What if?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

What if?

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I know that failure to get promotion this season will probably see Clarke and Lowe depart, however what if that isn't such a terrible scenario?
I don't mean that they aren't excellent players, and of course we would miss them hugely. But the 5-6M that we would get would be a massive war-chest to significantly strengthen the team in key areas.
Ultimately we could end up with much better team/squad next season, perform much stronger, and get promoted in a healthly state.
We have good scouts (although they work best in August it seems!) who have found gems like Lowe, Curtis, Brown, McG - there are a lot more of those players to be found out there.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: What if?

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Clarke and Lowe gone, but also Thompson (out of contract, although I think Walkes has shown well this season as a RB) and Curtis (mostly rumour, but not happy) and McGee who will want to play and Bass who will need a loan deal to be fair to him (he essentially hasn't played for two years). Add on players like Adam May who deserves an opportunity to play somewhere, and we could end up needing a lot of new faces. I just hope that we don't overdo the loans (yet again).
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The most important signing we can make this summer (irrespective of which league we're in next season) is the contract for a new stadium.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I have it on good authority that Clarke is definitely gone, but not sure about Lowe. I sat next to a Spurs supporter at the ODI at the Oval last Wednesday - one of his best mates just happens to be Lowe's agent, and he was talking as if he wasn't going anywhere, but money talks!
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Well the incentive is there to get us promoted then so they can get more cash.
Get your arses in gear lads then you can have a nice holiday and a bumper payday. :thumb
I am me, the universe and you.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm I have it on good authority that Clarke is definitely gone
I think we are lucky to have been able to keep him for as long as we have in truth. I hope we get in the region of £5M plus add-ons for him.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm I have it on good authority that Clarke is definitely gone
I think we are lucky to have been able to keep him for as long as we have in truth. I hope we get in the region of £5M plus add-ons for him.
Yes....lucky to have had Matt Clarke.....Pompey Player of the season this year....

....Adam Webster was even better imho....Bristol City Player of the Year this season at Championship level.

That's two very fine players to grace the FP pitch.

Such a shame Jack Whatmough is so injury prone because he's of similar pedigree....perhaps not so good as those two on the floor but possibly better than either in the air.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Add Dion Donohue to the list of departure. No great surprise given his season, but the third year option not taken up by Pompey.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8927688
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am Add Dion Donohue to the list of departure. No great surprise given his season, but the third year option not taken up by Pompey.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8927688
Completely understand why he has been released. His sickness and injury record is not good. Shame as showed glimpses of quality when on the pitch. The best crosser of the ball in our squad, and will never forget that pass to Andre Green for his goal against Norwich in the FA Cup. Talking of the latter, did anyone else watch the WBA v AV 2nd leg last night? Green started for Villa - he was poor and is at best a L1 player.