Kenny Get Ya Jacket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Kenny Get Ya Jacket

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:06 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 pm What planet are you guys on?
Sunderland`s wage bill makes ours look like small change. They are still receiving the parachute payments from the Premier League. This match was probably one too far for Pompey but what have we achieved this season? A Cup win and wonderful day out at Wembley. Four places higher this season than last. A top six position that most of us would have taken at the beginning of the season. 88 points which would have had us promoted in many seasons in the past. Club record Away Wins. Yes we did not get to the "Play Off" Final, yes we did not get promoted. Be realistic we would have struggled in the Championship next season without major investment (which would not happen). Lets regroup make some astute signings, lose Clarke for serious cash and use that to strengthen the areas that we all know need improving.
Thank you. :thumb
To be fair, I don't think anyone on here is losing the plot, just asking some reasonable questions of the manager now that the season is over. I agree the season has been an improvement and a success, but based on his management so far is it wrong to ask whether KJ will use transfer money well to buy the players we need and equally importantly, will he buy players that can play more attractive and effective football or just more of the same?

Personally I hope that Kenny decides to go for a more expansive style of football and recruit accordingly this summer. But generally it seems that most football managers have "their style" and never change.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

BlueinPLtwenty.... Exactly

What is it people want? But for the last 10 games of the D2 promotion season many were calling for Paul Cook's head and criticising his possession based style of play.

Seems like neither direct play nor tippy tappy possession football is good enough. So many contradictions!

It was a good season with a disappointing end but I fully expect us to come out of it stronger than before and have another good go at promotion next season. Getting out of D1 is not an easy undertaking but KJ knows how to do it. Don't panic, keep the faith!
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I just want to be entertained . I couldn't really care less in which division
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Mr D Nuts" post_id=889744 time=1558099217 user_id=42772]
I just want to be entertained . I couldn't really care less in which division
[/quote]

You are Nuts Mr. D
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm I just want to be entertained . I couldn't really care less in which division
You are Nuts Mr. D
I suppose only an absolute lunatic would want to watch an entertaining game for their £25 or whatever :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I’d like us to be England’s Champions just like we were for my first two years as a supporter. But the world has moved on.
At the start of the season our entire squad was valued at £4.5 million. Will Grig was signed by Sunderland for £4 million in January. And he came on as a sub last night! If there was correlation between player costs/value we should have lost by several goals, not just one. While dull and frequently wasteful, long balls ended up with us creating several chances. I don’t recall Sunderland creating one clear cut chance with their clever passing. But keeping possession saw them through. Roll on August.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

New Forester wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 pm I’d like us to be England’s Champions just like we were for my first two years as a supporter. But the world has moved on.
At the start of the season our entire squad was valued at £4.5 million. Will Grig was signed by Sunderland for £4 million in January. And he came on as a sub last night! If there was correlation between player costs/value we should have lost by several goals, not just one. While dull and frequently wasteful, long balls ended up with us creating several chances. I don’t recall Sunderland creating one clear cut chance with their clever passing. But keeping possession saw them through. Roll on August.
I think one the most frustrating thing is the lack of a plan b, we seem to jut go direct and if that doesn’t work changes the players and carry on.

In fairness to Sunderland they didn’t need to create any chances, they just had to stop us scoring.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I feel we are still very much a work in progress. If Pep or Jurgen happen to be available for peanuts in the summer and desperate for a job on the south coast, then maybe we should have a look. But, as has been said, we would struggle big time if we went up without big investment (which we won't get). All three that do go up will struggle without big investment - none of them have been way ahead of us, other than maybe one good striker each. Sunderland may do okay, as they have a bigger budget.

I'd still rather we did it slowly. A new stadium must be a higher priority than spunking all our cash on a season or two in a higher league. L1 has been fun and we have been successful. I for one would like to see a bigger stadium, so that fans like me that live and work far away which prevents us from buying a season ticket, might get to see a game or three without having to plan it months in advance (which I can never do).

I can't say I'm a huge fan of KJ; he doesn't inspire me (so probably doesn't inspire players either). But he is here and we aren't that big that we'll attract much better at the moment. This is his level, so he does well here. As and when and if we go up on merit, then maybe we can attract a better and proven Championship manager.

Yes, after the early season especially, it is disappointing. But I'm a Pompey fan of many years, so disappointing isn't exactly new to me!

It will be sad to see Clarke and Lowe go (which seems inevitable). But hopefully we'll get some good bunce for them, which can/will be well spent wisely on new faces. One or two more from the academy and not so many loans next season and we may even be stronger.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

My sentiments exactly regarding Jackett . He reminds me a bit of Steve McClaren even down to the way he conducts the post match interview . All he needed last night was an umbrella.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 pm What planet are you guys on?
Sunderland`s wage bill makes ours look like small change. They are still receiving the parachute payments from the Premier League. This match was probably one too far for Pompey but what have we achieved this season? A Cup win and wonderful day out at Wembley. Four places higher this season than last. A top six position that most of us would have taken at the beginning of the season. 88 points which would have had us promoted in many seasons in the past. Club record Away Wins. Yes we did not get to the "Play Off" Final, yes we did not get promoted. Be realistic we would have struggled in the Championship next season without major investment (which would not happen). Lets regroup make some astute signings, lose Clarke for serious cash and use that to strengthen the areas that we all know need improving.
Well said that man
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 am
portchesterblue wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am Yep good riddance, I mean 4th in the league and a cup win, absolute shocker of a season.
I don't think that anyone would say that this season hasn't been successful, and the stats back that up. The issue is more that will KJ's approach take us much further than this? And also, we all want to watch a more entertaining style of football. KJ seems a good bloke and has consolidated us in League One and I would imagine will continue to get us into the play offs each year playing hoofball, but is that the limit of our dreams?

In the most important game of the season he put our two best wingers on the bench and left one there the whole game. I understand he said they were tired, but he has played them week-in week-out all season, but waits until the final and most crucial game to change it around! I imagine they are both pretty cheesed off and it will prove to Lowe why he needs to take his chance to leave this summer, and it could escalate Curtis' rumoured discontent.
You say that he left out the 2 best wingers, curtis had been panned for weeks and kj has been panned for continually playing him
Need to make your mind up
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well, 8th last year and 4th / play offs and a trophy this year. The man has earned another year imo. Don't see how you can guys that improve each year.

Of course, I don't have to watch the football!
Div III. Call it what it is.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 am Well, 8th last year and 4th / play offs and a trophy this year. The man has earned another year imo. Don't see how you can guys that improve each year.

Of course, I don't have to watch the football!
Well no doubt an interesting summer of moves ahead and see what happens next season :thumb
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I think that Ben Thompson was an important player for us in the first half of the season, and when he was recalled KJ by all accounts thought that Sean Longstaff was coming to us on loan, which would have been an excellent replacement. The midfielders we did recruit all got injured whilst trying to get match fit, and our slump followed.

We lost all our loan players in January on recalls, and hopefully we will be able to avoid too much reliance on loans in 2019/20.

When you are a manager you are seldom able to sign everyone that you would like, especially in the lower leagues - I wonder what percentage of players that Pompey enquire about actual get to sign for us?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Chris Coleman is looking for a job.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix