Wimin

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Wimin

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Interesting to note that England v Scotland Ladies WC game drew 6.1 million viewers on TV.
Now, ok, that was probably 6000999 Scots women and Gladys from Sunderland who only gets BBC but still,,,,,pretty impressive numbers.
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Wimin

Post by RubiconCSL »

What I have watched in recent years of wiminz football, I liked. The quality is pretty good (other than the goalies) and there is much less play acting.

It's just a shame they banned the taking off of shirts when celebrating a goal. I'm sure Sep Blatter would make the kits more appealing too if he was still around.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

RubiconCSL wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 am What I have watched in recent years of wiminz football, I liked. The quality is pretty good (other than the goalies) and there is much less play acting.

It's just a shame they banned the taking off of shirts when celebrating a goal. I'm sure Sep Blatter would make the kits more appealing too if he was still around.
Yeah ….heard his kit plan was for Daisy Dukes and a halter top and compulsory girl on girl celebrations for goals scored.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

USA 13-0 Thailand

Lesson?

Don't put a 5'5" girl in goal
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

:thumb

Backs up my comment about the quality being good, other than the keepers! How many female keepers could possibly be the same height as their male counterparts? Maybe they need smaller goals - something I often thought about when my son was playing as a youngster. How a 7 year old (or a 20 something year old Thai) can be expected to get anywhere near the cross bar beats me.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm USA 13-0 Thailand

Lesson?

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Your son is obviously quite old!

Even when my 21yo was 7, they had minisoccer goals, which are only 6' high.
RubiconCSL wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:13 pm :thumb

Backs up my comment about the quality being good, other than the keepers! How many female keepers could possibly be the same height as their male counterparts? Maybe they need smaller goals - something I often thought about when my son was playing as a youngster. How a 7 year old (or a 20 something year old Thai) can be expected to get anywhere near the cross bar beats me.

Lesson?

I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Luxury! Mine is 27 now. But living outside a city, we were lucky to have a pitch or a goal! It was use the men's pitch or nothing. It was farcical seeing the goal keeper in his team; the goal may as well have been the width of the pitch! Anything above or beyond his diving reach was guaranteed to be a goal.

I bet you didn't have to do the dog-****** check before each match either.
Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm Your son is obviously quite old!

Lesson?

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

oh yeah....the dog poo check
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Too bl00dy true I do. I hate irresponsible dog owners. And foxes.
RubiconCSL wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm Luxury! Mine is 27 now. But living outside a city, we were lucky to have a pitch or a goal! It was use the men's pitch or nothing. It was farcical seeing the goal keeper in his team; the goal may as well have been the width of the pitch! Anything above or beyond his diving reach was guaranteed to be a goal.

I bet you didn't have to do the dog-****** check before each match either.
Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm Your son is obviously quite old!

Lesson?

I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Think the performance of the Argentinian 'keeper v The Lionesses put paid to the theory that women goalies can't be good at their job.....she pulled off several decent saves including one from an admittedly poor penalty.
Watch this space.....women 'keepers are improving!

As for making the goal smaller.....you'd upset them if you mentioned it I reckon.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48650306
Chelsea boss Emma Hayes believes that goals should be made smaller to compensate for women generally being smaller than men.
But former United States goalkeeper Hope Solo says that suggestion is "infuriating", adding that improvements should be made through "better goalkeeper coaching".
England boss Phil Neville says "there is not enough respect for goalkeepers" in women's football and that coaching standards have improved over the past 12 months.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Yes....definitely do not mansplain to the ladies that their goals should be smaller. Not a good idea.
It would be like suggesting they tee off from a tee closer to the green or play 3 sets of tennis instead of five.

Better off buying them a new vacuum, a better floor mop and some nice oven mitts for Xmas.

Interesting to note that the basketball hoop is in the same place whether you're male / female, 9 yrs old or 29, 5'2" or 6'7".....it just becomes a different game.

btw....why don't ice hockey teams hire the biggest, fattest most enormous dude they can find for goalie.....no skills required.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Women's goalkeepers look relatively even smaller these days because goalkeepers in the men's game have got bigger, both in height and overall body shape. I always think of Peter Schmeichel as the big change leader, but it probably started before that with players like peter Shilton trying to get bigger. Interesting to think that in the modern game Gordon Banks would have likely been rejected as too small.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Well dear oh dear. Where do you start with that mess.
I wont assign wimin behavior to the Cameroonies as the men are often worse but VAR?....what a mess. Not sure if football VAR is the same as the NFL where you have to have very clear evidence to overturn a call made on the field but those offside calls were hardly dead to rights....thought you had to have a bit o daylight these days, not just a sock. Also....back pass?...looked like a defender trying to control the ball in the 6 yd box to me.
So, goalkeeping and refs....poor.
I guess its a plus that Im even discussing the ladies game.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I think FIFA have to take a lot of the blame here. They seem to be using the Women's World Cup as a testing ground for the new rules alongside VAR. They would never get away with this sort of approach with a Men's World Cup.

As to VAR in general, I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. It will become normal to have 15-20 minutes overtime in games (as yesterday) if every decision is going to be sent for review. This will only become worse as players try to demand reviews when things go against them. The reviews take far too long, and as we saw yesterday, even then the decisions are not always "right". I believe that referees should be allowed to make a decision, and we accept some errors, so that the game keeps moving.

On yesterday's decisions. (1) The back pass was a back pass. It was controlled off the defenders foot, not a ricochet or off a knee. This is totally the goalkeeper's fault. In a lot of games you see goalkeepers in doubt just kick the ball away. Spectators are left thinking "was that really a back pass?", but goalkeepers don't take that risk. (2) England second goal clearly on-side; good use of VAR, although should have been a virtually instant decision. (3) Disallowed Cameroon goal was a disgraceful decision. She was maybe offside by the thickness of a sock, which is within the accuracy of camera resolution. When things are this close, the on-field decision must be allowed to stand; like umpire's call in cricket. (4) Injury time red card could have been given, but probably sensible to err to leniency given the time and state of the game. My opinion was that it was incompetent not malicious, but who can know?
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The Cameroon team certainly dragged women’s football kicking and screaming into the media spotlight.

They were the dirtiest team I’ve seen since the Cameroon men’s team of 1990.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."