vs Sunderland (1st leg)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

vs Sunderland (1st leg)

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Team news a bit of a surprise - Pitman, Brown and Haunstrap all injured. So Walkes at LB! McGeady could have a field day up against him.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Re: vs Sunderland (1st leg)

Post by OldSpice »

and no defenders on the bench, although Naylor could go into defence if needed...
PUP
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

That was painful wasn't it - two very average teams and a very whistle happy ref.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

We looked a bit clueless.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

At least our fans put in a performance. Sunderland deserved to edge it. We faded after a bright start. Still, it’s all to play for on Thursday.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

3 times we have been in the play offs and every time we have lost the away leg 1-0. I'd have taken that before the game. Just got to hope Pitman is fit for Thursday.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I think that the performance rather than the result is the big concern.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

I was at the game. The first time I’ve Pompey live for ages (I was away in Spain for the game at SoL in April) so bear with me.

Dull game overall with neither side creating much. We had no creativity in the midfield but Naylor was really solid at the base. Evans offered little and his lack of pace really showed. Hawkins suffered from a lack of service but even when he got the ball didn’t do much with it.

The centre backs looked rock solid in open play and Clarke was the creative driving force in the latter part of the game.

Lowe made a couple of good runs in the first half but went off the boil after he was taken out early on.

After the sending off Jackett told the team to play wide but at times this left nobody in the middle!

Not sure it was a sending off but haven’t seen it again.

The ref had a shocker. There were three big fouls in the phase before the goal and none got called. Sunderland players were chippy SOBs so I’m glad one got sent off.

“You only sing when you’re winning” could have been made for the home crowd. The cheers for the goal were more shocking than the goal itself.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Watching on ESPN+ as Laura was reminiscing on her childhood with the kids.....we were driving all around Los Angeles County, but my internet served me well :-)

I think there were two very tired teams who knew each other too well and cancelled each other out. I don't think there will be too much difference on Thursday, but hopefully the crowd will lift the players. I stand by my prediction on the other thread, though Sunderland are looking as woeful as us at present. Not a great game to watch, but I think KJ had the mindset of don't concede and it worked fairly well. Apart from the goal and the chance a couple of minutes before, no one looked like scoring.

Roll on Thursday and hopefully a cracking atmosphere.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Looked to me like we'd never score , even against 10 men I don't think we had a shot on target and now we have to win by two clear goals , not happening, and even if it does we'll not beat Charlton playing like that
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

We started brightly... Then Sunderland came back into it, then after the red we bossed it again.

The problem.is we didn't get the ball into the box anywhere near enough, we played it around the full back positions and ended up.over playing it on a number of occasions.

We could have had a pen for the shove on Hawkins.

My main worry is the lack of a third change... And also that yet again our most creative player was Clarke with his runs forward.

Lowe needs to do more, has he had his head turned?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Following a good start, I thought we were average at best. Can't see us winning by two clear goals on Thursday. Suspect it might go to penalties. If we do go through, no chance of beating Charlton, assuming that it will be them in the final. Basically, half our team just not good enough. i.e. everyone bar Big Mac, Thompson, Clarke, Naylor, Lowe and Pitman.

... and I'm afraid to report that Clarke is off whether we get promoted or not.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Clarke was always going to go... Hopefully good move for him and good money for us.