Play offs?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Play offs?

Post by New Forester »

Are they fair? Aston Villa 5th v Derby County 6th. Both several points behind third and fourth place. Aston Villa who finished seven points behind Leeds go up. Play offs create interest for many clubs and excitement and more money but are they a fair way of deciding the third promotion place? Aston Villa are now better off by £170 million next year. Their fans will think play offs were a great idea. But Leeds fans?
Rant over. Nothing will change. But I feel better.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Play offs?

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I have always thought that the fairer system would be for the 3rd placed team in the league to go straight into the final, then the 4th and 5th placed teams play to win the other final place.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

How about 6th play 5th - single game, with 5th playing at home. Winner goes for a single game against 4th - again 4th play at home. Winner of that plays 3rd in a single game - 3rd play at home. I'd almost go as far as saying a draw would mean the home team goes through each round too. That gives the team in 3rd a massive advantage - which they have earned. It would still keep the league interesting because teams lower down would still fight for a top 6 finish. But the higher up you finish the advantage gets bigger, as it should.

If 6th still go up, then fair play to them, but at least the higher up you finish in the league, the more advantage you get. Oh and sod the glory of playing at Wembley. I'd have thought £170M would be far more important than winning a one off game at Wembley.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

remember the old days?

Top 3 went up

Story over.

Personally, I like the new format. Bit of drama and additional monies.
Hey ...if you want auto promotion, finish second or first.
Div III. Call it what it is.