All over for this year, but...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 66 times

All over for this year, but...

Post by eltorrro »

...what was your fav moment, day, memory of this season??

Mine..being at Wembley for CheckaTrade with my very excited 12yo granddaughter. I have never heard a girl of that age shout and cheer so loudly. Great day, good memories. 8)
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: All over for this year, but...

Post by New Forester »

Being at Wembley was great. But my pre season vigil on July 4th throughout the night which secured my change of seat will linger long in my memory. I now sit close to the half way line, far enough back to still have an unrestricted view and weather protection, just far enough from the gangway to avoid being disturbed by passers by and next to some great new friends. It will see me out.

And I’ve chatted to Selsey Bill. :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:50 pm Being at Wembley was great. But my pre season vigil on July 4th throughout the night which secured my change of seat will linger long in my memory. I now sit close to the half way line, far enough back to still have an unrestricted view and weather protection, just far enough from the gangway to avoid being disturbed by passers by and next to some great new friends. It will see me out.

And I’ve chatted to Selsey Bill. :thumb
Nice one NF - pleasure to meet you too :thumb
I love where I sit, unless it is raining with a south westerly!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

The day out at Wembley has to go down as one of the all time great Pompey days for so many reasons. It was "oh, such a perfect day".

PS Don't tell anyone, but I actually preferred to both FA Cup Finals
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Having attended only 2 games this season (Wimbledon and Coventry), it would have to be listening to Radio Solent as the winning penalty went in at Westley, and the look on Mrs NSS's face as I ran round the house like a lunatic! As an ex-shareholder I probably could have got a ticket and gone to the game, and now wish I had, but hey ho.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

SB...I agree. Don't know if it was because my gd was in attendance...just seemed like a more closer, family affair. Not that I didn't enjoy the Cup Final visits mind! 8)
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

eltorrro wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm SB...I agree. Don't know if it was because my gd was in attendance...just seemed like a more closer, family affair. Not that I didn't enjoy the Cup Final visits mind! 8)
For me, the semi final against Spurs was more enjoyable than either of the finals.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

What he said :)
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:24 pm
eltorrro wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm SB...I agree. Don't know if it was because my gd was in attendance...just seemed like a more closer, family affair. Not that I didn't enjoy the Cup Final visits mind! 8)
For me, the semi final against Spurs was more enjoyable than either of the finals.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Has to be Checkatrade Final, a fantastic moment to share with my son.

The only bright spark of the season ending is that the rumour mill will now start - being linked to everyone from everywhere!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Wembley was great (as ever), but for me the game of the season was Portsmouth v. Sunderland before Christmas. High quality football from both teams, although neither reached those heights again through the rest of the season and a stark contrast with the two play-off games of very poor football. A good result for us, and I really thought promotion was a possibility at that point.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 217 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

An amazing season really, it had almost everything. Why people cannot accept that, I struggle to understand. In my lifetime I have experienced 6 promotions spread over 60 years & seven relegations. Two Cup wins (yes the Check a Trade included), 6 visits to Wembley with Pompey. What I am trying to say is that Special Seasons are rare. This has been a "Special Season". Yes we did not get promotion, but reflect.

Where were we 6 years ago. I booked seats in the Away section at Shrewsbury because that could have been Pompey`s last match EVER!! Two seasons ago I was at Notts County where we clinched promotion and then at FP versus Cheltenham when we secured the Championship. This season I took my Daughter & Grandson to Wembley, what a day that was!

We take the good days and enjoy, the disappointments and move on. We are Pompey Supporters, totally unique and loyal, proper ones that is.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

For me, as with others, Wembley has to be the high point of the year, and probably not just the footballing year. It was my first visit to Wemberley with Pompey, and to have my 3 boys with me was something I'll never forget. As will be walking out of the tunnel, and sitting on the same seats as Kenny.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

My favourite moment was Hawkins outpacing the blunderland defender right @ the start of the 2nd half down here which earned a pen. To see him run past someone like he did was magical.