Iron Fran - S*ummer or not, that's quite some effort!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Iron Fran - S*ummer or not, that's quite some effort!

Post by This Time Next Year »

Today I happened across this...

Francis Benali (off of that stripey football club down the road) is currently partaking in one of the most ridiculous endurance challenges I've seen in a while. Starting on the 28th April, he is currently trying to complete 7 triathlons in 7 days. Sounds easy right? Well these are full distance Ironman triathlons.

For those not familiar with the distances, an Ironman triathlon is something that even the most commited of athletes wouldn't dream of attempting once, nevermind 7 days consecutively. It starts with a 2.4 mile swim, followed by 112 miles in the saddle, and once you've done both of those, you jump straight into a full 26.2 mile marathon distance run. :shock:

(For reference an olympic triathlon is a 'mere' 0.93/24.8/6.2 miles)

He's doing it to raise money for cancer research and you can follow his progress (and donate if you so wish) at www.ironfran.co.uk
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Iron Fran - S*ummer or not, that's quite some effort!

Post by RubiconCSL »

If I can do that in metres rather than miles or months rather than days, I'm in. Good luck to the man, stripey or not.
This Time Next Year wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:45 pm Today I happened across this...

Francis Benali (off of that stripey football club down the road) is currently partaking in one of the most ridiculous endurance challenges I've seen in a while. Starting on the 28th April, he is currently trying to complete 7 triathlons in 7 days. Sounds easy right? Well these are full distance Ironman triathlons.

For those not familiar with the distances, an Ironman triathlon is something that even the most commited of athletes wouldn't dream of attempting once, nevermind 7 days consecutively. It starts with a 2.4 mile swim, followed by 112 miles in the saddle, and once you've done both of those, you jump straight into a full 26.2 mile marathon distance run. :shock:

(For reference an olympic triathlon is a 'mere' 0.93/24.8/6.2 miles)

He's doing it to raise money for cancer research and you can follow his progress (and donate if you so wish) at www.ironfran.co.uk
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Great effort for a very worthy cause - full respect to Mr Benali !
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Yep, saw he was doing this, and he's done similarly mad things previously. Massive respect, and a nice bloke too.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well...good for him. I didn't think that was possible but after a bit of FACT checking I found some bloke from UTAH had done 50 triathlons in 50 different states in 50 days!
Kid Triathlon:
Put the clothes hanging on the exercise bike away
Take a 5 minute shower
Brisk walk to the car to drive to the ice cream store
Div III. Call it what it is.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:51 pm Yep, saw he was doing this, and he's done similarly mad things previously. Massive respect, and a nice bloke too.
Hmmm, hates us apparently. Saw him on a video doing "favvers gun"-looked a came across as a right **** tbh. But all that said this is a seriously good effort he's doing for a great cause so respect to the bloke for it.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Benali's Iron Fran
7 IRONMANS IN 7 DAYS

Southampton Football Club legend Francis Benali has taken on his toughest challenge yet: 7 Ironman distance triathlons in 7 days in a bid to raise £1m for Cancer Research UK.
The Southampton dad-of-two is swimming 2.4 miles, cycling 112 miles and then running a 26.2 marathon EVERY DAY for seven consecutive days, from 29 April to 5 May, for his third epic fundraiser for the charity.
On Sunday 5 May he will complete his swim, run the ABP Marathon and then cycle 112 miles, finishing his final challenge in Guildhall Square, Southampton.
Keep up to date by following him on the official website, Facebook

Fantastic effort-the above from SCC update.