy by the end, and we were hanging on a bit, so tomorrow night is a bit worrying for me.

Lovely stadium, though considering there were over 40,000 in the ground they were surprisingly quiet. The only two times you could really hear them were when they scored, and when they brought Maguire on. All in all, I would say we were a little lucky to get away with draw. Luton could still bottle it I feel, but now not sure we'll win our last two. PUP.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

We watched it from the Fratton End, on the big screen, and I didn't see why the referee disallowed Curtis' goal.

Having watched the YouTube highlights on both Pompey's and Sunderland's channels, and neither show the incident. Quite how the editors feel that a disallowed goal is not a highlight escapes me.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Coneyhurst Blue
Robbie Pethick

Post by Coneyhurst Blue »

Agree with what you said Selsey.
Just to flesh out the Pompey supporter it all happened 5 rows in front of me. The section we were in was corporate - Quins Bar, hot buffet meal available from noon with table service (if you got there early enough to get a table). We got there early had some beers and watched the Spurs game, food not great but it was the cheapest hospitality on offer.
We travel away like this several times a season never with any problem, if fact most occasions there is a warm welcome.
In Sunderland however the passion from the home fans was immense. There was a huge amount of abuse aimed towards both the players and the fans from mainly middle aged men with their kids. Strange because neither the players or the fans could hear.
When Pompey equalised the 3 guys below and to the left of me jumped up with arms in the air and cheered - ok maybe not the most sensible thing to do but surely we are grown ups and can accept a different fans perspective ?
The venom and aggression was unbelievable the home fans in this section were screaming at the staff to get them removed and screaming all sorts of abuse at the three chaps, all this was going on whilst on the pitch they had stopped the game for the flare.
Got very heated and not very pleasant - the chap next to me was going ballistic.
Eventually (4-5mins)the three were leaving with the ground staff and as they got near the bottom of the steps one of them took a couple of punches to the face from a Sunderland supporter.
Police came and identified the culprit and took him away - I hope he faces a lifetime ban.
Glad they rehoused our fan - the stadium must have known he was a Pompey fan as we were all sent the tickets a week before the game.
After the match they locked us in for an hour - fine with us we watched the Brighton game enjoying table service back in the bar.
Good weekend away but probably wouldn't go back to be honest.
PUP.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

We booked flights and an Air BnB 10 months ago and to ensure we got tickets we went corporate in the Business Lounge so paid £130 per ticket. Stadiumm tour (met Jim Montgomery in the Pompey dressing room talking to Barry Harris & Kev the Kitman, Jim a total gent) Lunch was amazing but match time was a bit hairy, we were mostly in Pompey ties and smartly dressed, me with my wife, it all got very heated especially with the flare incident and although the sunderland Fans around us calmed down it was a very hostile atmosphere throughout.
When our lounge closed we got sent to Quins Bar, but stayed for one pint as it was just getting a bit tasty with looks/comments aimed at us so we legged it back to Newcastle (stayed in Wallsend). 2 Great nights with the Geordies who loved us :D
As for the game 1 point gained, last season we would have caved in at the end and lost. Nathan Thompson deffo MOTM for us.
Flew back last night and Bryn Morris was on our plane so had a caht and he said feeling in the camp was a point gained.
Mark Catlin saw us form his lofty perch and made a point of coming to chat to us in the lounge before he flew back. Have to say it again, he is a top bloke. We met him quite a few times in League 2 games when we blagged our way into coporate areas to have a chat with execs and players at away games, he said haven't seen you lot for ages, but of course it's a bit harder to sneak in in the better grounds/bigger clubs, but he still came and wished us a safe journey home and to thank us for our support. All in all a great weekend, not sure i'd go again to the SOL
Vince