Posh updates

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Posh updates

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1985 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:07 am That's a good point about the forwards, I was only thinking yesterday when was the last time one of our forwards scored from open play, granted Pitman if you count him as a forward these days but he tends to play in the hole.

I'm glad we haven't relied on just one player to score goals but our forwards just aren't good enough.

My major concern if we don't go up is who we can keep hold of, and do we realise their true value if we are forced to sell from league one. The play offs are going to be huge for us.

I suspect we will lose, Clarke and Lowe.

Bids may come in for Curtis although I think his fading performances might have dampened some interest.

I could see some bids coming in for the keeper too, but he might not want to go as for the first time he is actually playing games.

I could see a bid for Close or Naylor too but they might not want to go and be a squad player elsewhere

I think Thompson will walk away for free.

The only way of fending some of this off (I think some of them will be off irrespective) is to win the play offs.
Agree it would be better to keep our best players by reaching the Championship.

But you're assuming that we will then survive in the higher league with these players. I'm not convinced our current squad is good enough, even with a few additions. We were well beaten by some other decent D1 teams recently.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

We wouldn't necessarily keep them but I think they would give it one more season with us.

I also wouldn't expect us to stay up but we have the core of a good side here that core will need replacing, settling and gelling whichever league we are in.. and I think that failure to go up expediates the need for the rebuild.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Looking at the highlights was a reminder of two things. How could a professional attacker not realise he had at least to stay level with Pitman? He had long enough to realise the situation he was in. And sad that it was Clarke's failed tackle that led to the third goal. C'est la vie!

As to the future. Major investment strategy decision will be needed whatever the outcome of this season if we are aiming for a decent Championship team.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Do people see Eisner investing heavily in the team? Every time I've seen him talk around finances it's always been about a slow, controlled and measured growth as opposed to splashing the cash. I appreciate going up to the Championship is going to require some strengthening so I'm curious to see if we do go up exactly how that strengthening happens.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

He won't splash the cash nor should he... But the sales I expect would fund some warchest.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

What I'm pretty sure I've heard the Eisners say is that any proceeds from the sales of the likes of Clarke & Lowe would be reinvested straight back into the team :thumb
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:46 am What I'm pretty sure I've heard the Eisners say is that any proceeds from the sales of the likes of Clarke & Lowe would be reinvested straight back into the team :thumb
Good to know...we need to get the going rate for Clarke who IMHO is one of (if not the) best CB's in the Div.