Sunderland

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 55 times

Sunderland

Post by New Forester »

Glad I’m not a Sunderland fan.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Sunderland

Post by blue architect »

Oh Dear! And they are such a big club too.
Not sure if its true but I believe the combined value of the three teams promoted is less than that of Sunderland.
I predict many players now having to leave as parachute payments start to dry up.
Well done Charlton - you've made my evening
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Delighted! Their Ground`s too big for them
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

If a Pompey supporter could have prepared the script for that game...that's exactly how it would have ended..last kick with 4 seconds to go...excellent...couldn't have happened to a bigger team...oops, forgot, there is no bigger team!!! Ha, ha!! 8)
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Charlton finished the season very strongly so not surprised at the result.
A little surprised at some posts because in two legs of the play offs Pompey failed to score, still revenge is obviously a dish best served cold-in fairness Sunderland were gifted the lead today so they probably got what they deserved.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I know Sunderland beat us in the play offs etc..but I feel a bit sorry for their fans TBH....they must be feeling pretty low right now

They seemed like a decent lot (those that i encountered in & around Wembley were anyway)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

For no good reason, I am always very happy when things go wrong for Blunderland / Newcastle / Boro.
No idea why....I've never even been to the NE.
But that said....BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Div III. Call it what it is.
yahoodlums
Alan Knight

Post by yahoodlums »

Looks like we'll be playing against them again next season. Their fans must be gutted. Got to say Charlton deserved it on form.
"You can break many things, but you can't break our spirit!"
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

I feel sorry for the fans getting to Wembley twice and losing, it’s a long journey from Sunderland.

I thought losing on penalties was bad, but the last kick of the game is a huge kick in the nuts, although reading the fans reactions they are criticise the team for lacking passion so may it was the right result.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I have no problem with Charlton winning. They finished third, and were the team that played best against us over two games all season (Luton probably next best). I will be pleased that we don't have to play them next year, and they will be my bet to finish highest in the Championship of the three teams promoted from L1.

The downside is that we will be sharing a division with Sunderland. They have one more year of parachute payments (£17M, estimated), and massive other income for a L1 side. I have little doubt that they will be throwing money at the problem; more £5M players sitting on their bench. Once again, L1 will be very tough next year, and another play-off appearance will be a success for us (and quite a few other teams).
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:46 am I have no problem with Charlton winning. They finished third, and were the team that played best against us over two games all season (Luton probably next best). I will be pleased that we don't have to play them next year, and they will be my bet to finish highest in the Championship of the three teams promoted from L1.

The downside is that we will be sharing a division with Sunderland. They have one more year of parachute payments (£17M, estimated), and massive other income for a L1 side. I have little doubt that they will be throwing money at the problem; more £5M players sitting on their bench. Once again, L1 will be very tough next year, and another play-off appearance will be a success for us (and quite a few other teams).
I’m not so sure they can throw money at the problem. Which they tried to this year with grigg.

Cattermole, Oviedo and McGeady alone are taking £100k per week combined, I’m sure grigg didn’t join for nothing let alone the rest of the team.

Also whilst they will get parachute payments next season is half what they got this season and they either have to cut their cloth or bankroll it again and hope for the best.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Have a look at these 2 articles. Perhaps Sunderland throwing money at the prob;em next season may not be as straightforward as they think.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... qWqlsAwqhQ

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business ... ol1qQonq-Y
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

rumourmonger wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:33 pm Have a look at these 2 articles. Perhaps Sunderland throwing money at the prob;em next season may not be as straightforward as they think.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... qWqlsAwqhQ

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business ... ol1qQonq-Y
Quite scary if they don’t get promoted next season.