Pompey Squad 2019-2020

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey Squad 2019-2020

Post by Pompey Penguin »

This subject has been discussed in a few threads, but I thought it useful to have somewhere to draw it all together. 2018-19 is over, and as things stand this is the squad we have for 2019-20, with my opinions added (not they are worth anything). Obviously, there will be numerous changes, but here’s where we start.

Goalkeepers: Alex Bass, Craig MacGillivray, Luke McGee
On paper all is fine, but Alex Bass needs to play (out on loan) and I can’t see McGee being happy as backup again. Will likely need a new reserve GK. David Forde has been released by Cambridge and he is the sort of player who might do it (he will be 40 in December), just as an example.

Fullbacks: Lee Brown, Brandon Haunstrup, Anton Walkes
LB is strong. I would give Walkes the job of RB as I think he improved immensely this year. I have seen Haunstrup play RB and he isn’t a disaster, and covering both sides would up his game time. Haji Mnoga looks promising and could cover Checkatrade games, but he is very young, and there’s always Evans in emergencies. This would keep the squad size down. However, I suspect Jackett will sign a proper RB; if not Thompson, then someone else.

Centre-backs: Christian Burgess, Matt Casey, Matt Clarke, Jack Whatmough
A real area of need. We are all sure Clarke is off, and we won’t see Whatmough before 2020. Jackett has said that he wants three CB plus Matt Casey, so that means two new players.

Central Midfield: Andy Cannon, Ben Close, Adam May, Bryn Morris, Tom Naylor
In contrast, too many players although in truth Naylor is the only one who can really do his job. I expect Adam May to leave for a L2 club as he needs to play. This could work if Jackett played 4-3-3, but I can’t see it, so there will be real competition for places, especially if we get a proper No.10.

Wide Midfield: Ronan Curtis, Louis Dennis, Gareth Evans, Jamal Lowe
Apart from Evans, who knows? Curtis and Lowe could both go or stay. I like Dennis, but Jackett doesn’t and I am not sure that he is really a wide player. Again signings will also depend on who plays No.10 and how much wide creativity we need.

Forwards: Oli Hawkins, Brett Pitman
Along with CB, what it all comes down to. Hawkins is a good plan B, but not a first choice CF. Pitman is drifting into Conor Chaplin territory of not having a position he can play, although that could change if a No.10 complemented him properly. We know Jackett wanted and wants a strong, quick, goal scoring CF, but then doesn’t everyone? Omar Bogle is typical of these players in that they have a good season or two at one club and look like the second coming of Malcolm MacDonald, but then move on and fall apart. Picking the right one is very difficult and a bit of a lottery.

So, we probably need a reserve GK, a RB, two CBs, replacements for Lowe and Curtis (likely at least one), a No.10 and a proper CF. A busy summer ahead.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Pompey Squad 2019-2020

Post by Mr Dee »

I've heard rumours Dennis is a bit of a hot head/troublemaker behind closed doors which is why Jackett doesn't like him.
Whether this is true I don't know
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Pompey Squad 2019-2020

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:11 pm So, we probably need a reserve GK, a RB, two CBs, replacements for Lowe and Curtis (likely at least one), a No.10 and a proper CF. A busy summer ahead.
Good summary Pompey Penguin. I agree with you that an ageing back up GK is probably the best bet, rumours today are that McGee has been offered to Peterborough "numerous times" which suggests his time with us is up. You hope that there are some youth to come through in various positions in due course, but in reality the likes of Casey and Mnoga just aren't ready yet.
Morris and Cannon intrigue me as we paid a fee for both, so they must have done enough at their previous clubs to convince our scouts of their worth. With a proper pre-season you wonder if they could end up producing - Cannon is supposed to be more of a 10 I believe.
If big money is going to go into anything it needs to be on a centre forward, no gambles or non-league punts, let's get some quality in.