Pitman

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Pitman

Post by Mr Dee »

Having a go at the ball boy was poor form aswell. Twit
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: Pitman

Post by uspompeyfan »

Looked like he was dropping a few f bombs in the kid's direction, and that was with 35 mins left to play...…. Maybe he should have used that at the rest of the team.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

He was. That was right in front of me .
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Maybe a fine of a couple of weeks wages to make a point...… after all, the players didn't earn them this week
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pitman shouldn't have sworn but the ball balls were poor tonight. They we're too young I'm afraid
Huntski
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Huntski »

Is it just me but Pitman looks like Mick from EastEnders (Danny Dyer).
Remember, excuses are like A-holes, everyone has got one.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pitman - almost certainly the worst captain we've ever had.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 pm Pitman - almost certainly the worst captain we've ever had.
Feels a bit harsh on him to make him the worst ever but I get your point. His moaning doesn't seem to inspire anyone and the fact that at times he gets bypassed by our style of play means he can be out of the game for long periods.

What makes a good captain is a good discussion. I'd start with maybe the best player on the team?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am What makes a good captain is a good discussion. I'd start with maybe the best player on the team?
In our current squad, it would have to be Tom Naylor for me.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am What makes a good captain is a good discussion. I'd start with maybe the best player on the team?
The captain of a football team has very little to do, certainly compared to cricket or even rugby captains. To my mind, their most important role is managing the referee. Being calm, collected and friendly will put a referee on your side, whereas shouting and tantrums get you nowhere. There is a huge difference between "you got that wrong" and "would you mind explaining that decision". Otherwise, just general encouragement for the team, especially if things are going badly or if an individual player is having a bad game.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am
Selsey Bill wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 pm Pitman - almost certainly the worst captain we've ever had.
Feels a bit harsh on him to make him the worst ever but I get your point. His moaning doesn't seem to inspire anyone and the fact that at times he gets bypassed by our style of play means he can be out of the game for long periods.

What makes a good captain is a good discussion. I'd start with maybe the best player on the team?
The captain, as with any leader of any team/company/organisation, has to be someone who can put the rest of the team's needs before himself. He has to be able to motivate them if they're not playing well. You cannot do that by swearing at them. Pitman is too motivated by his own ego to be a good leader.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Agreed - for this season just finished I would have made Matt Clarke captain, simply through leading by example. Next season who knows? Lee Brown might not be a bad option or Tom Naylor (as Selsey Bill advocates).
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I've always thought the captain should be a central defender or maybe the defensive midfielder. At the heart of the defence you do have some work to do that needs a leader....maintaining a line for offside, stepping up as a unit on set pieces etc etc.
Div III. Call it what it is.